HiRez Poll XTC - Nonsuch [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of XTC - Nonsuch

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • 9:

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • 8:

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 7:

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 6:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
LPCM always sounds better than DTS HD. It is same with SW Blu Rays(albums). The higher the mbps the better sound(generally).

You realize that DTS-HD MA reproduces exactly the same bits as on the LPCM? They are both lossless. You can't have more lossless than lossless.

The difference between DTS-HD MA and LPCM is that DTS-HD MA uses less bits (the data is packed) and has the option to output a lossy DTS core output for those players that can't handle DTS-HD MA.

http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/codecs/dts-hd-master-audio.aspx

"DTS-HD Master Audio is bit-for bit identical to the studio master..."

If you are hearing differences it could be because you have the LPCM output "tuned" differently on your AVR than LPCM output. One of the easiest ways to make them sound different is to play them at different volumes. Louder always sounds better. Also the brain is amazing at making things sounds better - because you know that the bitrate is higher your brain says it must sound better, when in reality they are the same bits being output.

You realize that DTS-HD MA reproduces exactly the same bits as on the LPCM? They are both lossless. You can't have more lossless than lossless.

The difference between DTS-HD MA and LPCM is that DTS-HD MA uses less bits (the data is packed) and has the option to output a lossy DTS core output for those players that can't handle DTS-HD MA.

http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/codecs/dts-hd-master-audio.aspx

"DTS-HD Master Audio is bit-for bit identical to the studio master..."

If you are hearing differences it could be because you have the LPCM output "tuned" differently on your AVR than LPCM output. One of the easiest ways to make them sound different is to play them at different volumes. Louder always sounds better. Also the brain is amazing at making things sounds better - because you know that the bitrate is higher your brain says it must sound better, when in reality they are the same bits being output.

You realize LPCM has higher mbps than the DTS track?

Do you realize i have ears?

The LPCM sounds better; period.

You realize that a zip file is smaller than a word document, but when you decode the zip file the word document comes out exactly the same?

There are reasons it can sound different and the LPCM and DTS not be bit perfect copies. There may have been some tweaks on the DTS side prior to the encoding. Your decoder may do something different with regard to bass management etc. or simply result in one playing at a different volume level than the other.

There is no REASON for them to be any different, but they may be, and one can not be faulted for preferring one over the other, just as no one should be faulted for pointing out that technically they should be identical.

You realize LPCM has higher mbps than the DTS track?

Do you realize i have ears?

The LPCM sounds better; period.

On my system I also heard some difference between LPCM and DTS MA, preferring the LPCM. Not sure what makes the difference, and its also not a night and day thing, in that case there would be something very wrong.

I take the LPCM as my standard now, but perhaps i will do some comparison between LPCM and DTS MA on the XTC and Yes BD's.

On my system I also heard some difference between LPCM and DTS MA, preferring the LPCM. Not sure what makes the difference, and its also not a night and day thing, in that case there would be something very wrong.

Agreed. I played LPCM and DTS MA without changing the volume or anything on my receiver, and the LPCM sounds better to me, on my system. Its not a massive difference, and I do realise that it shouldn't, but it just does :mad:@:

Agreed. I played LPCM and DTS MA without changing the volume or anything on my receiver, and the LPCM sounds better to me, on my system. Its not a massive difference, and I do realise that it shouldn't, but it just does :mad:@:

If the DTS-MA is recorded/played a even 1/2 db lower in level than the LPCM, the LPCM will sound better - and no one has checked that the levels are the same, especially now that DTS uses Dial Norm like Dolby. There is no guarantee that the levels are the same among the various tracks offered.

I for one can't tell the difference between the two streams, even if I am aware of the difference in the encoding. And I have a pretty decent setup...

What I would like to have is a listening party with "blind tests" between the two streams. Should be interesting to see how such a party would turn out :D

You all do realize that the DTS HD MA stream on this disc is encoded at 24/48 while the LPCM is at 24/96.

Interesting.

One thing people can try if they're curious: Use Audiomuxer to convert both versions of a sample track to FLAC, then compare the FLAC fingerprints. If they aren't identical, you'll have mathematical proof. If they are identical, then the differences (real or imagined) lie somewhere other than in the encoding scheme.

with
5.1 DTS-HD
5.1 LPCM
The 5.1 DTS-HD already seemed to me at first as a little bit too sharp. Hence, I have changed on 5.1 LPCM where this small deficiency was turned off.
All together the Mch. sound was wonderfully harmoniously and spatially merged, under clear use of the rears, however, without big effect fireworks. To break out in limitless enthusiasm I miss sometimes only a little bit more deep bass and something more, that I can`t describe.

I give for the 5.1 Mix 9/10

Anyone having an issue with the multichannel DTS 5.1 option on the menu? On both my Oppo player and my Panasonic BluRay, instead of 5.1 DTS I get 2-channel LPCM. I ordered directly from the Burning Shed UKL site and wonder if I received a defective disc.

You all do realize that the DTS HD MA stream on this disc is encoded at 24/48 while the LPCM is at 24/96.

No, I didn't. Unfortunately I am one of the ones in the U.S. who are still waiting for Amazon to send them their copy. I just got a notice from Amazon that they still don't have a ship date and would I like to extend my order or cancel? I extended but don't know when the disc will arrive.

I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since I decided to go for the DVD-Audio version so I could (easily) listen at home and in the car.

Anyone having an issue with the multichannel DTS 5.1 option on the menu? On both my Oppo player and my Panasonic BluRay, instead of 5.1 DTS I get 2-channel LPCM. I ordered directly from the Burning Shed UKL site and wonder if I received a defective disc.

Uh-oh. Just got my copy today and I'm loving the MLP 5.1 but I'm also finding the DTS 5.1 option a cruel lie. On my non-DVDa players the only mix I can get is LPCM stereo. Mine came from Amazon UK. Damn.

No, I didn't. Unfortunately I am one of the ones in the U.S. who are still waiting for Amazon to send them their copy. I just got a notice from Amazon that they still don't have a ship date and would I like to extend my order or cancel? I extended but don't know when the disc will arrive.

I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since I decided to go for the DVD-Audio version so I could (easily) listen at home and in the car.

Sorry to hear that your still waiting. At least the BD gives you the option of LPCM 5.1 - it's a dual layer BD with about 33 GB of data so storage space is not the reason for going with 24/48 DTS HD MA - not a deal breaker for me. Still a curious decision.

My friend at Waysidemusic.com told me that he should have copies of Nonsuch (DVD-Audio and blu-ray, I presume) in stock and ready to sell on Monday. He didn't say how many, though.

J. D.

Back