Sony Receiver Pre Out Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
So I've never had a receiver with Pre Outs. I plan on getting a Sony A/V receiver with 5.1 inputs and 5.1 Pre Outs. I'm guessing I can use the Pre out for a line level signal to put to a vectorscope and/or 4-channel tape deck. I have a question though. Does the 5.1 pre out send out both the signal from the analog 5.1 inputs in 5.1 mode? Also in digital modes does it output analog 5.1 audio decoded from a digital source? Or just one or the other?

It should do all that but, then again, Sony often does strange things. I suggest you read the user's manual which is usually available on-line.

I am a die hard Sony fan but I have to agree sometimes they do things bass ackwards to how you would think it would work. That's why I posted the thread.

The manuals seem to say that the output will be the same as what comes through the speakers. So I guess I can go with that.

I am a die hard Sony fan but I have to agree sometimes they do things bass ackwards to how you would think it would work. That's why I posted the thread.

The manuals seem to say that the output will be the same as what comes through the speakers. So I guess I can go with that.

By that they mean it will be whatever is playing will be output. Pre-out ports, send a signal that is only present when "pulled" by an outboard amp.

Yep. I just wnted to make sure it sent out both the signal from both the analog and digital inputs as it seems that they run through different preamp circuitry before the amp stage. The digital obviously has to go through some DAC stages where the analog does not.

I'm right in the assumption I can use these as a 4 channel tape output and vector scope output and 5.1 output to other recording devices aren't I?

Yep. I just wnted to make sure it sent out both the signal from both the analog and digital inputs as it seems that they run through different preamp circuitry before the amp stage. The digital obviously has to go through some DAC stages where the analog does not.

I'm right in the assumption I can use these as a 4 channel tape output and vector scope output and 5.1 output to other recording devices aren't I?

Not sure about a tape deck, I think you need a stonger signal. like a tape out port. completely at a loss for the scope, unless it has an amp built in? Try it, you can't hurt anything. I tried a power meter on pre-out and got zip.

leevitalone1 said:
Not sure about a tape deck, I think you need a stonger signal. like a tape out port. completely at a loss for the scope, unless it has an amp built in? Try it, you can't hurt anything. I tried a power meter on pre-out and got zip.

I thought the pre outs were line level or around line level?

Aren't pre-outs there for driving external power amps? So they would be line level at a certain volume setting, which tape decks accept, but they would vary with volume setting.

quadsearcher said:
Aren't pre-outs there for driving external power amps? So they would be line level at a certain volume setting, which tape decks accept, but they would vary with volume setting.

That would be terrible for that kind of application then. I guess I could always get some of those do dads tht convert to line level, but at that point I may be losing too much audio quality.

Unless you have a specific application, I recommend you put outputs in the "non sweat" column and enjoy the input side of life!

Yeah, I really wanted another 4 channel line out for my quad stuff with a new receiver. And I'm very picky bout the Sony A/V receivers I want. The SQD-2020 is limited in the 4 channel out aspect. Guess I will have to just use a composite video switcher!

Back