HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the DVD-Audio/BluRay Audio release of this classic YES album, CLOSE TO THE EDGE, remixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson.

Yes CTTE Front 800.jpg
Yes CTTE Back 800.jpg

I have ofter wondered to myself if I could erase my knowledge of a classic album, then hear it again, would I end up liking it all over, or would it be a product of the time and place all those many years ago.

Well, CLOSE TO THE EDGE sort of fits that bill, mostly because I never owned it, and I don't even remember hearing it in the past. My YES listening over the past 30+ years has been "The Yes Album" and "Fragile". I never really got into anything else.

So, along comes a test copy of "CLOSE TO THE EDGE" for me, under a non-disclosure agreement, to check out on various players, in the car, and check for errors with menu's and such. The best part about doing this is that I get to hear the preliminary disc early. Can't tell anyone, but it's great to get all fired up and have a new DVD-A for the car.

Well, I have to tell you, I have been listening and listening to this album, and what the hell? How did I miss it. I LOVE IT!! (Well, at lest the first two songs). I keep playing them over and over. I still need to appreciate the third tune, but I really like the first two.

First off, you better have a center channel and a good center speaker, because the lead vocals are solo'd in the center. I know some of you don't like this, but Steven does this better than anyone, and it really shines in the car - as well as at home. But in the car, WOW!!

About 10 minutes into the first tune, the surround really envelopes the listener, as the rears and fronts have a vocal choir effect surrounding the listener, almost in a cathedral like manor. Then, the lead vocal "It get up, I get down" comes solo from the center. WOW! WOW! WOW!

I want to make a track marker here so I can go back to it for demo purposes. What an amazing job by Steven. To me, this is the center piece of the surround mix. The entire track is gorgeous in surround, and I'm really a first time listener. You guys who love this album will be blown away.

Track Two, "You and I", is tremendous as well. Superb use of the surrounds, and although I never owned this album, this was the tune I sort of remembered, but not in detail.

When this gets released in a few weeks, I'll be back with more. The beta testers got permission to review this disc today, so you may hear from a few more folks, but I already know this is a 10 for me.

And if anyone thinks I'm "sucking up to Steven", or anyone, well think what you want. I LOVE THIS DISC!!! :banana:

You know... I did a review this morning and then accidentally hit the wrong button and deleted the whole thing - however - it was identical in sentiment except, for me, I have heard this album several dozens of times and it is, by far, my favorite Yes album. That being said, hearing CTTE in 5.1 bought me back to the very first time I heard it and was blown away. I knew this was something really special then and it is even more special now. Steven Wilson's mix is just so perfect at building the sound around the listener that I really believe that the stereo mix will no longer be necessary. I don't often get goosebumps when listening to music but it happened at least a couple times while listening to this. The end of And You And I is so beautiful in surround that it just made my arm hair stand up.

I always thought that I was so lucky to be able to get these discs early to do quality control but receiving this one, being able to hear it - and know what you are all in for... I really can't wait for you all to hear this one.

I have always liked Steven Wilson's work. I LOOOOOOOOVE this disc!!

Oh... and the amount of stuff on the DVD-A disc will blow you away too!

Hey guys. It's not that I don't "like" the third track! :)

I seem to keep hitting "replay" on Tracks 1 and 2. Heck, I haven't even really listened to the extra stuff that much. I was never a fan of the version of "America" on the Fragile DVD-A, so I haven't given that track much of a chance at all.

There really is a lot of stuff on this disc. Fans of this album will really go nuts for it. Well, at least I think they will. I thought that about the first SW EL&P DVD-A, and that created all kinds of controversy here - so who knows? All I know is, I like this a lot, and like I said above, I was not a "Close to the Edge" fan at all, not knowing the album.

I'd say that Jon and Bob have covered the CTTE DVD--A really well. I would add that the first time you hear this, there is a top end clarity and presence that you're probably going to need a moment to get accustomed to!

I've been familiar with this record since 1974, arriving to the party a little late. It has always been a marvel of majestic rock in peak form. The vocals that are so important are treated with all the respect and detail that one might hope for. The enveloping vocals and use of the center are a joy at home and in the car are tops in my book.

I know how important this record is to long time fans and in my opinion it truly delivers! Just give yourself a moment or two to adjust to it and then have a ball. Navigation is simple, various streams and extras are well chosen. Recommended with no reservations at all!

Great to hear your thoughts on this one, Jon. This is my all time favorite album and I've listened to it hundreds of times through the years and can't wait for the chance to hear it in surround! The XTC one will be the one I'll be hearing for the first time.
I remember having the old Q8 on order forever back in the day. I'd walk down to our record store every Saturday just to be told that "it should be here next week". Of course, it never was and eventually I found out that nobody ever got it, but it was always listed in the catalog. So I figure I've been waiting for this one for 35+ years now.
I decided to order the dvd-a instead of the blu-ray. I'm not sure I care about the extras and would rather be able to put the iso on my hdd attached to my Oppo and not have to deal with the disc when I want to play it. I also get frustrated with load times on the blu-rays.
Really looking forward to this one. Thanks again for letting us know it's really coming and worth the wait.

