HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
I voted 10. SW obviously has great respect for the material and has done a masterful job with both the stereo and surround mixes.

I'm thrilled that more Yes titles are soon to follow.

***EDIT : OK, it's done, forget it ^^ ***

Hello there, haven't been online for awhile. I have a very strange request for you fellow forumeurs on this BD : could someone give me just the exact timing of the different versions and bonuses from this BD ? I don't mean song by song, but version by version : the needle-drop, the remaster, the alternate album, America, and the b-sides.

I already know that the 2013 mix is exactly 37 min 54 long, but I desperately need the other timings as soon as possible and I can't have access to my physical copy (it's 75 miles away), which would be the only possibility to know for sure.

Any help would be really appreciated ! ^^

Last edited:
This is one of my absolute favorite albums, but when Steven Wilson says that he doesn't remaster, or re-eq, or re-balance the original audio, I honestly feel like he should have, just a little bit here. A little more bottom end on the bass drum wouldn't've hurt at all, in my opinion. It's pretty enjoyable as is to me though. :D

Well he does *re mix* the audio for the 2.0 and 5.1, which certainly means rebalancing in some cases. I find the vocals to be more prominent in his remixes, for example

He left the original 2.0 mixes 'as is'.

I believe I know the answer to this, but to respond to a claim on another forum are there different releases of this for Europe and North America?

Concern on that other place seems to be about DRM that's supposedly on Euro vs US releases.

AFAIK, 'Gracenote' -- the cited 'DRM' -by the poster there - is not DRM. It's just information-lookup software, like freedb and CDDB.

Last edited:
I agree about Gracenote.

I suspect the problem is actually just that the disc wasn't in the database and they didn't get a pretty picture of the cover. In that case it wouldn't matter where they bought it.

By 'different' I meant different pressings by different companies that might have different serial/catalogue numbers that might cause the disc not to be recognised. It does happen that exactly the same album or film are released by different distributors in different markets. I don't think that is the case with this album but thought I'd check.

Hi everyone,

Just to give you some background, I'm a newcomer here, and have recently invested in a surround sound system. However, I'm having issues getting it to playback correctly and have received welcome advice from some members here, which I'm sure will be useful when I get the time to look at it again.

My question is to those of you familiar with this album - Is there a significant difference in musical detail that can be heard in the 5.1 mix versus the stereo mix? I've read through this thread and there seems to be differing opinion on this surround mix. Some describe the surround version as being more or less the same, others seem to say that it is like hearing the album for the first time, with an enormous amount of musical detail revealed and a vast soundscape. I know differences may well have to do with different setups, but I'd like to get everybody's thoughts on this.

Are you comparing;
1.) the new/S.Wilson stereo remix to the new/S.Wilson surround remix?
or
2.) the original 1970's stereo to the new/S.Wilson surround remix?

Are you comparing;
1.) the new/S.Wilson stereo remix to the new/S.Wilson surround remix?
or
2.) the original 1970's stereo to the new/S.Wilson surround remix?

Sorry, I should have clarified that - I'm talking about comparison to the stereo mixes in general, let's say the 1970s original stereo vs the S Wilson surround mix? (I've heard all the stereo versions, and for all intents and purposes they are more or less the same)

Hi everyone,

Just to give you some background, I'm a newcomer here, and have recently invested in a surround sound system. However, I'm having issues getting it to playback correctly and have received welcome advice from some members here, which I'm sure will be useful when I get the time to look at it again.

My question is to those of you familiar with this album - Is there a significant difference in musical detail that can be heard in the 5.1 mix versus the stereo mix? I've read through this thread and there seems to be differing opinion on this surround mix. Some describe the surround version as being more or less the same, others seem to say that it is like hearing the album for the first time, with an enormous amount of musical detail revealed and a vast soundscape. I know differences may well have to do with different setups, but I'd like to get everybody's thoughts on this.

I would take the bulk of opinions- not everyone has the same equipment, or setups. Some have expensive rigs while others have much less costly units. Then the issue of taste in music. Me, I won't buy a disc unless I hear it, know it or have read comments here. It boils down to what you think. My take is 5.1 'opens up" the entire production sound quality.
I find it difficult to accept stereo much anymore, but that's me. You can't lose by a purchase, if you don't like it, someone here will buy it. But, you have to be the ultimate judge.

Hi everyone,

? No surround mix is going to sound 'the same' as a 2 channel mix. Surround mixes often make 'details' easier to hear since often there's less instruments competing in a given channel at any time. An example for CttE would be the backing vocals.

And Steve Wilson has highlighted certain things differently in his 2 channel mix, compared to the original mix, too.

Depending on how well you know the original mix, such differences will either leap out at you, or not.

Well I'm certainly very familiar with the album, it's just that the surround mix sounds identical, almost certainly due to issues with my setup. I suppose my expectations were more in line with the following description from earlier in the thread:
I've had the MFSL vinyl for years. Always thought this album was extremely well done considering the level of ambition. I'm sure the 24/192 transfer of the stereo master sounds just that little bit better without the vinyl generation (well done as it was by MFSL) but I honestly haven't listened to it yet with this amazing 5.1 remix here. I'm usually not a fan of remixes in any way shape or form but Mr Steve Wilson is a big exception. Mr. Wilson, your perception is really amazing!

I always knew this music was over the top ambitious but now you can hear every last detail of that. All the individual layered keyboard parts... Little electric sitar parts I hadn't heard before... The orchestration is huge. This mix simply could not be done in stereo - way beyond the confines of 2 channels.
However there's another post somewhere in the thread that claims there isn't much difference between the surround mix and the MFSL LP - again I know the quality of the vinyl pressing, turntable setup, and his surround setup etc but the difference in opinion is curious nonetheless.

Back