HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
Some people will never be satisfied with a remix (stereo or surround) because it either tampers with what they know and love to too great an extent, or the remixer made (or did not make) decisions that another mixing engineer would have handled differently.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the way this surround mix sounds and would gladly recommend it to anyone and everyone who still hasn't made this release a part of their collection. :)

Some people will never be satisfied with a remix (stereo or surround) because it either tampers with what they know and love to too great an extent, or the remixer made (or did not make) decisions that another mixing engineer would have handled differently.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the way this surround mix sounds and would gladly recommend it to anyone and everyone who still hasn't made this release a part of their collection. :)

True, true.. you can't please all of the people all of the time but you've got to give the people, give the people what they want so please them some of the time and you're in business.. :friday: ..you know.. just while we're chomping on this bone, i cited a few obvious old quad 360 pans but round the room jobs can be subtle things too, no remixing chappy should be afeared of doing it in these 5.1/7.1/9.1 times (Scheiner's Winelight even has round the room stuff.. and thats the best 5.1 mix of all time, its official) :D

oh Ps. I just noticed I gave this a solid QQ "8 out of 10" on here at some point.. maybe it was because nuffink went round the room or nuffink.. I forget exactly why now.. maybe I rabbited on about it here at the time.. I need to play it again, Sam and refresh the leetle gRay cells.

*Your last remark made me think of the distortion on John Lennon's voice during his scream on She's So Heavy that was "corrected" on the 2009 remasters. To me doing so made the track lose a lot of its charm. Just to be clear, I have no opinion on the Karn Evil 9 issue.

There are certain "defects" on songs and albums that I find endearing. I feel a sense of loss when they are corrected in a remix or remaster. There's a spot in "Eminence Front" where Roger and Pete are slightly out of sync with each other, and I love it. I've read that it was "fixed" later. I'd rather have the defect.

Some bands (Pink Floyd) often use trickery to correct mistakes from live performances. I understand why they want to do that, but I'd rather they leave the defects in.

In terms of panning solos around, I'm not always a fan, but it sometimes works really well. I think the Quad mix of Atom Heart Mother is an example where that worked really well, but it was a slow, meandering pan around the speakers.

Regarding remix vs. original mix, I sit in a very privileged position. I wasn't all that familiar with Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and some of Tull until Steven Wilson started his work. Therefore, I don't have an original mix that I loved before he did his work. I feel no sense of loss if he changed (or didn't change) something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A great record, listened to this a lot when I discovered classic progressive rock. I still hold Yes Album, Fragile and Tales... a bit higher though. This record however screams self-confidence, basically you get the feeling that they could do ANYTHING and get away with it. Well, perhaps that was the very reason why progressive rock went straight up its own a-hole in the public eye. Anyway, a great record it is and a good 5.1 mix it is, but this is the first time that I'm not overwhelmed by the outcome.

The first track is a mixed bag for me in surround unfortunately, the Total Mass Retain part has a somewhet muddy, almost wet bass, more humming than punchy, while the I Get Up Part is pure bliss, Wakeman recorded this in a church and this mix really take you there! And You And I starts promising with acoustic guitars now more clear in the rears and the organ later on that really obscures you while keeping the drums in the fronts. The Eclipse section is excellent, however the Preacher, Teacher section doesn't impress me as much, with its LOAD of different sounds, so coherent in stereo but doesn't give me the sweeping effect I'd wish for in surround. Big hopes for Siberian Khatru, having learned to appreciate Stevens capability of separating the instruments along with this track having more air in it than the others and - yes, he nailed it. Nicely done, more clarity, better separation.

All in all a great record, a good surround mix, I don't think my slight disappointements in between some parts really have nothing to do with the job itself, but more the way the songs are structurered and layered in the first place.

An 8.

Last edited:
i am going to like this one. Never bought this on vinyl or listened to it much way back when, and right now it's really getting a work out. Phenomenal !

