Beach Boys SACD Remastered Series from Acoustic Sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very likely they looked at the wrong place.
Let's recall the Motown quads history:
2 titles released in USA as Q8 (Diana Ross live, Marvin Gaye live)
16 titles released as CD4 in Japan
The only shared release is Diana Ross live.

IMHO, since the big differencies that are present on the Japanese CD4 studio albums compared to the regular stereo-mono releases, it's very likely the Motowns has been mixed for quad *in Japan*. Motown USA didn't had a interest into quad and the only two releases were poorly distribuited (Jon, you can chime in...), so at the Japanese request for quads they shipped out a bunch of multitracks without ever checking if these were the right takes. Regarding "last time i saw him" probably it was a copy sent out from Japan, where it has been mixed and released on cd4, for a possible release as a Q8 in the USA that never happened due to poor sales of the two "test release" of DR and MG.

If i was in charge of the thing i will dig out the Japanese vaults, not the USA vaults

Is there any way of getting some Quad/surround effect out of the "Last Time I Saw Him" Quad mix that's in stereo on the Hip-O Deluxe Edition 2-CD set of the album?

It "does things" via PLII but I think they're just random out of phase things rather than any semblance of Quad decoding?

Is there any way of getting some Quad/surround effect out of the "Last Time I Saw Him" Quad mix that's in stereo on the Hip-O Deluxe Edition 2-CD set of the album?

It "does things" via PLII but I think they're just random out of phase things rather than any semblance of Quad decoding?

You said by yourself. Once a cd4 mix is folded to stereo there's no way to separate things.

You said by yourself. Once a cd4 mix is folded to stereo there's no way to separate things.

Thank you (y)

Such a shame the Deluxe Ed didn't have the Quad mix on DVD (I'd have settled for Dolby Dig., just to have it discrete!).. it proves Universal have the Quad tapes for that Diana album at least I guess, unless it was a needledrop from the CD-4?

I'll have to have a look around to see if some enterprising soul has done a t/fer from the CD-4 to DVD-A or whatever :)

Thank you (y)

Such a shame the Deluxe Ed didn't have the Quad mix on DVD (I'd have settled for Dolby Dig., just to have it discrete!).. it proves Universal have the Quad tapes for that Diana album at least I guess, unless it was a needledrop from the CD-4?

Quite possible, since the not-so-excellent deluxe edition of "paranoid". The quad mix vas sourced from a cd4, and kinda noisy too. If only they knew it was also released on QR...

Ive already posted that Surfs Up has been remastered and mixed in surround.
Pardon the pun but Wouldn't it be Nice to have the forgotten remastered masterpiece at the very least issued on a CD?
With all these anthology and box sets containing yet another recently discovered demo version of Fun Fun Fun to accompany the other 8 versions already available et al, why the **** cant they just bolt on a dvd with the original quad and the recent remixes?
Duh?

Last edited:
Ive already posted that Surfs Up has been remastered and mixed in surround.
Pardon the pun but Wouldn't it be Nice to have the forgotten remastered masterpiece at the very least issued on a CD?
With all these anthology and box sets containing yet another recently discovered demo version of Fun Fun Fun to accompany the other 8 versions already available et al, why the **** cant they just bolt on a dvd with the original quad and the recent remixes?
Duh?

The Beach Boys Remastered Series will be issued on SACD. That will address the fans who want SACDs and CDs.

You could contact Acoustic Sounds and suggest a bonus DVD. My guess is that they would be more likely to issue a bonus disc as an SACD vs. a DVD.

An interesting update from Acoustic Sounds. They now say that the entire Beach Boys catalog is coming out via their Analogue Productions label. So we're likely to see the albums arrive in SACD, DSD Download and Vinyl formats. Nice!

14 Beach Boys SACD titles apparently announced in Winter 2013 Acoustic Sounds catalog. Also see below Steve Hoffman thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...d-mastered-by-kevin-gray.335207/#post-9674018

Maybe the Beatles are next?

14 Beach Boys SACD titles apparently announced in Winter 2013 Acoustic Sounds catalog. Also see below Steve Hoffman thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...d-mastered-by-kevin-gray.335207/#post-9674018

Yes. The ad doesn't seem to mention the plans to issue a couple of them in Surround as well.

On additional titles, haven't anything on the Beatles. But Analogue Productions is planning to reissue the Creedence Clearwater Revival Remastered Series on SACD disc and DSD Download.

An update on the Beach Boys Remastered Series on SACD from Analogue Productions. AP says they are continuing to work on the series and they are making progress. No projected release dates at this point.

Slowly to be sure. AP is more committed to high-profit downloads than anything else at this point.

Slowly to be sure. AP is more committed to high-profit downloads than anything else at this point.

Actually Analogue Productions is issuing albums in all formats - Vinyl LP, SACD and Downloads.

Vinyl LPs are the most expensive products at the moment (the Belafonte and Bennett LPs go for $50 each), but Vinyl LPs also hold the Top 8 sales positions on today's Acoustic Sounds best seller charts.
Best Seller # 9 is a DSD Download and we don't see an SACD until position # 12.

There are some very smart folks at Acoustic Sounds. They are giving the market what it wants to buy!
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=topsellers

An update on the Beach Boys Remastered Series on SACD from Analogue Productions. AP says they are continuing to work on the series and they are making progress. No projected release dates at this point.

The Winter 2014 Acoustic Sounds catalog arrived today with a 2-page spread on the BB titles. No release date given but the SACDs will contain both stereo and mono mixes (yay!) and the 200-gram vinyl LPs will be available in both formats. Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. Owner Chad Kassem adds:

"These are the best-sounding and best-looking versions of The Beach Boys records that have ever been produced. We're reissuing this classic and historic album catalog in its most premium and high-fidelity vinyl format to date"

Sounds very promising...

The Winter 2014 Acoustic Sounds catalog arrived today with a 2-page spread on the BB titles. No release date given but the SACDs will contain both stereo and mono mixes (yay!) and the 200-gram vinyl LPs will be available in both formats. Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. Owner Chad Kassem adds:

"These are the best-sounding and best-looking versions of The Beach Boys records that have ever been produced. We're reissuing this classic and historic album catalog in its most premium and high-fidelity vinyl format to date"

Sounds very promising...

The Beach Boys SACDs from Acoustic Sounds should be very good. Looking forward to these !

In the meantime I'm going with the SHM SACDs. Starting with Summer Days.... should have it in about a week and a half.

Back