DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was from play.com (rakuten), basic price £73, the day I bought it they had a promotion of 20x points, which basically means approx £15 off future purchases, I buy through play.com via Quidco where the cash back rate is 3.5% (another £3 off), and finallly I had a £12 play.com voucher that had to be used. So if you have followed all that I reconcile that in my head as coming down to a cost of £43 :spot !

Thanks! (y)
If it had been £43 quid in the first place I would have gone for it without flinching.. £73 I can't justify for 2 surround mixes and 2 upmixes that may or may not hit the spot

Cheers ears :mad:@:. I'm keen on the music, but decided to wait for reports.

anytiiiime ;) ..but pls don't hang on my ev'ry word with a view to a purchase, I'll no doubt be sozzled by the time I get to listen to it :beer2

..and worse still my Yamaha AVR's packed up.. (RIP :( ) so I've had to go back to using my old Denon... and to be blunt I am finding Audyssey aggravatingly obtrusive to the point of headache-inducing (everything is a bass-heavy kludge with Audyssey on and if I switch Audyssey off the amp sounds like a lump of lifeless old shit... BAH.. I digress, sorry.. but I'm seriously thinking of going for a separate pre-power setup, I can't afford it and I don't have the houseroom, I'm just sick of these horrible bloody AVRs from the far east loaded with unnecessary gadgets that are toys rather than hi-fi and really only fit for crash bang wallop movies and crappy mp3s..)

anytiiiime ;) ..but pls don't hang on my ev'ry word with a view to a purchase, I'll no doubt be sozzled by the time I get to listen to it :beer2

..and worse still my Yamaha AVR's packed up.. (RIP :( ) so I've had to go back to using my old Denon... and to be blunt I am finding Audyssey aggravatingly obtrusive to the point of headache-inducing (everything is a bass-heavy kludge with Audyssey on and if I switch Audyssey off the amp sounds like a lump of lifeless old shit... BAH.. I digress, sorry.. but I'm seriously thinking of going for a separate pre-power setup, I can't afford it and I don't have the houseroom, I'm just sick of these horrible bloody AVRs from the far east loaded with unnecessary gadgets that are toys rather than hi-fi and really only fit for crash bang wallop movies and crappy mp3s..)

Sorry to hear about your AVR. Have a drink for me, tonight I'll be at Hammersmith Odeon watching Lord Steven Wilson :banana:

Adam, for someone who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES music as much as you do, perhaps it's time to upgrade to separates. A HUGE decision but one I've been heralding for years. Lots of cables (which ain't cheap) but a MAJOR uptick in sound quality which you are justly deserving of.

Receivers have their place (like in my bedroom) but for serious, critical listening, all the rumours you've heard are true. Separates impart a sonic sheen to the music that receivers, even good ones, can only dream of.

The only tricky component: HDMI. It's an absolute necessity for transporting those signals to the pre/pro which would preclude the use of an all analogue preamp (such as the excellent but somewhat problematic Parasound P7 pre/pro) which has NO provisions for HDMI.

You literally have thousands invested in software and now the journey to extract every ounce of sonic bliss out of those discs has begun.

Stick to your guns Adam because where there is a will...there IS a WAY. Lot's of GREAT used equipment on the market.

Adam, for someone who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES music as much as you do, perhaps it's time to upgrade to separates. A HUGE decision but one I've been heralding for years. Lots of cables (which ain't cheap) but a MAJOR uptick in sound quality which you are justly deserving of.

Receivers have their place (like in my bedroom) but for serious, critical listening, all the rumours you've heard are true. Separates impart a sonic sheen to the music that receivers, even good ones, can only dream of.

The only tricky component: HDMI. It's an absolute necessity for transporting those signals to the pre/pro which would preclude the use of an all analogue preamp (such as the excellent but somewhat problematic Parasound P7 pre/pro) which has NO provisions for HDMI.

You literally have thousands invested in software and now the journey to extract every ounce of sonic bliss out of those discs has begun.

Stick to your guns Adam because where there is a will...there IS a WAY. Lot's of GREAT used equipment on the market.

Thanks! I hear you Ralphie :upthumb
HDMI is not a prerequisite, I can do it all in analogue or digital.. whatever it takes, basically I'm open to suggestions of a pre/power combo for surround music that won't break the bank! :D

Cheers ears :mad:@:. I'm keen on the music, but decided to wait for reports.

..despite my receiver struggles, I can still make out a largely solid set of surround mixes.. would I have done things differently? possibly, its a tad front/centre heavy at times (and low bass is prodigious but I think that's an Audyssey setup issue my end rather than mastering or mix-related.. and the skew to the front soundstage may well be some Audyssey nonsense as well, so as I said before I'm not gonna be the best surround barometer or whatever thanks to the recent saga on the receiver front) ..musically its terrific - it even caught the ear of the other half who normally couldn't give two hoots about this surround stuff, he loved what he heard and stuck around for the remainder of the album (I was about 3 tracks in when he breezed by).. there are some intensely dramatic bordering on heroic moments, its a tour de force - order with confidence! :upthumb
(Ps. Hope you had a wonderful time at the Odeon! :) )

Thanks! I hear you Ralphie :upthumb
HDMI is not a prerequisite, I can do it all in analogue or digital.. whatever it takes, basically I'm open to suggestions of a pre/power combo for surround music that won't break the bank! :D

Adam, I suggest you scour London's audio salons for GOOD USED equipment which comes with some sort of warranty with the proviso that you can audition it in your flat. Since I'm in the US and we have different power configurations, it would be pointless to try and recommend components. I personally am a Meridian Man (The British KNOW how to do digital RIGHT) but the prices are whacky, whacky but IMHO, it IS the BEST equipment I've ever owned (and I've owned a LOT).

It may take awhile and compromise is NOT an option but I'm sure an enterprising "stud' like you will somehow come up smelling like a rose!

Mike Oldfield - Discovery. The disc is labelled as DVD Audio, but it is actually DVD-V :confused:

The other annoyance, and this has happened before with other sets - in the packaging, 2 discs sit nicely on plastic holding, whereas the third disc has to slide into the rough cardboard gatefold, and can you guess which the third disc is, yes, the DVD! I've immediately swapped this placement for one of the cds.

Please report back, no-one has said yet what the surround mix is like on this one.

Front heavy, rears play mostly a support role. Good sound quality, clear vocals. Shame the music is generic rock.

Please report back, no-one has said yet what the surround mix is like on this one.

Front heavy, rears play mostly a support role. Good sound quality, clear vocals. Shame the music is generic rock.

I am watching/listening now to Disc 1 Madison Square Gardens 5.1 Dolby Digital of Elton John Dream Ticket. I love EJ and this is a great box set for a fan like me.

Back