DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - BENEFIT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - BENEFIT

• Total voters
Do we REALLY expect people who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground to know the difference between an audio-only DVD-V and a DVD Audio disc? :mad:@: :howl

ironic given that on the back of the digipack it says: "Chrysalis Records. A Warner Music Company."..

..Warner practically invented the bloody DVD-Audio (championed it at the very least as we all know) and they've totally turned their back on their own format ever since they 'lost the war' to Sony.

Still, they're not alone, Sony did the self same thing with SACD not long after of course. Bah! They're all buffoons.

The great news (which shouldn't come as any surprise to us lot) is the surround mix of Benefit is, in a word, terrific.

Lots of lovely floaty echoey flute and crunching electric guitars in the rears and sound quality generally is excellent, so despite the packaging woes (again) and lack of true Adv'd Res DVD-A (yet again) this is a wonderful set.

I really really hope Steven Wilson is working his magic on more fabulous Tull 5.1 remixes as we speak!

Ditto mine has the slide in slot with the album cover too, also from amazon.com. PS: lovin' it! Yet another hit out of the park from Mr. Wilson!
Count me in as another one looking forward to A Passion Play can't wait, I loved this from day one I even enjoy the intermission that is
The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles!

Can't wait till my next day off, going to have a Tull in the surround day: Benefit (DTS), Aqualung (DTS), TaaB (DTS), TaaB 2 (DTS), Warchild (Quad DVD-A)
And when A Passion Play comes out I'll do it all over again, and again and again.....................

Nice Tull surround playlist. What is this Warchild dvd-a of which you speak? I hadn't heard of that b4; my fave Tull behind Aqualung- was hoping SW would do it. Could I get some details please?

I really really hope Steven Wilson is working his magic on more fabulous Tull 5.1 remixes as we speak!
He's touring Europe at the moment. Hopefully when he gets back.

You know, it is funny, I used to think I was a Tull fan because I knew the greatest hits back and forth...now, I'm really being introduced to Jethro Tull and in a really great way! On this release I really only new the US version of Teacher so, the rest is all-new to me. I have to say, I'm so grateful to be learning this music by way of these phenomenal 5.1 mixes by SW :) A solid 10 all around! Many thanks!!!

You know, it is funny, I used to think I was a Tull fan because I knew the greatest hits back and forth...now, I'm really being introduced to Jethro Tull and in a really great way! On this release I really only new the US version of Teacher so, the rest is all-new to me. I have to say, I'm so grateful to be learning this music by way of these phenomenal 5.1 mixes by SW :) A solid 10 all around! Many thanks!!!

I am much the same I knew the singles from a compilation, but not much else. I am now an avid Jethro Tull fan thanks to the work of Steven Wilson.

XTC are the first band that are undergoing the 5.1 treatment where I have all their albums already.

Steve keep mixing I'll keep buying

Mine came from Amazon UK and does have the diagonal slot.

On a further note on first listen this is a cracking 5.1 mix, and a great album, the first time I have owned the album, so will take a few more listens before I can vote.

exceptional audio content on the DVD though, though maybe a DVDA or Blu ray would have made it super tops

This is an 8 for me. Excellent 5.1 mix from an obviously limited source. I can't give it a 10 as the vocals still have that retro soft quality that I've never really enjoyed. Also it's not Tull's strongest album and reading the song-by-song notes from the band it's clear they still don't like quite a lot of it. However as a musical experience it's very good indeed. Also, for those concerned that it's only a DVD-V, don't worry the DTS tracks don't seem to suffer from obvious artefacts of the lossy encoding.

10. If it were lossless, it would go to 11.

This was the first Tull album I bought back in '70 when it was a new release. I've been a fan and complete on them ever since. Even if you are a casual Tull or surround fan, YOU NEED THIS!

IMHO, the only Tull albums I prefer to Benefit are Stand Up (their best), and Living in the Past, which is a compilation, although only a couple tracks were previously available in the US. Yes, several of the LITP tracks are of the same vintage as Benefit and, hence, available on this release. BTW: if you don't own it, the MoFi Gold 2 CD LITP is THE VERSION to own, since it contains the tracks included in ALL versions of LITP.
Jethro+Tull+-+Living+In+The+Past+-+Gold+-+DOUBLE+CD-120322.jpg
120322b.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if it really needs to be lossless.
Also with the high-rez poll...there a some titles like the new Benefit release or Stings DTS-CDs that are much better than some rated high-rez ones.
I would prefer an additional poll for all surround titles (DVD-A, SACD, DTS, Dual-Discs....)
That would change some ratings and gave a better information to new 5.1 lovers.
:)

This was the first Tull album I bought back in '70 when it was a new release. I've been a fan and complete on them ever since. Even if you are a casual Tull or surround fan, YOU NEED THIS!

