DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I hear you Ralphie :upthumb
HDMI is not a prerequisite, I can do it all in analogue or digital.. whatever it takes, basically I'm open to suggestions of a pre/power combo for surround music that won't break the bank! :D

Adam,

I am also looking to upgrade my Pre/pro. What budget are you dealing with? Im lusting after an Emotiva XMC-1... but the $2500 cost is causing me pain.

Adam,

I am also looking to upgrade my Pre/pro. What budget are you dealing with? Im lusting after an Emotiva XMC-1... but the $2500 cost is causing me pain.

Well I've no fixed ideas (or budget!) to be honest, I am still trying to tweak the Denon as best I can to get by for now (mostly for reasons of economy, as you say these luscious separates don't come cheap! :D )

Emotiva is not a marque I'm familiar with btw, are they generally seen as a manufacturer that is a cut above the mass-market Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer/Marantz/Onkyo/Sony receivers would you say?

Oh you're finding it front heavy too! I did wonder if it was due to my Audyssey troubles.. I guess not.

Not sure what Audyssey troubles you were having but make sure you turn Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off as those wreak havoc with rear channel levels.

Well I've no fixed ideas (or budget!) to be honest, I am still trying to tweak the Denon as best I can to get by for now (mostly for reasons of economy, as you say these luscious separates don't come cheap! :D )

Emotiva is not a marque I'm familiar with btw, are they generally seen as a manufacturer that is a cut above the mass-market Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer/Marantz/Onkyo/Sony receivers would you say?

Yes, I would say a cut above, But they aren't uber expensive like Bryston, Meridian, Krell, and the like. Its an American brand. They sell direct. Here's their web sight.
https://emotiva.com/

Check it out. They have some very interesting equipment, and its all generally well received. Some truly massive power amps. I really like the self powered speaker systems. Maybe someone who owns some of their stuff might chime in.

Not sure what Audyssey troubles you were having but make sure you turn Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off as those wreak havoc with rear channel levels.

Yes! Thanks to a mixture of (rather tedious :eek: ) personal trial and error setting this and that on and off.. and the intervention of a couple of very helpful QQ friends I have come to the exact same conclusion; namely Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume do indeed wreak havoc with the rear channels! :D

Yes, I would say a cut above, But they aren't uber expensive like Bryston, Meridian, Krell, and the like. Its an American brand. They sell direct. Here's their web sight.
https://emotiva.com/

Check it out. They have some very interesting equipment, and its all generally well received. Some truly massive power amps. I really like the self powered speaker systems. Maybe someone who owns some of their stuff might chime in.

Brilliant thanks matey! :upthumb
I feel when the time comes I will need to seek something this side of the pond, so to speak, whether thats a UK brand or a UK retailer/importer at least.. I already get whammed left right and centre for import duty as it is, I can only begin to imagine the horrors of customs/import tax on thousands of dollars of AV gear from the States! :eek:

Brilliant thanks matey! :upthumb
I feel when the time comes I will need to seek something this side of the pond, so to speak, whether thats a UK brand or a UK retailer/importer at least.. I already get whammed left right and centre for import duty as it is, I can only begin to imagine the horrors of customs/import tax on thousands of dollars of AV gear from the States! :eek:

Do you pay import duty on anything not produced in the UK? What about Asian stuff? I know I can take a 1 hour ride into Canada from where I live and buy Paradigm Speakers for much less than I can in the States. I can legally bring back $800 per person duty free after a stay of 48 hours. Paradigm's are made in Canada. So is Bryston.

Do you pay import duty on anything not produced in the UK? What about Asian stuff? I know I can take a 1 hour ride into Canada from where I live and buy Paradigm Speakers for much less than I can in the States. I can legally bring back $800 per person duty free after a stay of 48 hours. Paradigm's are made in Canada. So is Bryston.

