DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh...

I've had that one on my list for years,,,

let us know what its like Adam.,..

will do! :) might get to give it a go tonight.

edit: the "bad news" = its Dolby Digital.. the good news, it's 5.1 surround and the mixes are very good and lots of fun with stuff popping up all over the place :eek:

sorry for the crap pix Mike but hopefully they give you some kinda idea of what you're in for if you pick it up (weird visuals, 5.1 Dolby Digital, etc... )
there's a few different ways to hear the surround mixes, one is in film form, one is videos kind of accompanying songs, the other is just the songs with some slightly weirder versions of visuals from an already slightly weird film.. it all smacks ever so slightly of art school student budget and somebody farting about with their computer afterwards just to make it even artier.. but musically and surround wise - lets face it the important bit for us - its great.. better than that in fact. I think I'll rip it in DVDAE and just listen to the 5.1 in FLAC form in future, I don't feel a great desire to see the onscreen stuff much again tbh.. although maybe not the right time right now I've just got back from a drinking sesh and the videos ever so slightly messing with my mind! :mad:@: )

Last edited:
Look what arrived in the mail today?!

IMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpg

At $10.19 (+S&H) this is more than a decent release. Actually, the first one in surround this year, 'member?
That made me count and turns out I've scored 34 of them in total so far. I'm positive there will be more...;)

Last edited:

At $10.19 (+S&H) this is more than a decent release. Actually, the first one in surround this year, 'member?
That made me count and turns out I've scored 34 of them in total so far. I'm positive there will be more...;)

Where did you find it for that cheap?

Mark Reeder - Five Point One (2CD/DVD set)
Jean Michel Jarre - Aero (CD/DVD set)
Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory (DVD-A/DVD-V)

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 395
Tacet's Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky piano trios: Abegg Trio.

This one presents the performances twice - once with the piano in the rear speakers and the 'cello and violin in the front speakers, and once in "moving surround" where the instruments move around the room. The moving bit is a little odd, and a little gimmicky in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Oops! Wrong thread! It's a DVD-A.

Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn. I know its only DTS on a DVD-V, but its sounding pretty good to me. The material's not grabbing me yet though, but I think it will.

I'm with you on this. I listened to it today whilst WFH, and it has shades of Ommadawn (which is my favourite Mike Oldfield album), but if anything it sounds musically 'harsher' and 'sparser' to me, but then he is a grumpy old sole these days! I like it, but not sure if I love it (to misquote 10cc) but I do think its one which will take a few listens to though to come to an opinion on. The DTS does sound good.

Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn. I know its only DTS on a DVD-V, but its sounding pretty good to me. The material's not grabbing me yet though, but I think it will.

The Early Years 1965 - 1972 - Pink Floyd 34 disc Definitive Collection

Echoes & Atom Heart Mother in Quad mixes

includes:
12 CDs, 8 Blu-ray's, 9 DVDs, 5 seven-inch vinyl singles, collectible memorabilia includes posters, flyers, tour programs, tickets, press advertisements, etc.

Early Years includes an extra piece of the band's history: it now also includes a supplementary disc featuring the band's seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix (see notes below). (We already have Pompeii on DVD and VCD.) It has not been released on an official CD before.
Total Box Run Time: 14 + hours of video, 12 + hours of audio (made up of 130+ tracks).

"Replacement CD" packaged w/box: Obscured 2016 mix. The CD packaged w/box is described in the book as being Obscured. In fact, it is the 2016 remix of Pompeii.

Finally got in "Return to Ommadawn" by Mike Oldfield in all its mislabeled glory.
(It's a DVD-V disc, not a DVD-A disc, dummies…)

;)

Tim Bowness - Lost In The Ghost Light (2017)

The nice thing is: you don't just get this album in (DTS/DD) 5.1 surround, but also the previous album "Stupid Things That Mean The World", which I like even better.

Tim Bowness - Lost In The Ghost Light (2017)

The nice thing is: you don't just get this album in (DTS/DD) 5.1 surround, but also the previous album "Stupid Things That Mean The World", which I like even better.

So true, this was fantastic of Tim to give us 2 5.1's for the price of one and they are both good albums.
I think I slightly like 'Stupid Things' better than the new one as well.

peter

"XII" by Barclay James Harvest finally arrived today (after my original order was placed back in October of 2016!)
I'm currently making a DTSCD of the 5.1 mix to play in my Acura tomorrow, but in the meantime, it still pisses me off that all of these Barclay James Harvest releases from Esoteric are labeled as DVD-Audio on the discs themselves whereas they are just DVD-Video.
I understand that an actual DVD-A/V disc is not always possible, but continually getting the logo wrong is like rubbing salt in an already bloody wound!

(n) :( :rolleyes: :mad: :howl

Back