HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
Listening to the "stereo" versions on the ipod and even those sound incredibly good. If you have not had a chance to listen to the alternative version, give it a listen. It is fantastic.

Much people give this mix a 10/10.

10/10 is for me the best of the best ..... reference. Is it really?

In first time I was very angry. I heard it loud, but there was only a small dynamic and my subwoofer was without work. Friendly I say 7,5 / 10 Now you are able to do me stony ones.

No no, my friend, I will throw no rocks your way. Your opinion is as valued as any other. I will just say that I really enjoyed the truly unique English phrasings you used to share your opinion! If I needed to write my reply in my second language(Spanish) I would hope to be as clear as you were. Sounds like you are a bit of a perfectionist for sound, which is fine. A lot of the 10 votes(mine included) are from pure joy of this very revered recording being brought to light in 5.1 and with Steven Wilson's acute ear for 5.1 mixing.

But, I do think you standard for a reference mix to equal a 10 is a bit much. A reference mix would need to be some calibration tool, not a musical recording. Music is art and is all obvioulsy quite different, no single piece of art could be a reference to another. The question remains: What type of job does the mixer do presenting the recording into multi-channel/resultant sound quality? With the SW/NW CTTE product, its easy to understand all the very high marks. :smokin

I agree 100% its VERY important how the sound went down in the studio! You cant fix everything in the Mix! I agree YES sounded thin on records but this release has brought out so much in dynamics and clarity.and not to change the subject and start a new rant but Good Ole LED ZEP recordings were not that good! im sure they will all come to life in HD 5.1 Im very thankful that there is so much going on in 5.1 now, bands and albums that i never thought would see in 5.1 !
Well I also think, that it could have done better, but as I mentioned it is the source of Yes music. The sound is not overwhelming on their 70s productions, where the most 70s releases of other bands have a warm and fat sound.
Steven Wilson has a difficult job to do, about this recordings as they are full of sounds. Everything is happening at the same time (git, thousand voices, keys, bass). All members of Yes are equal important. They all want to be heard really well.

Yes is my second band of all time behind Genesis. But I never loved Yes for their record sound.
So I should not have too high expectations in the 5.1 releases. But perhaps another Yes 5.1 releases will suprise me in a good way.

I have rated with a 9. As for the pure product I had given an 8, but it is YES ;).

But in the end it is always the same. Everyone has his own opinion, and I like it that way. :)

Perhaps this time SW had too much respect?

Boy, you Germans are a tough crowd to please. :mad:@: Fair enough.

I love Steven Wilson(in a manly way of course) so I will do nothing to deter that handsome & skinny lad from England, in applying his 5.1 acumen on more classic recordings. I gave it a 10 and my bloody disc hasn't even arrived yet! :D(AND...I will give it a 10 when I hear the damn thing!)

Ok, this is the serious part of my post:

Although CTTE was recorded on a 16 track, there was a fair bit of overdubbing on the 16 track master, including stuff like recording the organ on a 2.0 tape machine remotely, then flowing those tracks into the 16 channel. The intro of birds, keys & silly noises was also a buch of overdubbing, so:

Stevn Wilson didn't have a full discrete source to work with and he may have been limited in what he could do in the mix? Some sound sources were set with others on given channels.

Word has it that the ELP 5.1 SW mixes got hammered here too, for me those two ELP 5.1 mixes are heaven.

I wonder what our friend from Canada, Otto thinks of the mix???

End of serious input.

Bonus input:

To all Steven Wilson 5.1 supporters(like yours truly) should we fire up the boiling cauldron of oil and warm up the tar with the feathers? We seem to have some heretics emerging within our midsts! :yikes

I love Steven Wilson(in a manly way of course) so I will do nothing to deter that handsome & skinny lad from England, in applying his 5.1 acumen on more classic recordings. I gave it a 10 and my bloody disc hasn't even arrived yet! :D(AND...I will give it a 10 when I hear the damn thing!)

Although CTTE was recorded on a 16 track, there was a fair bit of overdubbing on the 16 track master, including stuff like recording the organ on a 2.0 tape machine remotely, then flowing those tracks into the 16 channel. The intro of birds, keys & silly noises was also a buch of overdubbing, so:

Stevn Wilson didn't have a full discrete source to work with and he may have been limited in what he could do in the mix? Some sound sources were set with others on given channels.

Word has it that the ELP 5.1 SW mixes got hammered here too, for me those two ELP 5.1 mixes are heaven.

End of serious input.

Bonus input:

To all Steven Wilson 5.1 supporters(like yours truly) should we fire up the boiling cauldron of oil and warm up the tar with the feathers? We seem to have some heretics emerging within our midsts! :yikes

....lets just join forces, steal their lupins, and give them to the poor.....:fly:

End of serious input.

Bonus input:

Oh I forgot sometimes, when I voted 10 on so much other releases, that I am german.
I promise to get better and vote from now on only with a 1! ;)

Now serious:
... :)

Oh I forgot sometimes, when I voted 10 on so much other releases, that I am german.
I promise to get better and vote from now on only with a 1! ;)

Now serious:
... :)

Please note, one of your fellow countrymen, "mam" gave it a 7.5. So I was including both of you. Plus, my best friend(who has German parents) is also very very picky, so I do think we are on to something here... And Germans do make exceptional beer, by the way....

