HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
As with XTC's Nonsuch, this package is a definitive multi-channel, hi-res release. There is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with this at all. It hits every mark and delivers completely.

This album, on this format, is essential.

The sound quality is fantastic for a 1972 recording, full dynamic range and clear. An album I really like anyway, so IMHO the 5.1 mixes enhance the album, again one of those mixes that compliments the music. Chris Squire's Bass guitar sound really comes across in the mix (I have no LFE, but full-size speakers all round) you really hear the tonal sound of the strings. Lots of things in the 5.1 mixes I heard that are 'submerged' in the original productions that I'd never noticed before. :banana: Another great SW & NW output!

On the Denon DBP-2012UD the screen with the options to use the coloured buttons for audio select on the remote appears briefly, but didn't function. But using the remotes Audio button allowed me to select when playing, so I can select the 5.1 mix without turning on the TV. With the TV on its easy to select from the 2013 mixes screen.

Here are some images of the Blu-ray packaging (mini-LP cover style) and booklet.

CCF09112013_0000 (2048x2027).jpg
CCF09112013_0001 (2048x990).jpg
CCF09112013_0002 (2048x990).jpg

Attachments

• CCF09112013_0000.jpg
    CCF09112013_0000.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • CCF09112013_0001.jpg
    CCF09112013_0001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 991
  • CCF09112013_0002.jpg
    CCF09112013_0002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 989
  • CCF09112013_0004.jpg
    CCF09112013_0004.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 999
  • CCF09112013_0005.jpg
    CCF09112013_0005.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 994
  • CCF09112013_0006.jpg
    CCF09112013_0006.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:
I voted 8 on this one. I am not entirely happy with the 5.1 as some of the original key dramatic points have been downplayed I think in the 5.1 in order likely to keep all the detail that is present in the 5.1. In doing so, I think that some of the cohesion of the original work is lost. I need to listen to the 5.1 some more times but so far I am liking the 2013 stereo remix using the 7.1 stereo option on my receiver. To me this sounds the best.

I'm just wondering if a difference between the dvd a and BD? The BD is getting some mixed reviews but the dvd a is glowing? :confused: I ordered the dvd audio.

I'm just wondering if a difference between the dvd a and BD? The BD is getting some mixed reviews but the dvd a is glowing? :confused: I ordered the dvd audio.

Not sure about this. Can't imagine that there'd be a whole world of difference as both would be lossless. Personally, I don't have the DVD-A but the Blu Ray is outstanding, IMHO. There must be some of our number who've ordered both versions for their collections. Would be interested to hear their thoughts.

Perfect 10 for me! Steven Wilson has done it again!
The mix and the material is always the most important thing and in all ways this is a ten.
Listening to this last night and this morning I reached an almost spiritual state. I have never heard this album sound so good. A whole new world past the audiophile vinyl of the past. I got chills at points. The music may not be for everyone, but the songs and musicianship are prog rock at its finest.

There is only one VERY minor complaint, you cannot access America without turning your TV screen on or in the car selecting the second program. I think I would have preferred the track to simply come after end of the album. And yes, Wilson's mix of America is better than the Fragile DVD-A bonus, (which I really enjoyed).

I vote 9. I suspect more spectacular surround mix on the title track.
I suppose it's 16 tracks but sound materials are not so many.
And You And I track is the best, it has great ambient air space.
I can see 12strings S.H. sitting in the middle at recording booth.
Anyway, Allthrough Steven Wilson has done a great job on Yes.
I and my wife(she is a freak of Jon Anderson) listen on my system
several times and forgot time lapse. We are waiting for 30 years more.

IMG_0314.jpg

Last edited:
The blu ray of my favourite ever album finally arrived today :D. I've only had a chance so far to listen to the LPCM 5.1mix once, with a very large whiskey :banana:. This is probably the album I've heard more than any other in my life, so I will need a few more listens before I vote.

First impressions - Siberian Khatru is the one that wowed me the most. The separation of the music in all 3 songs is amazing, and the vocals sound incredible. On first listen I would say that the title track lacked a bit in power. Unfortunately at the moment I can't play music as loud as I would like - bloody kids! Can anyone tell me if the power comes back a bit when this is played loud?

The blu ray of my favourite ever album finally arrived today :D. I've only had a chance so far to listen to the LPCM 5.1mix once, with a very large whiskey :banana:. This is probably the album I've heard more than any other in my life, so I will need a few more listens before I vote.

First impressions - Siberian Khatru is the one that wowed me the most. The separation of the music in all 3 songs is amazing, and the vocals sound incredible. On first listen I would say that the title track lacked a bit in power. Unfortunately at the moment I can't play music as loud as I would like - bloody kids! Can anyone tell me if the power comes back a bit when this is played loud?

Yep, that was exactly my experience.
The louder the better :phones

Send the kids off to the cinema, and enjoy it! Mine are grown, so I do as I see fit-no wife it's safe here!

This blu ray (and Nonsuch too) says when you insert the disc in the player something like "this disc requires access to internet, grant this - yes or no". As my player isn't connected to the internet I say no! This doesn't normally happen with discs, (I seem to remember it happening with 2112). Question for anybody who knows - does anything magical and worthwhile happen if you do connect to the internet and say "yes" to the question?

I'm finding this a bit annoying, as blu rays take long enough to load as it is (after the player has taken its usual few minutes to turn on), without adding this extra step!

This blu ray (and Nonsuch too) says when you insert the disc in the player something like "this disc requires access to internet, grant this - yes or no". As my player isn't connected to the internet I say no! This doesn't normally happen with discs, (I seem to remember it happening with 2112). Question for anybody who knows - does anything magical and worthwhile happen if you do connect to the internet and say "yes" to the question?