K

Does this disc autoplay and go right to the 5.1 tracks? One reason I chose the dvd-a over the BR.

No - it doesn't autoplay.
What it does do is loads to the main menu (highlighting the 2013 mixes by default) so ENTER gets you to the audio select (highlights 5.1) then to the track list.
So load, then press ENTER, ENTER, ENTER & you get the 5.1
You will understand why when you get the disc.........

No - it doesn't autoplay.
What it does do is loads to the main menu (highlighting the 2013 mixes by default) so ENTER gets you to the audio select (highlights 5.1) then to the track list.
So load, then press ENTER, ENTER, ENTER & you get the 5.1
You will understand why when you get the disc.........

Thanks Neil- very helpful, as my 1st audition will be sans video, in a totally dark room (well maybe a candle) ready to enjoy the bliss that you and SW have made possible. Totally stoked!

That last line is intriguing... curiosity raised...

And thanks for making the 2013 mix and 5.1 the defaults! So happy when knowledgeable people do the work on these meisterwerks.

Well, CLOSE TO THE EDGE sort of fits that bill, mostly because I never owned it, and I don't even remember hearing it in the past. My YES listening over the past 30+ years has been "The Yes Album" and "Fragile". I never really got into anything else.

Jon, this is kinda surprising as YES is kinda a "love it like crazy" or "not for me" kinda band. So its surprising you dug TYA & Fragile but didn't dip you toe any further into the pool... I'm glad your enjoyed CTTE. Thanks for the review! - Thanks Rob for your review as well!

I would be the mysterious "third" 10 vote. I voted simply on the faith I have in SW/NW and the fact that the source is a clean multi. This makes for guaranteed sonic bliss. I still can't get over the job SW/NW did on the two ELP releases, so I am sure all future YES releases will be equally as perfect.

Amazon USA tells me CTTE release is Nov. 5. Whatever. As long as we get many more YES done from the mulit-tracks and I don't get run over by a metro bus in the next year or so, I think I will be ok.

I am so glad to hear that SW/NW have delivered as they have done before.

@Neil: "Marching powder"?. I lived in Hollywood for three years and never heard that term, you Brits are simply the best. Love the terminology. :)

Understandable that you are not allowed to tell the next title Tim. Whichever it will be, it will be stellar, at least when it is on par with the CTTE mix, as reviewed by Jon and Bob.
Gotta tell ya... I'm a big SW fan so I am probably a bit biased - but - if CTTE is any indication of the quality both in sound and mix, I believe that these discs will set a new benchmark. I really think it's that good. (Of course that's just one man's humble opinion - your mileage may vary)

We had to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to receive the test disc(s) we get from time to time. Because of the complexity of the DVD-A format and it's tendency to do different things on different player hardware, we get the discs not for the music but for the disc architecture. Of course, we take note of the content! :)

I can probably tell you that we have not received the "next" YES disc, so don't get your hopes up too soon. Even when we do get it, IF we get it, we won't be able to tell you all that we did get it. Sorry.

All I can tell you for sure that CLOSE TO THE EDGE is a disc that has gotten more play in my car than any DVD-A has probably since LOVE came out. No lie. It is a wonderful disc and I sincerely hope you all love it as well, and that we don't experience the controversy that we did when the ELP discs came out. If someone here does not like it, of course, we want it posted here along with the reasons, but please no campaign. I don't think I could take that again. :mad:@:

There isn't much to say that hasn't been said about the DVD-Audio version! :)
The BDA disc is absolutely spectacular!
For those who are looking to buy this one on Blu, you'll be amazed at the job that Steven & Neil & Co have done with it.
And just think, there's more to come!

Who has received this BR already? Who shipped it?
I pre ordered mine from Amazon and they show "we will email you when we have an availability" but when I go to the Amazon page for CTTE BR, it only shows "Available from these sellers". Like they had one and shipped it. WTF?

Who has received this BR already? Who shipped it?
I pre ordered mine from Amazon and they show "we will email you when we have an availability" but when I go to the Amazon page for CTTE BR, it only shows "Available from these sellers". Like they had one and shipped it. WTF?

It's not commercially available to the public yet.
It will be along shortly.

After hearing it the fifth time and comparing to old stereo mixes as well I give a 9 for the blu-ray.
There is as much content as for the XTC output, and most of the 5.1 mix is again perfect.

Nevertheless critics are that the main vocals in the first two parts The Solid Time Of Change and Total Mass Retain are still too loud for my taste, and the package is not so good as XTC's Nonsuch.

Back