Beach Boys SACD Remastered Series from Acoustic Sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Another interesting tidbit from this weekend's RMAF show. Chad Kassem from Acoustic Sounds announced that they have a couple of Hi Rez Audio album releases from the Beach Boys coming. He said that since these two albums were originally released in "Quad", the Hi Rez editions would also be available in Quad.

I think this comment relates to the earlier discussions here on QQ from someone asking questions about the quad encoding on a Beach Boy album - and what would be the best decoder to use to process that for a remastered release. So that project is definitely moving forward and the results will be surfacing in the months ahead on the Analogue Productions label.

Since the news came during the DSD Downloads update, the two Quad reissues will be available as DSD Downloads. While it wasn't said, I'm assuming they will also be available as Surround Sound SACDs.

Good news indeed!

These would be amazing SACDs. If only a download I'd have to pass on it. Odd how no titles were mentioned. I'd guess Surf's Up and Sunflower.

Would these be derived from the DY/EV encoded stereo masters, or are there actual 4 track quad masters that they can make these from?

Would these be derived from the DY/EV encoded stereo masters, or are there actual 4 track quad masters that they can make these from?

I'm guessing it's from the matrix encoded masters - much the same way that Mobile Fidelity turned an Ambisonics encoded album by the Cowboy Junkies into one of their Surround SACD releases.

Wikipedia says it was mixed for quadraphonic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf's_Up_(album)

Right - and then matrix encoded. At this point, what Analogue Productions has to work with all depends on what is still in the tape vault.

During Universal's SACD release program, there were requests from music fans for the Japanese Quad albums by the Jackson 5, Temptations, Supremes, etc. to be reissued. According to Universal Music officials in the U.S., those Quad tapes could not be found. So the earlier existence of Quad and Surround mixes doesn't necessarily mean that they are available today.

Right - and then matrix encoded. At this point, what Analogue Productions has to work with all depends on what is still in the tape vault.

During Universal's SACD release program, there were requests from music fans for the Japanese Quad albums by the Jackson 5, Temptations, Supremes, etc. to be reissued. According to Universal Music officials in the U.S., those Quad tapes could not be found. So the earlier existence of Quad and Surround mixes doesn't necessarily mean that they are available today.

They can't be that lost because Hip-O Select did a deluxe reissue of Diana Ross' 'The Last Time I Saw Him' which featured stereo fold-downs of the quad mix.

If it wasn't for Marcella I'd dislike that whole LP. Especially Cuddle Up. Good thing they packaged it with Pet Sounds.

They can't be that lost because Hip-O Select did a deluxe reissue of Diana Ross' 'The Last Time I Saw Him' which featured stereo fold-downs of the quad mix.

MCA had a fire a few years ago in L.A. they claimed they lost videotape backup of movies ...but ever since they've had a lot of master tapes that they have been unable to find...and mainly tapes of items that haven't been released on cd yet..

MCA had a fire a few years ago in L.A. they claimed they lost videotape backup of movies ...but ever since they've had a lot of master tapes that they have been unable to find...and mainly tapes of items that haven't been released on cd yet..

There was also a fire at Atlantic Records years ago that destroyed a lot of valuable master tapes. So you never know what is available today. Hopefully the record companies have made high quality backup copies for later use - and stored them at multiple sites.

It's very likely they looked at the wrong place.
Let's recall the Motown quads history:
2 titles released in USA as Q8 (Diana Ross live, Marvin Gaye live)
16 titles released as CD4 in Japan
The only shared release is Diana Ross live.

IMHO, since the big differencies that are present on the Japanese CD4 studio albums compared to the regular stereo-mono releases, it's very likely the Motowns has been mixed for quad *in Japan*. Motown USA didn't had a interest into quad and the only two releases were poorly distribuited (Jon, you can chime in...), so at the Japanese request for quads they shipped out a bunch of multitracks without ever checking if these were the right takes. Regarding "last time i saw him" probably it was a copy sent out from Japan, where it has been mixed and released on cd4, for a possible release as a Q8 in the USA that never happened due to poor sales of the two "test release" of DR and MG.

If i was in charge of the thing i will dig out the Japanese vaults, not the USA vaults

An interesting update from Acoustic Sounds. They now say that the entire Beach Boys catalog is coming out via their Analogue Productions label. So we're likely to see the albums arrive in SACD, DSD Download and Vinyl formats. Nice!

An interesting update from Acoustic Sounds. They now say that the entire Beach Boys catalog is coming out via their Analogue Productions label. So we're likely to see the albums arrive in SACD, DSD Download and Vinyl formats. Nice!

Sign me up for Pet Sounds on SACD.

Back