HiRez Poll XTC - Nonsuch [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of XTC - Nonsuch

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • 9:

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • 8:

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 7:

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 6:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Uh-oh. Just got my copy today and I'm loving the MLP 5.1 but I'm also finding the DTS 5.1 option a cruel lie. On my non-DVDa players the only mix I can get is LPCM stereo. Mine came from Amazon UK. Damn.

As Scooby-Doo would say, Ruh-roh! Bet we're not the only ones. I'll email the Burning Shed folks. Do love the MLP 5.1, Steven Wilson has done a superb job with the multichannel mix.

As Scooby-Doo would say, Ruh-roh! Bet we're not the only ones. I'll email the Burning Shed folks. Do love the MLP 5.1, Steven Wilson has done a superb job with the multichannel mix.

Have you tried accessing the original stereo mix on a non-DVDa DVD player? Both non-DVDa players I tried selecting it on failed identically: the screen went black, no sound appeared, and nothing progressed until I hit the menu button. One was a blu-ray player, the other was my oppo 970H set in 'dvd video' mode. Oopso.

On the Oppo in DVD-a mode, all the sound options work except the DTS 5.1 96/24, which ends up playing the 24-bit LPCM stereo remix, I believe. Seems like an authoring issue, or at least it's consistent on two out of the two players I tried it on. Anyone else?

Haven't tried the stereo cd yet, will later. Did email burning shed, will post their reply.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I believe the "Original Stereo Mix" is referring to Steven's effort to match the stereo mix using the original multi-track masters. I'm not as familiar with the original release as you. It should be close, but better.

No, the Original Stereo Mix is on the DVD; to be more precise, it appears as an 'Audio Option' on any DVD player but (for me, on my players) only actually works on a DVDa player. I understand a corrected DVDa is being offered that has the missing DTS stream, perhaps it will fix this little glitch as well.

I couldn't figure out how to access the DTS, maybe this explains it. I got mine from Burning Shed also.

Both of my Blu-ray's for XTC & Yes were waiting for me when I got home today Hooray! Listening to the XTC original stereo mix on cd via headphones at the moment and it sounds really good, not that familiar with Nonsuch, heard bits and pieces eons ago so it is kinda like hearing it for the first time all over again for me. I'm off Friday so I will be giving the Blu-ray a test drive then.

In the end after a couple of listens, I have struggeled to find any reason why this would not be a 10.

Great surround mix great music top quality sound.

Then theres the extras, which seem to go on forever.

Even the booklet is worth a read

10 out of 10

Sorry...wrong answer....HOOONKKK!!!!!
WRONG PLACE for the lyrics...they should be either on the booklet or onscreen or both...

I ain't getting in the internet to view the lyrics every time I listen to the DVD-A....anyway, I do not listen to surround in front of the computer....

10 yard penalty!

I knew my response would get to you. Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'd call it a minor quibble easily fixed with a printer.

Truthfully, I like having the lyrics printed in the package as well, but these days I need a magnifying glass to read them in the small CD sized booklets. So, I end up going online and printing them out in a font size I can read comfortably. I never look at the lyrics on screen. In fact my screen is normally off while I listen (except in the rare case of an exceptional music video.)

I knew my response would get to you. Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'd call it a minor quibble easily fixed with a printer.

Truthfully, I like having the lyrics printed in the package as well, but these days I need a magnifying glass to read them in the small CD sized booklets. So, I end up going online and printing them out in a font size I can read comfortably. I never look at the lyrics on screen. In fact my screen is normally off while I listen (except in the rare case of an exceptional music video.)

I agree with the size of the lyrics....;)
Cheers!

One of the few reference recordings available on BD. Superb recording and a superb mixing job by Steven Wilson.

One of the happy results of my love of surround sound music is that it has led me to begin buying music by bands that I knew of before, but not that well. XTC is one example (King Crimson and Porcupine Tree are two others) and (like those other bands) I think that I am really going to enjoy the discovery to come. This is a superior package in everyway. Sonics are great, the mix is superior, and the extras are top-notch. I don't know this album well-enough to compare to other masterings, but I have trouble imagining that it ever sounded better. This is a 10...a real reference.

I'm so glad they didn't get the original mixing engineer (Nick Davis) to (re)mix this in surround... ;)

I love the tracks with horns in them...

I'm so glad they didn't get the original mixing engineer (Nick Davis) to (re)mix this in surround... ;)

NOW,NOW, now you went and put another engineer down, actually I was thinking same thing but I still don't know if it was Nick Davis as the Genesis mixes aren't that bad, it could have been the mastering person on Genesis surrounds that messed things up as we saw what happened with Sw's mix on Jethro Tull TAAB but fortunately he was able to get it fixed for us.
In case of Genesis it could also have been Tony Banks involvement that got Nick D. to add the extra sauce to the mix as well, who knows.
Agree 100% and glad that SW is steering the ship with these releases.

Never heard the album before. Bought it on the strength of listening to the samples. Absolutely thrilled with it musically, sound quality and surround mix. An easy 10!

Back