I've had this disc for quite some time just never got around to rating it. When the LP first came out I recorded it onto cassette from a friends LP, the recording level was a bit hot which caused distortion on Jon's vocals in several places on And You And I, the distortion wasn't bad sounding it gave Jon's vocals a surreal electronic sound I loved it. Several years latter I purchased my own LP copy, then latter still I purchased the MFSL "Audiophile" LP. Edge is more consistent than Fragile, it just lacked a big hit. The Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is superb, sound quality excellent. You get so much on the Blu-Ray, I can't imagine ever needing another version of this. A 10 for sure!

Fantastic! This definitive edition of Yes' Close To The Edge was my first Blu-ray audio purchase when it came out and I love it. Knew I would love hearing the LP in 5.1 and I wasn't disappointed. I give it a 10!

:51banana:

My all time favourite Yes album, I have the BD and the DVD-A... A definitive 10 from me..

Tried again...

Nope.

The EQ is scooped out (lots of lows and highs, but mids?) and the backing vocals are just too loud. If you really know the original sound, this is awful.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes?

...Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes?

Whether or not you like them, I doubt we would even be talking about them without Steven Wilson. I enjoy them enough to keep them in my play list.

Tried again...

Nope.

The EQ is scooped out (lots of lows and highs, but mids?) and the backing vocals are just too loud. If you really know the original sound, this is awful.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes?

I disagree with you, with a huge caveat.

I am not nearly as familiar with the original mixes. There are details you clearly remember from the original that I simply don't recall and did not have an affection for.

Without the a deep memory of the original mix, I quite like the presentation. I think the Yes Album and Fragile were the best. I would be interested to hear how someone else might mix CTTE, TFTO, Relayer, etc.

I listened to CTTE hundreds of times before I listened to the amazing Steven Wilson mix in multichannel surround sound. If I am home and I still have a minimal of four speakers, or a five point one system like today, this is the one I will be cranking. I can't imagine going back to the original. This mix is amazing and blows my mind every time. To suggest he should step away from the mixing desk is absolutely the funniest thing I have ever heard on this forum, other than the new Peppers mix isn't loud.

A strong 9. I believe I wrote in the past how revealing this mix is, for better and worse.
Yes, you discover parts you didn't notice in stereo. However, I think the magic of the stereo mix is how it all gels together.
That is missing here, to my ears. Some parts sound over-exposed to me, like they were meant to be blended and sound a little stark isolated.
Not a big deal. I enjoy both the stereo and surround of this album. Thrilled to own it.

Last edited:
I listened to CTTE hundreds of times before I listened to the amazing Steven Wilson mix in multichannel surround sound. If I am home and I still have a minimal of four speakers, or a five point one system like today, this is the one I will be cranking. I can't imagine going back to the original. This mix is amazing and blows my mind every time. To suggest he should step away from the mixing desk

I did suggest that...for Yes.

I'd be interested in what Eddy Offord could do with his old work, in surround. He 'got' Yes in a way Wilson seems not to.

is absolutely the funniest thing I have ever heard on this forum, other than the new Peppers mix isn't loud.

Well there's no accounting for taste in humor as in anything else. :D

I very strong 9. I believe I wrote in the past how revealing this mix is, for better and worse.
Yes, you discover parts you didn't notice in stereo. However, I think the magic of the stereo mix is how it all gels together.
That is missing here, to my ears. Some parts sound over-exposed to me, like they were meant to be blended and sound a little stark isolated.

Yup, that's part of it . But I find it hard to understand why someone holding such an opinion would give it a '9' , because....

Not a big deal. I enjoy both the stereo and surround of this album. Thrilled to own it.

...'how it all gels together' seems pretty crucial to me.

It's interesting that SW got The Yes Album right with nary a misstep. It still has the sound and feel of the original -- it gels together. It was a simpler recording, and I wonder if that played a part.

It was a simpler recording, and I wonder if that played a part.

That is my theory. CTTE was very ambitious. I think maybe Yes didn't entirely pull it off in the studio and the original stereo mix nicely buries some weaker stuff tastefully.
Like an out of tune vocal here and there. Stuff like that sounds tighter if mixed a certain way.

I can honestly and gladly go with 9 because I immensely enjoy the BD, even if I would have mixed a thing or two differently.
But it ain't no Fragile, TYA or Raven.

Back