Some VIDEO COLLECTION you may not know are true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Peter, my list includes links. :) However, no idea about Big Country.

DUH, I realized it after I sent email and went back to your list and thought hey these aren't just nice highlighting and are actually links.

The Pal version looks like it has 24 songs and NTSC 22 songs.
Look forward to what some others have to say, haven't listened to Big Country in a long time so if the DTS are any good it would be a nice return to some music from the 80's.

I have ordered the Super Furry Animals and John Lennon.
I'm thinking about the Big Country and INXS ones, which are the ones to order and if someone has link that would be great.
For the Big Country it looks like the PAL version has 2 more songs on it then the NTSC if I have information correct. Can anyone confirm that and if its worth going for the PAL for the extra songs?

Got The Lennon couple days ago - shuffled thru a few songs and sounds pretty good - Collllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld Turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkey :51banana:

Well I got the John Lennon which I have enjoyed but I have really enjoyed the 2 Super Furry Animal Dvd's as they are very fun and very discreet 5.1 mixes.
If others like myself overlooked these because they did not come out as Dvda's or Sacd a big thumb's up for these 2. They are worth tracking down and don't cost that much as I bought them used from amazon uk and copies I got looked brand new so that was a bonus, I got them from zoverstocks.

peter

The McCartney Years has a terrific 5.1 mix. The first disc is currently in heavy rotation for me (with the TV off of course! Silly videos).

I have the Offspring DualDisc -- I still see sealed copies floating around FYE. It's altogether not too bad, they obviously put some effort into most of the songs, but they aren't too adventurous. There seem to be people who mix that "get" surround and those that think that it means lots of reverb on stuff, like when Michael Jackson's stuff was mixed for 5.1 on the videos DVD's -- lots of reverb on his voice, lots of phasing trickery (it sounds like, anyway). I know lots of those were "upmixes" from the video stereo track because likely the original elements consisted of that, but there could have been some more effort on the actual discrete stuff. In any case, the Offspring DVD suffers from this slightly, but it's also Dolby and on the Sony I used to have (that got stolen) had very obvious DRC, which distracts me personally.

Hmm. I know people are critical of that Offspring DualDisc here, but I for one really like it. I can't find fault with the mix, I think it's good (some songs are more adventurous than others, but it just works as a whole). Sound is strong and punchy to me, just right for that kind of music. I seem to be blessed with ears that don't discern about the whole compression and loudness war thing.

A few months ago I purchased the Robert Plant Nine Lives box set. As usual for me I started with the CD's, saving the best for last. A month later I finally popped in the DVD and lo and behold it was PAL and would not play on my old Denon player. In fact it would not play on any of my machines including my player in the car, and I purchased it from Amazon US. Now it's too late to return it. Bummer. Does this one play on Oppo players. Buyer beware.
Phil.

A few months ago I purchased the Robert Plant Nine Lives box set. As usual for me I started with the CD's, saving the best for last. A month later I finally popped in the DVD and lo and behold it was PAL and would not play on my old Denon player. In fact it would not play on any of my machines including my player in the car, and I purchased it from Amazon US. Now it's too late to return it. Bummer. Does this one play on Oppo players. Buyer beware.
Phil.

Hi Phil. I've been looking for the box set at a good price for a while and PAL is not an issue for me. PM me if you're interested on selling it

Phil.

After reading your post, I got out my set again and put in the DVD. My disc is not PAL, as it plays in all three of my players. If it was PAL it would only play in my Oppo. Odd that you would get an import from Amazon US without them at least disclosing that bit of information.

Great box set. I looked at my Amazon history because I remember getting it for a ridiculously low price (only $13.97), due to a temporary pricing snafu on Amazon that lasted about an hour. They honored their mistake though.

I think you could burn a copy of your disc and convert it to region free. Some video quality may be lost in the transfer but at least you could still enjoy the DVD and 5.1 videos.

Dennis

I will probably keep this box even though I can't play the dvd. I will be getting an Oppo some time this year so I should be ok then. I read in the reviews at Amazon that someone else also received a PAL disc by mistake. After no results from Amazon they sent it back to the record label and they replaced it. Perhaps that's another option if I can find the receipt.
Phil.

As long as you get the official release and not the less-than-authorized Brazilian DVD that was around a few years ago, it's stunning.

one reviewer on amazon says it's very bright...do you think it's overly bright?

As long as you get the official release and not the less-than-authorized Brazilian DVD that was around a few years ago, it's stunning.

Wow...is all I can say.
I never bought this DVD. What I could have missed.
Thanks for your comment...that gave me the kick to order it.
Absolute FANTASTIC 5.1 mix and overall soundstage!
The best LZ 5.1 output I know !

Great great great!
:worthy:worthy:worthy:banana::banana::banana:

Wow...is all I can say.
I never bought this DVD. What I could have missed.
Thanks for your comment...that gave me the kick to order it.
Absolute FANTASTIC 5.1 mix and overall soundstage!
The best LZ 5.1 output I know !

Great great great!

You're welcome! Another thing I really like about it: It's nothing but music. No interviews, no cutaways, nothing cutesy, just a bunch of interesting, well-mixed versions of great songs one after another.

Back