I'm finding this a bit annoying, as blu rays take long enough to load as it is (after the player has taken its usual few minutes to turn on), without adding this extra step!

Hm, I don't get this message. I play them over a PS3.

This version of America is much better than the one on the Fragile DVD-A/SACD....(y)

I'm also really enjoying Siberian Khatru..... more later...

And now.....how do you like it?

And now.....how do you like it?

After a few more listens I have to say that the 5.1 is incredible. One thing that's slightly annoying me still though is that, in my opinion, you have to play it LOUD to really appreciate it. The title track does seem to lack a bit of power, compared to the original, unless you turn the volume up, and I can't always turn the volume up!! I like to hear BB's crisp snare and CS's growling bass without having to crank the volume. I'm still working my way through the extras, and have only listened to parts so far, but I can say that - America - awesome, and yes, better than that on the Fragile DVD-A, vinyl transfer - didn't sound particularly special to me, but hey, its an extra, stereo versions of original and new mix sound very very good. I'll try and listen to the alternative song versions tonight. The volume issue almost turned my 10 vote into a 9, but it didn't!

The physical packaging is great to look at, but not entirely practical. A replica gatefold sleeve that doesn't stay anywhere near flat. I think I prefer the DVD packaging. The plastic "bag" that it comes in I don't think is going to stay pristine enough in the long run, and frustratingly keeps sticking to the cover when it is taken out or put back in. The contents of the booklet are excellent, good to look at, and well written but one thing has bugged me a bit - did anyone else get this month's Classic Rock Prog magazine, the issue with Close to the Edge on the cover? Well the magazine contained a Sid Smith article about the album, which is pretty much identical to his essay in the new CTTE booklet. I say pretty much identical - some paragraphs have been swapped around, some words have been changed, and if anything the magazine version is slightly longer than the CTTE booklet version. I'm not complaining, I just thought this was strange. I guess we've been spoilt recently by the excellent Benefit booklet!

After a few more listens I have to say that the 5.1 is incredible. One thing that's slightly annoying me still though is that, in my opinion, you have to play it LOUD to really appreciate it. The title track does seem to lack a bit of power, compared to the original, unless you turn the volume up, and I can't always turn the volume up!! I like to hear BB's crisp snare and CS's growling bass without having to crank the volume. I'm still working my way through the extras, and have only listened to parts so far, but I can say that - America - awesome, and yes, better than that on the Fragile DVD-A, vinyl transfer - didn't sound particularly special to me, but hey, its an extra, stereo versions of original and new mix sound very very good. I'll try and listen to the alternative song versions tonight. The volume issue almost turned my 10 vote into a 9, but it didn't!

The physical packaging is great to look at, but not entirely practical. A replica gatefold sleeve that doesn't stay anywhere near flat. I think I prefer the DVD packaging. The plastic "bag" that it comes in I don't think is going to stay pristine enough in the long run, and frustratingly keeps sticking to the cover when it is taken out or put back in. The contents of the booklet are excellent, good to look at, and well written but one thing has bugged me a bit - did anyone else get this month's Classic Rock Prog magazine, the issue with Close to the Edge on the cover? Well the magazine contained a Sid Smith article about the album, which is pretty much identical to his essay in the new CTTE booklet. I say pretty much identical - some paragraphs have been swapped around, some words have been changed, and if anything the magazine version is slightly longer than the CTTE booklet version. I'm not complaining, I just thought this was strange. I guess we've been spoilt recently by the excellent Benefit booklet!

As I said, I would prefer the physical packaging as the XTC one.
Don't you have the feeling, that the main vocals are very loud in the first two sequences of CTTE?

BTW: America is really great. Best Version I know. :)

As I said, I would prefer the physical packaging as the XTC one.
Don't you have the feeling, that the main vocals are very loud in the first two sequences of CTTE?

BTW: America is really great. Best Version I know. :)

No, I can honestly say that I don't get that feeling.

Ok WAYSIDE MUSIC ! after hearing about all the shipping delays someone here mentioned that they had stock so after 2 locals (Best Buy & FYE) failed to have it i ordered it and it was shipped in 3 days ! anyway..... I listened to it a few times now and its always been one of those (Life soundtracks) ! as with all the Blu Ray version releases i find that extra thump or kick in the low end department ! Chris's Rickenbacher is crystal clear and the low end that is rolled off sometimes to give it that RICK crunch is there giving it a nice bottom (I'm a Rick player myself). The mix is very clean with lots of space, This just might be the way my system is set up but at 3mins into CTTE Steves Lead is lost in the mix ! after listening to this album my whole life that little lead always stuck in my head ! again this just might be the way my system is set up! I find the vocals a bit loud on CTTE but after a few listens they are fine. overall i am very grateful for the work that Steve puts into his projects I would have never imagined years ago when these albums were released that this would be there destination, Multi channel ! I give it a solid 8.

One thing that's slightly annoying me still though is that, in my opinion, you have to play it LOUD to really appreciate it.

:mad:@:

And this is bad, "how"?;)

Blimey mate, are you turning more "Peter Rabbit" and less "Pete Townshend"???

Just crank it up! :banana:

Actually, I have noticed what you speak of with many of my 5.1 discrete mixes. I always thought it was due to the sound coming from 5 physical sources instead of 2, so there is much more head room before your ears perceive a saturation point from any given speaker. Kinda like the better the sound system in a venue, the cleaner it will sound and our ears won't think its that loud but it actually is.

I am just happy you got your CTTE 5.1 disc. Deepdiscount.com has mine in transit, I hope it is in my mailbox when I get home tonight. Don't worry I will not hesitate to crank it up to the limits of my new Onkyo receiver @100 plus real watts...:cool: I get up, I get down, indeed!

Back