HiRez Poll Morrison, Van - MOONDANCE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Van Morrison - MOONDANCE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Performance, Poor Content

• Total voters
Well, after living with this box a couple of weeks there is only one option to vote for and this is a 10. Despite having to re-glue the package and still miss some low end on the title track in 5.1, the music is so good which goes for the fidelity/mastering and the different mixes as well. I really like some of the extra takes as well, as the mostly instrumental Moondance and the first take on Into the Mystic (my favorite song of the record).

Thanks to Adam(fredblue) I ordered a copy of this on ebay and finally got it yesterday.
I put this on my Oppo 93(have the mod chip for all region) and it played right aways.
This is a very clean recording so you do have to crank up the amp volume but thats fine by me I would rather do that than have a disk with major compression done on it.
This is my first time owning this album, have heard it years ago so some of the songs are rather new to me.
Had a wonderful time listening to this last night in fact listened to it twice back to back as could not get enough of it.
What a silky smooth recording, great music, great fidelity,great content, this is a 10 for sure for the music.
Is a shame that this could not come out as a Dvd Audio stand alone or Blu ray stand alone and priced cheaper so that more people would have a chance to buy it.

Already voted, but still listening to this title again and again. This is definitely my favorite surround release in a long, long while. Of course, loving the album really helps, but also having a great surround mix makes it a disc I will play over and over and over. (y)

Already voted, but still listening to this title again and again. This is definitely my favorite surround release in a long, long while. Of course, loving the album really helps, but also having a great surround mix makes it a disc I will play over and over and over. (y)

And even when you aren't playing it the songs will play in your head anyway. lol.

I agree. This is an album that I've never owned. Of course, I knew the title tune, and recognized "Crazy Love", but I did not know the rest of the tunes. But this entire album is such an easy listen that it just burns into your head. This is one of the finest 5.1 releases we've received in a long time.

It's clearly a 10 all the way, IMHO.

Dog ate my homework.

After I let the dogs outside this morning, I notice them chewing on something.
Box pieces and packing material scattered and scratched CDs laying around the yard.
What the ...
Apparently the postman had delivered the Moondance 4 cd+br set, and the dogs 'opened' the package.
Unfortunately, the blu-ray disc was scratched and does skip when played. Bummer.

So, I need to hold my vote.

vinylguy4

This is a truly fine surround mix of a superb album. It retains the intimate feel of the original. Scheiner varies the instrument placement somewhat from track to track - particularly with piano and guitar (although horns are locked to surround right channel throughout if I recall correctly). I love it. Only gripe is that I miss the tambourine in "Into the Mystic".

I'm quite late to this one, never having been a big Van fan before, but it was on the Sainsburys clearance sale for only £15.99 so I couldn't resist.

The sound as everyone says is superb, a very immersive surround mix. The packaging looks nice, but is a bit fiddly. The lack of a menu on the disc does annoy me a bit, but the sound quality more than makes up for this. My Denon player starts playing this disc without me having to press anything. Pressing menu on my remote doesn't do anything, each song just plays one after the other with a different screen, which doesn't even show the song name. I also can't access a stereo mix on the blu-ray, even pressing the audio button on my remote doesn't give me any options here.

A 9 from me.

I'm quite late to this one, never having been a big Van fan before, but it was on the Sainsburys clearance sale for only £15.99 so I couldn't resist.

The sound as everyone says is superb, a very immersive surround mix. The packaging looks nice, but is a bit fiddly. The lack of a menu on the disc does annoy me a bit, but the sound quality more than makes up for this. My Denon player starts playing this disc without me having to press anything. Pressing menu on my remote doesn't do anything, each song just plays one after the other with a different screen, which doesn't even show the song name. I also can't access a stereo mix on the blu-ray, even pressing the audio button on my remote doesn't give me any options here.

A 9 from me.

