DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jethro Tull - Aqualung :banana:

Its arrived at home, but it won't be until I get home from work that I can listen to it, and also put it next to the other Jethro Tull ones and then just look at it :D

sorry, duplicate post. I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat. The more I look at the Jethro Tull series, the more I like it, I do think its good, I wish I was at home to see it :cool:

Oh shoot! That reminds me that I have to clear space off of my shelf to make room for this new "Aqualung" set along with the other Jethro Tull book releases.
A good problem to have, I guess… :confused:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock'N'Roll

Arrived today so I am finally caught up with the Jethro Tull releases.
Now it's time to do the same with King Crimson......

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge, deluxe 3 disc set. Currently only £7.99 at Amazon UK :D

That would be an amazing deal if it weren't for the lack of DTS audio. I still hope that one day we can get more lossless 5.1 downloads as I play my "Tubular Bells" download quite a good bit. :)

Finally filled the gap that was Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, the rest were looking lonely without Brick, Steven Wilson you are a marvel.

Spectral Mornings - Steve Hackett (2CD/1DVD-V).

Cannot get the DTS 5.1 to play on this one no matter what, selecting the DTS just plays as Stereo everytime.. stuck with the Dolby for Surround. Oh and you have to have the tv on to navigate to the 5.1 as default is Stereo and getting to the audio select menu without the aid of the tv impossible. Ugh.

Cannot get the DTS 5.1 to play on this one no matter what, selecting the DTS just plays as Stereo everytime.. stuck with the Dolby for Surround. Oh and you have to have the tv on to navigate to the 5.1 as default is Stereo and getting to the audio select menu without the aid of the tv impossible. Ugh.

Sorry about your troubles with this disc, Adam. Can you play the DTS stream on "Please Don't Touch" or does that one give you problems too?
And that's one of the major faults of audio-only DVD-V discs IMHO. DTS is not mandatory, so authoring engineers can't have the disc default to that stream, but it means that we have to go in and select it ourselves, a far cry from DVD-A which usually defaults to MLP 5.1 from the start.
Oh how I wish Neil Wilkes would have been chosen to author these DVDs (and the ones in the "Premonitions" set) as we would all be better off for it. :( :mad:

Sorry about your troubles with this disc, Adam. Can you play the DTS stream on "Please Don't Touch" or does that one give you problems too?
And that's one of the major faults of audio-only DVD-V discs IMHO. DTS is not mandatory, so authoring engineers can't have the disc default to that stream, but it means that we have to go in and select it ourselves, a far cry from DVD-A which usually defaults to MLP 5.1 from the start.
Oh how I wish Neil Wilkes would have been chosen to author these DVDs (and the ones in the "Premonitions" set) as we would all be better off for it. :( :mad:

Ah well Ryan, the surround mixes are v.nice at least, which soothes the troubles somehwat.
The DTS plays OK on Please Don't Touch, just not on Spectral Mornings, idk what that's all about.. in an ideal world Opus would do them all and none of this nonsense would be an issue but they don't so we just have to lump it. 1st world problems in the grand scheme of things but it's still a pita when things don't work as they should (oh and the discs have DVD Audio logo's printed on them.. haha.. though the outer packaging makes no mention of the 3rd disc even being a DVD, -A/-V or otherwise, it just says "New 5.1 Surround Mix by Steven Wilson".. I shouldn't complain it's nice to be able to get the two genuine remixes from the multi's as standalone releases, so for that I'm appreciative :)

Hi Adam, It does look like a player compatibility problem. I've 3 Blu-Ray players (there is method in my madness!)

Panasonic DMP-BD45EB-K: (my TV only unit) Plays the DTS 5.1 reports as 3/2.1 DTS but selected to down mix and only connected to the TV. Audio button on the remote does nothing.
Panasonic DMP-BDT700EB: (streams 5.1 FLACs, plays BD-A/V, CD, DVD-V) Plays the DTS 5.1 no issues. Audio button on the remote switches between 2.0 LPCM, 5.1 DTS, 5.1 DD.
Denon DBP-2012UD: (plays CD, DVD-A/V, SACD, BD-A/V) Plays the DTS 5.1 no issues. Audio button on the remote switches between 2.0 LPCM, 5.1 DTS, 5.1 DD.

Just picked up the new reissue of the Aqualung special edition. Loving the sound quality (both the PCM stereo and the DTS surround) and the really in-depth liner notes!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Back