IMHO, the only Tull albums I prefer to Benefit are Stand Up (their best), and Living in the Past, which is a compilation, although only a couple tracks were previously available in the US. Yes, several of the LITP tracks are of the same vintage as Benefit and, hence, available on this release. BTW: if you don't own it, the MoFi Gold 2 CD LITP is THE VERSION to own, since it contains the tracks included in ALL versions of LITP.
View attachment 11793
View attachment 11794

Linda
Living in the Past was always one of my Favs! made up of mostly tracks that were cut off albums or B sides . i loved the album version with its beefy cover and tons of full color photos ! i wore this out some had Hymn 43 others had locomotive breath on it. when the cd was released some of the live stuff and alive and well and living in was omitted. I hoped that Witches Promise would be 5.1 and was sad to find out the tapes are missing!

Linda
Living in the Past was always one of my Favs! made up of mostly tracks that were cut off albums or B sides . i loved the album version with its beefy cover and tons of full color photos ! i wore this out some had Hymn 43 others had locomotive breath on it. when the cd was released some of the live stuff and alive and well and living in was omitted. I hoped that Witches Promise would be 5.1 and was sad to find out the tapes are missing!

Totally agree. Living in the Past was the first Tull album I ever got from them. Love it to this day. Glad that some key cuts ended up on both the Aqualung and Benefit surround discs. The Christmas Album is one that seems to fit the same folk/acoustic Tull genre.

A quick flip through the songs and the sound appears to be just outstanding. This aggressive mix is the way I like it...
Sweet can't wait to sit down, crank it and listen from front to back...

I never owned this album back in the day (at least till CD's appeared), but this is my favourite Tull album. I'm very glad to see this release. I am amused (a bit like KC's Lizard) most of the band don't seem to think so. I guess you had to be there and experience it from the other side.

The surround mix is fabulous. The DTS 96/24 sound quality sounds great on my Yamaha RX 673. I love what Steven has done with the mix. I love Ian's voice on this album. I love the electric guitar. Its a little more raw than on later works and pleasantly busy.

This album always seemed a bit muddy on previous versions. It is as clear as a bell. Sometimes I think modern surround mixes from 8 channel sources deliver the most evolved results. Probably the effort required and the simpler source choices help. There is no energy lost in the surround mix. All the sound effects, backwards bits etc work wonderfully and are treated with the upmost respect.

My only problem with the disc is that it froze at the end of the first bar of 'Play in Time' and froze the player completely. As noted elsewhere the player is an Oppo BDP 80 from 2010. I had to remove the power lead and hard boot the player and extract the disc on startup. It happened on the next play and also on 'Sweet Dream' in the extras on the DVD. It has played through since. Weird. I also had problems with the 'Moondance' Blu Ray but no problems with any other disc with this player ---ever!!!

In recent years I was more used to the US version of the album with 'Teacher' included and 'Inside' in the 3rd track position. It would have been nice to have the choice to be able to play the album in that format or with all tracks. Can't be difficult to do.

While not in surround my favourite track on the disc is 'The Witches Promise'. This was the first single and first Tull record I ever bought and was my introduction to Tull (The Australian version had the US version of 'Teacher' on the B side -- I didn't know there was a UK earlier version-so its great to hear it). I wore the 45 out. I still love it. Would have been great in surround but I'm grateful to have it- even in Mono.

A Bu Ray version of this ,TAAB and any future releases would be preferred. I treasure the Blu Ray Aqualung.

Mine should be coming in a few days from Amazon. Can't wait! Probably my favorite Tull album next to the somewhat overplayed Aqualung. I'm fine with the DTS. I think I have a pretty good ear and rarely have I ever discerned a difference between a DTS and a lossless version.

Perhaps I sound like the audio snob that I am. If you have separates (preamp, tuner power amp) or a high end receiver, the difference between lossy and lossless is obvious. It is most striking when cranked. :banana:

Perhaps I sound like the audio snob that I am. If you have separates (preamp, tuner power amp) or a high end receiver, the difference between lossy and lossless is obvious. It is most striking when cranked. :banana:

Benefit and TAAB do sound pretty darned good in DTS though. I would also say that with the Genesis 5.1's I do prefer the sound on the DTS discs to that on the SACDs, but that's another debate for another place, and probably another long gone time!

I also already mentioned, that not every high-rez release can compete with some well mixed DTS releases.
The mix is the step to go.
And I say that with experience.
And the most important thing are not receivers or seperate power amps, instead of good speakers!

Back