Motorola Quadraline, Stereo FM Receiver, FH411JW

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandvegn

I tried to post this earlier, but I have no idea why it never posted. I bought a Motorola 4 channel receiver with 4 channel inputs and even a place for a Quad FM Decoder, although someone on audiokarma mentioned this technology was never implemented. I do not have 16 ohm speakers in a proper box, but the back clearly states ONLY to use 16 ohm speakers. I did buy some cheap papercone 16 ohm speakers just to test, but I do not have any quad material to test it with, so I am at a bit of a loss. I have since bought a Marantz 4230 for relatively cheap, but it is modestly powered and I have plans to restore it and get it in good shape. The Motorola claims to be a 120 Watt system, which would mean, I think, about 40 WPC when running quad (correct me if this is not so). So I believe my question here is first, does anyone have any information about the Motorola Quadraline receiver (not the 8 track automobile receiver)? I believe Motorola was an OEM manufacturer of sq decoders, and this one has a "77" on the back which I am assuming means it was made after the more popular Quadraphonic technologies had developed, so I have high hopes for it. I have pictures online of the item, including some of the inside of the chassis. I added the html last time, but this may be why the original never posted, so I will leave them off for now. Here is a picture of the unit at least for reference. xxAwZBe - Imgur.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

You'll have to take the power rating with a grain of salt. By that I mean that 120 watts in that era was IPP (instantaneous peak to peak) or other scheme before the FTC insured they all use RMS both or all channels driven etc. my guess is maybe 10 watts per channel, maybe less with 16 ohm loads.

The Marantz 4230 is a great item, have owned several over the years. Good luck with this.

Quick!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong...If you install in line 8 ohm resisters you will have 16 ohm system. You would need four 8 ohm resisters.

Back