DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone Is Everybody Else - Barclay James Harvest (2 X CD / 5.1 DVD-V)

Ah, fuck, seriously?! This really is the QQ definition of rubbing salt in an open wound.
I mean I knew these would be DVD-V discs a little while back, so I'm not shocked that they aren't, but seriously, how hard is it to do a little bit of research and put the right logo on the disc? It's not rocket science…Good grief, at least we have certain people looking out for us who know better. Maybe they should take the time to educate the nimrods that don't… :mad:

[PS: Sorry for my use of language, but this has really gone on far enough and at the heart of it are the same culprits who keep making this mistake, making it even more frustrating…]

Spectral Mornings - Steve Hackett (2CD/1DVD-V).

Cannot get the DTS 5.1 to play on this one no matter what, selecting the DTS just plays as Stereo everytime.. stuck with the Dolby for Surround. Oh and you have to have the tv on to navigate to the 5.1 as default is Stereo and getting to the audio select menu without the aid of the tv impossible. Ugh.

Sorry to hear about this, Adam,

Have you tried to engage dts with the menu button on a corresponding track ?

You likely have, but thought I'd give u my 2 cents anyway.

I have 2 discs that do what yours does but if I engage dts on track 2 or 3 or 4 etc it works.I'm awaiting my Spectral in the mail and hope like hell she works.:kaboom

Ah, fuck, seriously?! This really is the QQ definition of rubbing salt in an open wound.
I mean I knew these would be DVD-V discs a little while back, so I'm not shocked that they aren't, but seriously, how hard is it to do a little bit of research and put the right logo on the disc? It's not rocket science…Good grief, at least we have certain people looking out for us who know better. Maybe they should take the time to educate the nimrods that don't… :mad:

[PS: Sorry for my use of language, but this has really gone on far enough and at the heart of it are the same culprits who keep making this mistake, making it even more frustrating…]
Or get somebody else to author these discs.

Or get somebody else to author these discs.

I wish, but unfortunately, there appears to be a fierce loyalty between Mark Powell and Ray Shulman, which is fine if high-res surround sound is not a priority, but for me, it is, and if DVD is the only offering, then I wish more in the industry would know what Neil Wilkes and his DVD-A/V authoring software is capable of.
But then again, since that's too much to ask for, all I care about is that they label the DVDs for what they really are.
(Oh wait, they can't do that either!) :mad:

Just ordered this one myself - how is it? Sound quality - surround mix???

Well.. I have to tell you that I'm currently hungover to high heaven ( :eek: ) and so perhaps not in the very best state for serious listening.. but so far sound quality is pretty good, it doesn't seem loud/compressed and if anything the EQ veers towards the slightly soft and feels nicely natural/organic, kinda suitable for the hippyish vibe and production.
I don't know this phase of BJH at all and it's interesting to hear how they sounded at that point, a couple of stronger tunes instantly leave a greater impression than the rest but I need to play it more than once of course.

The surround mix is.. inconsistent.. some tracks there's nice drum parts and harmony vocals etc in the rears.. and other times I'm getting that "hey, are those speakers on back there?" or it seems like less surround-y-ness (TM :D ) is happening, I'm not getting any whizz bang moments or if I did my ears blinked and I missed them, so definitely will give this another spin with a clearer head.. dunno if that helps at all, sorry bad timing but I wanted to be able to give you some feedback asap! :eek:

Well I guess they think they're Audio-only DVD's, so DVD-Audio seems appropriate to them!? :eek: ..but seriously, I hear ya.. and I know this is a particular peeve for some of us, hence the close-up pic of the erroneous logo ;)

Sorry to hear about this, Adam,

Have you tried to engage dts with the menu button on a corresponding track ?

You likely have, but thought I'd give u my 2 cents anyway.

I have 2 discs that do what yours does but if I engage dts on track 2 or 3 or 4 etc it works.I'm awaiting my Spectral in the mail and hope like hell she works.:kaboom

I haven't FW but I will give it a go, thanks! :upthumb

Got this one in yesterday, so that completes my catalogue of classic Depeche Mode in surround!
(This is the CD/DVD version)

image-1067457401.jpg

(BTW, dig that thumb!) ;)

The CD/DVD edition of "Stormbringer" from Deep Purple arrived today, and I'm spinning it right now!
I haven't really listened to much else besides Chicago over the last few weeks, so it's nice to play something different for a change, even if I don't like it as much.

:)

So, Adam, How is Draconian Times: Paradise Lost in DTS 5.1?

Dunno.. :eek:

..in the words of the Average White Band;
"I got Work To Do... got so much work, yeah, yeah...
doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo.. work.. work..
yeaaaahhhh.. work.. yeah..!!"

:banana:

:ugham:

I'll let you know ;)

This one which was just delivered. I like it a lot.

Leif Ove Andsnes & Berliner Philharmoniker (conducted by Antonio Pappano) - Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos 1 & 2 (EMI Classics DVD-V DTS 96/24)

Leif%20Ove%20Andsnes%20DVD-V_zpsvwpfbxxa.jpg

So, Adam, How is Draconian Times: Paradise Lost in DTS 5.1?

Its ok Ralph.. the mix is kinda unadventurous, nothing to write home about really and mostly one of those "set it and forget it" affairs I would say.. the rears are almost always big guitar crunches or rhythm guitar and the rest of the time muted reverb of the fronts.. very occasional synths or pads (I think that's what they are) pop up in the rears, that are quite buried.. vocals discrete in the centre are a highlight.. Front L&R is where most of the stuff is going on and the Front pair tend to drown out the other channels, particularly the rears (although the Fronts, noticeably the loudest channels of all, don't clip and they don't appear to have been maximised into box hedges.. which is a relief/surprise..)

5.1 was mixed by someone called Jens Bogren, do you know any other surround stuff they might have done? I can't think of any off the top of my head but the name is ringing a distant bell, I think..

Would I have done it differently? Yes!
Am I pro? No!

A fellow named Jens Bogren did it and this is what they came up with.

Not damning it with faint praise (its alright, I've heard much worse) and at least it is the real deal, its real 5.1.. certainly much better than no Surround mix of it at all..
but then maybe I'm too forgiving, there aren't too many instances where I really really wish they hadn't bothered doing a surround mix of something, unless it's an upmix or a "bad" Silverline.. and this is, while unspectacular and uninventive surround, way better than an upmix of "bad" Silverline (I say bad because as we all know there were some Silverline keepers! :D )

Back