That's cool you can hop over there for a weekend and get some sweet Paradigms! :upthumb

..well one way or another we have to pay it I guess, either the retailer will have added a chunk on top to cover import duty or if I personally import it I'll likely get stung for import duty.. :eek:

Fredblue I love the EJ Dream Ticket 4 DVD pack, stellar, plus knowing you where there makes it better.

As everybody remembers at SACD.net Zeus pulled my threads down quite a few times, in fact I believe the Rock Thread was the final straw for him. Anyway I got pulled off a thread today by moderator of QQ, my deepest apologies, wherever I go trouble follows me, that's why I have a great surround and SACD Blues collection.

Fredblue I love the EJ Dream Ticket 4 DVD pack, stellar, plus knowing you where there makes it better.

As everybody remembers at SACD.net Zeus pulled my threads down quite a few times, in fact I believe the Rock Thread was the final straw for him. Anyway I got pulled off a thread today by moderator of QQ, my deepest apologies, wherever I go trouble follows me, that's why I have a great surround and SACD Blues collection.

Its a good job they didn't do a DVD of his return to the Opera House several years later with Ray Cooper... I was up in the balcony that night screaming like a loony when he pulled stuff like "Better Off Dead" and "Crazy Water" out of the bag - and did them justice - they'd have had to have edited all that out! (my yelling not the deep cuts, although they'd probably have cut those out too.. ;) :eek: )

Oh.. I'm gonna have to (uncharacteristically) hold my tongue on the subject...the sa-cd site is closed, we're all here now, the future's bright! The future's QQ! :D

Markie, I paid $10 BRAND NEW sealed for EJ's Dream Ticket and it was shipped out first class, as well. Only saw the Royal Albert Hall Concert (Fantastic). Was that fredblue throwing his skivvies onto the stage?

And, ah yes, the ole days at SA~CD.net when the RED ballpoint pen came out and obliterated our unpopular rock thread posts. Wonder if Zeus is making the 'killing' he assumed he'd make by eliminating the forum??????

Andy Jackson's "73 Days at Sea" arrived today, and I hope I have time to play it later.
Plus, like Colsky has already said, there's confusing mislabeling throughout the package as to what kind of DVD it actually is, so let's review shall we?

RIGHT:
IMG_4854.jpg

WRONG:
IMG_4853.jpg

Andy Jackson's "73 Days at Sea" arrived today, and I hope I have time to play it later.

Besides the mislabeling there's another thing that disappoints me about this disc right off the bat. This is another example of a DVD-V disc that doesn't utilize the full space available. (Like "Tusk", "Deliverance/Damnation", "Loaded", and "Premonitions") Because there's no DVD-A content to fill the available space, there could have been an opportunity for extras (video or audio) and/or cool visuals to accompany the album.

On the plus side, based on the very brief samples I have heard thus far, it sounds like this is another good album and surround mix from Andy Jackson, but I'll have more to say on all of it in a little while! :)

"The Fugitive" arrived today, so I hope to have time to listen to it either tomorrow or Saturday, and after that, I hope it will only be a few more months before the next Tony Banks reissues are released. I'm particularly looking forward to "Bankstatement"! :)

"The Fugitive" arrived today, so I hope to have time to listen to it either tomorrow or Saturday, and after that, I hope it will only be a few more months before the next Tony Banks reissues are released. I'm particularly looking forward to "Bankstatement"! :)

I'd be interested to know how The Fugitive sounds. I've got A Curious Feeling and have listened to it a couple of times. Its not an album that I know particularly well, and I've never owned it on cd before. I have to say that I didn't particularly enjoy listening to the 5.1 mix. I listened to the cd first, and I like the songs. But the 5.1 to me sounds even harsher than the Nick Davis Genesis ones, and this gets even worse on the occasions when the booming bass pedal kicks in. I didn't find it to be a very pleasant listening experience. I do really enjoy listening to the Genesis ones, even the later ones, but on the DVDs in DTS, rather than the harsh sounding SACDs.

Back