About you voting: I not really worried too much about a person voting who has no mouth(please see your avatar). Its the ones with big mouths, mostly people from New York that I worry about...:yikes

Please note, one of your fellow countrymen, "mam" gave it a 7.5. So I was including both of you. Plus, my best friend(who has German parents) is also very very picky, so I do think we are on to something here... And Germans do make exceptional beer, by the way....

About you voting: I not really worried too much about a person voting who has no mouth(please see your avatar). Its the ones with big mouths, mostly people from New York that I worry about...:yikes

You're welcome:
image.jpg

Don't know if my MFSL LP sounds that good, but, besides a couple of things here and there and the clear separation because of the surround, I'm not really finding a lot of difference in the SW remix.

Also, yes, we know he's trying to stick to the original mix "converted to surround" and was working with 16 tracks, but I find a real lack of bass in CTTE and AYAI...in SK the BASS is back!!!!(as well as in "America" in which you can hear a lot of age tape degradation)...

I still love it, though, but my .02 EUR .....
:smokin

...my best friend(who has German parents) is also very very picky ... And Germans do make exceptional beer, by the way....

What? I`m very very picky ? :howl

Ok, by the way ... we can drink a beer too. It tastes very very good, one of my favorit beer

cjb41rhgijigzapf4.jpg

:)

well, s(urr)oundwise it may be an 8, but the music is a 12 at least, so overall I have to vote 10 points!

After the initial ecstatic reviews I was expecting... well, too much apparently. I must say I'm a little bit underwhelmed. Music-wise of course there's no problem. It's a solid 10, one of the highlights of '70s prog rock in my humble opinion. So when I got the blu-ray in my mailbox, I was ready for an amazing journey. I poured myself a whisky, sat down and... had to stop the disc after a minute or two because there was just too much bass going on, I could hardly hear the other instruments. I fiddled around with the setup of my surround system, turning the subwoofer volume down to almost zero. OK, this time I did hear the instruments, but the surround somehow didn't sound very discreet. Only during quieter moments, such as "I get up I get down" could I really enjoy the various instruments and overdubbed voices that came from all the corners of the room. Yes, there are a few moments of glory - the new mix of America is pretty good - but most of the time I think this disc sounds OK, just above average, but there is no "wow" factor as far as I am concerned. A 10 for music, a 6 for surround, that makes it an 8. Which isn't bad, but I think it could have been a lot better.

After the initial ecstatic reviews I was expecting... well, too much apparently. I must say I'm a little bit underwhelmed. Music-wise of course there's no problem. It's a solid 10, one of the highlights of '70s prog rock in my humble opinion. So when I got the blu-ray in my mailbox, I was ready for an amazing journey. I poured myself a whisky, sat down and... had to stop the disc after a minute or two because there was just too much bass going on, I could hardly hear the other instruments. I fiddled around with the setup of my surround system, turning the subwoofer volume down to almost zero. OK, this time I did hear the instruments, but the surround somehow didn't sound very discreet. Only during quieter moments, such as "I get up I get down" could I really enjoy the various instruments and overdubbed voices that came from all the corners of the room. Yes, there are a few moments of glory - the new mix of America is pretty good - but most of the time I think this disc sounds OK, just above average, but there is no "wow" factor as far as I am concerned. A 10 for music, a 6 for surround, that makes it an 8. Which isn't bad, but I think it could have been a lot better.

How different all can be. Some of us said, they expected more bass! ;).

I try to hear everything flat. No Audessey or EQ.

Do you have special settings going on?

@mam & IMachine:

Thanks for the beers!:brew

German beers along with Belgian Ales are my favorites, we don't get many German beers sold here, but this is the best I have found that I can buy, locally:

weihenstephaner.jpg

Oh by the way.....

My BluRay disc arrived on Saturday! :banana: :cool: :yikes (y)

I personally love the packaging, just like the paper sleeve Japanese HDCDs I bought of YES some years back. The extended booklet is a nice surprise.
I won't be critical of the sound since I am still adjusting to having recently gone all digital( I run HDMi for everything and use the D/A in my Onkyo receiver). I had been using the DAC in my Oppo 980...

I like the America mix, but I still love the America mix on my Fragile DVD-A.

Siberian Khatru really jumps out at you and certainly is a top choice to impress a friend to show off 5.1. And You And I seems to have a lot of reverb,
but I think I need to set up my receiver better for the room that it is in....

Overall, I am so phuckin happy I have this masterpiece in 5.1 done by a gifted mixer(Steven Wilson). Is is the ultimate mix? Of course not, It is one man's opinion of a 5.1 mix of a very old 2.0 recording. For me it is priceless and is a 10, so that is what I will vote.

German beers all around! :brew:brew:brew

Strange behaviour, as I listened to the CD with headphones first and found the bass very powerful but nice and then listened to the 5.1 and had to turn up the subwoofer level to realise that there was almost nothing on the SW until SK. I need to check the DTS-HD stream, but just wondering if we're listening to the same version. I'm OK with the bass in stereo but like others find it weak in 5.1. My version came from Amazon.uk and I'm using oppo ext in output, so no extra processing.

Despite what I said, from a logical point of view having two different masterings or even mixes with different bass levels on US and UK markets doesn't seem very likely...

Back