HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
Multiple disc masters for various regions is highly unlikely. Packaging, maybe. Discs, almost certainly not.

Well, I´ve been listening to the BD version a couple of times before voting. Soundwise this record for me is a 7 at most, especially when comparing the sound to XTC´s Nonsuch. These chaps are playing in the room, but Yes seen to play next door behind thick curtains. Musicwise Yes are impeccable, but even a Steven Wilson cannot swing the magic wand and transform an average sounding master tape from the 70´s to a highlight.

Hi, just made the experiment switching from, LPCM to DTS-HD and to my surprise the bass is more prominent in DTS and there's much more activity in the subwoofer. In general I use to like more LPCM, but so far I'm liking more DTS-HD. Can anybody give it a try and tell me it's not only my imagination?

Hi, just made the experiment switching from, LPCM to DTS-HD and to my surprise the bass is more prominent in DTS and there's much more activity in the subwoofer. In general I use to like more LPCM, but so far I'm liking more DTS-HD. Can anybody give it a try and tell me it's not only my imagination?

If you can rip the audio to FLAC, it's easy to compare fingerprints to determine if the resulting files are mathematically identical. Of course, if one is even a fraction of a second longer or shorter, the fingerprint will be different. Might be worth a try, though.

@atrocity hi, unfortunately I can't because I don't have a blu-ray reader on my laptop :(
maybe someone else in the forum can help...

@atrocity hi, unfortunately I can't because I don't have a blu-ray reader on my laptop :(
maybe someone else in the forum can help...

And unfortunately I'm an idiot: Comparing fingerprints won't work in this case because the DTS-HD is at 48k while the LPCM is at 96k. The resulting FLACs are going to be different.

But now that I see what I've written I'm curious why the lower sampling rate option is that one that's losslessly compressed. Seems like it would make more sense to shrink the 96k version...or maybe it would be a wash in the end.

...But now that I see what I've written I'm curious why the lower sampling rate option is that one that's losslessly compressed. Seems like it would make more sense to shrink the 96k version...or maybe it would be a wash in the end.
Strange, indeed. I'm curious, too.

I found the same thing. After listening for a while I found I preferred the LPCM clarity. It does beg to be cranked though.
I find all these reviews quite interesting. I wonder how much of the differing views of the release are due to the equipment used in playback and perhaps more importantly, the room. Hmmmmm....

I found the same thing. After listening for a while I found I preferred the LPCM clarity. It does beg to be cranked though.
I find all these reviews quite interesting. I wonder how much of the differing views of the release are due to the equipment used in playback and perhaps more importantly, the room. Hmmmmm....

Yes you are right, but everyone knows his equipment and other votings like XTC or Moondance don't differ so much.
So I think every vote has the comparison between other releases and so far every vote is good.
I only dislike a bad voting on a good 5.1 mix, because someone can't get into the music.

9.5, which rounds up to 10, so that's my vote. My only complaint is that the overall sound is a bit midrange heavy in a way that fatigues my ears. I realize that I have a very low end surround system, but "Thick As A Brick," which was recorded a few months earlier, sounds great on my system. I think this just may be how Eddie Offord captured the sound, and has nothing to do with the team that brought us this treasure.

J. D.

Has anyone else taken the time to listen to the alternative versions on the DVD Audio disc. If not, you should. I think I like the alternative version as much and (in some parts) more than the original versions...

I am using an Oppo BDP83SE analog outputs, with no processing in my Emotiva preamp/processor (all bass management and processing is done in the Oppo).

I found that the DTS-HD mix had a bit more bass too. The LPCM had a bit more clarity, but the lack of bass was bothersome. Even after turning up the LFE by 6db, I found a lack of bass. There really isn't much going on in the LFE channel.

I settled on listening to the album mostly using DTS-HD because it sounded better overall to my ears. Usually I prefer the LPCM given both options.

The Steven Wilson stereo mix is very good. I actually enjoyed listening to it quite a bit. I didn't find it was lacking bass as much as the 5.1 mix.

Overall, I gave it an 8. The mix is quite good, but the fidelity is not stellar. It is nearly as good as Nonsuch (for example, since they both were released at the same time), but I didn't really expect it to. This album has never had great fidelity, in any format, which indicates it was likely not that well recorded to begin with.

Despite my negative comments, I am still very happy to have it in my collection, and I will definitely listen to it when I am in the mood for some Yes. I will also buy any future Yes 5.1 releases.

I don't know if it has a bearing on the fidelity of the album, but I read a fascinating interview in either Mix or Tape OP with a guy who combs through old tape archives looking for outtakes to release. He gave an example of things that surprise him, that Yes recorded live with everyone playing at once and The Ramones did it the isolated way drums, guitar etc. separately. One would think it would be the other way around. I would think Nonsuch was done the separate way as well. ( don't mean that the instruments weren't on separate tracks for Yes, but perhaps there was more bleed and phase cancellation. )

I don't know if it has a bearing on the fidelity of the album, but I read a fascinating interview in either Mix or Tape OP with a guy who combs through old tape archives looking for outtakes to release. He gave an example of things that surprise him, that Yes recorded live with everyone playing at once and The Ramones did it the isolated way drums, guitar etc. separately. One would think it would be the other way around. I would think Nonsuch was done the separate way as well. ( don't mean that the instruments weren't on separate tracks for Yes, but perhaps there was more bleed and phase cancellation. )

Interesting observation! It would be nice if SW had a comment on this angle but since this is a recent release I suspect not...

I had a similar experience. It turned out that my onkyo 875 was defaulting to direct for LPCM but not for DTS. The bass was more pronunced on the DTS until I removed the direct setting, after which they sounded the same. The 875 was obviously increasing the output to the sub and it sounded better to me.

@hammil hi, but that does not apply when using the analog outputs of the oppo, am I right?

Back