While I love this release, I would agree that the lack of menu is pretty crude. I've seen homemade discs with far more sophisticated menus than this has. In that regard, it is really pretty amateurish. On my Oppo there is even a very audible sound as it moves from one cut to the next. And the menu graphics seem to be a bit hit or miss. Sometimes the Oppo has a hard time locking onto the still images and occasionally will play for awhile with just that blue bubble background. Certainly not something they took a lot of time on when doing the mastering, but in the big picture I don't care. I just really love this recording and the surround mix.

the irony is you can bet the Moondance DVD-A that was shelved was authored by one of Warner's usual team (like Craig Anderson, Spencer Chrislu, David Dieckmann) and would have had lyrics for every song, photo galleries, bio, the lot.. ah well..

I agree. This is an album that I've never owned. Of course, I knew the title tune, and recognized "Crazy Love", but I did not know the rest of the tunes. But this entire album is such an easy listen that it just burns into your head. This is one of the finest 5.1 releases we've received in a long time.

It's clearly a 10 all the way, IMHO.

It is a wonderful album, and looking back, so obviously commercial. But I must say that for whatever reasons his 1968 first, ASTRAL WEEKS--which I bought in 1970 just weeks before HIS BAND AND THE STREET CHOIR (has its moments) was released--has stayed with me most of all, perhaps because it remains beyond classification, with a special mood and atmosphere that has so fondly stayed with me . MOONDANCE has a little of that (not a cycle of songs but of many diverse yet somehow connected) and is, like STREET CHOIR, a pop album made with commercial intentions and among the finest kind of 1970. Given the strong content, I'll never understand how "Come Running" was chosen as a single when others--like "Into the Mystic" (covered by Johnny Rivers) might have worked a bit better. But in a time when there were few blue-eyed soul guys out there, Van the Man filled the bill (through '72).

ED :)

It is a wonderful album, and looking back, so obviously commercial. But I must say that for whatever reasons his 1968 first, ASTRAL WEEKS--which I bought in 1970 just weeks before HIS BAND AND THE STREET CHOIR (has its moments) was released--has stayed with me most of all, perhaps because it remains beyond classification, with a special mood and atmosphere that has so fondly stayed with me . MOONDANCE has a little of that (not a cycle of songs but of many diverse yet somehow connected) and is, like STREET CHOIR, a pop album made with commercial intentions and among the finest kind of 1970. Given the strong content, I'll never understand how "Come Running" was chosen as a single when others--like "Into the Mystic" (covered by Johnny Rivers) might have worked a bit better. But in a time when there were few blue-eyed soul guys out there, Van the Man filled the bill (through '72).

Listened to Astral Weeks for the first time today on Youtube after reading your post. I love Van's voice and musical style, but have not had a chance to hear everything by him. I would agree that Astral Weeks is a great album. Probably my second favorite so far. I was not as excited about His Band and the Street Choir, but there are certainly highlights on that one too. Why can't the Van Morrison catalog be something that someone embraces and remixes for surround? I would buy every single one. I'm happy for any surround music that comes out these days, but there seems to be a heavy emphasis on progressive rock artists. No offense to progressive rock fans, but most of those artists are not among my favorites. Wish we could get more artists like Van done in surround.

Wish we could get more artists like Van to embrace the concept. Like Neil Young and a few others, you just KNOW the dude's got a ton of interesting--perhaps even brilliant--material buried in his stash. I mean, if Mr. Springsteen can give us an updated, expanded DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (even if not in surround) it would seem to be anybody should be amenable to it. The original's still around for those who love it, while completists and true fanatics get goodies they've wondered about for decades. Seems to me the best of both worlds.

Wish we could get more artists like Van to embrace the concept. Like Neil Young and a few others, you just KNOW the dude's got a ton of interesting--perhaps even brilliant--material buried in his stash. I mean, if Mr. Springsteen can give us an updated, expanded DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (even if not in surround) it would seem to be anybody should be amenable to it. The original's still around for those who love it, while completists and true fanatics get goodies they've wondered about for decades. Seems to me the best of both worlds.

I understood Van objected to this production, by telling people not to but it.

Back