HiRez Poll XTC - Nonsuch [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of XTC - Nonsuch

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • 9:

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • 8:

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 7:

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 6:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
10 for me, I knew "My Bird Performs" would sound amazing in 5.1 and I wasn't wrong, goosebumps before the bass even kicked in. Such an expansive surround mix. This is how all albums should be done, so many goodies, no loudness wars, surround sound, lovely jubbly.

Couldn't agree more. I'd go as far to say that, for Blu Ray Audio, this is a reference disc by which all others will be judged :)

Surprised that Neil hasn't mentioned it here, but the reason the dts-ma track is 24/48 instead of 24/96 is that they couldn't get it to mux correctly within specs for old profile 1.0 players, throwing a "possibly exceeds maximum bitrate" error when compiling. At first I thought it curious that they wouldn't just do it anyway and not worry about players like the BD-P1000 (remember the only Blu-ray player on the market for a couple months?) which represent no more than 0.01% of players on the market...but honestly the ONLY reason to include dts-ma anyway is to allow compatibility with all set-ups, it allows those without HDMI or analogue multichannel to stream 1.509 Mbps dts core.

I for one am happy that this track remains as my second system upstairs in my office/studio can handle Blu Ray via my iMac but obviously, the audio output is via the iMac's optical and so this enables me to at least enjoy these discs in that room :)

Looks like the log jam on the DVD-Audio disc with Amazon in the U.S. finally broke. My copy has been shipped and I'm really looking forward to hearing this during the weekend.

Just as a small aside, because I can't resist as much as I tried - the Mitsubishi system is still lossless even if it is not high-rez at 48kHz, 16-bit. Really the big disadvantage were the A/D converter quality at the time and also the 16-bit quantization levels used instead of at least 20-bits. But, 48-kHz easily upconverts to 96kHz (2x) unlike taking 48kHz and converting to CD sampling rates of 44.1kHz (0.91875x). But, lossless means the bits you get out are the same as the bits that you started with. That is certainly true with the DVD-Audio and the Blu-Ray discs of Nonsuch.

What's the resolution for the stereo mixes (original and 2013) on the DVD-A?

the 5.1 is apparently 26/96 but no mention of the 2.0 that I can find

Wow... An already exceptional album taken to a whole new level. The songwriting, the arrangements, the performances, the melodies are so very fine front to back. The 5.1 mix is superb. Have always been a huge fan of Nonsuch but I truly feel as if I have just discovered it for the very first time.

If only everyone knew.

I'll say it again... Wow.

I see I haven't commented on this yet. Well, I have been living with this title for a while now, and this is what good 5.1 is all about. I get to hear a band that I'm not very familiar with but become instantly impressed. The surround mix is stellar, the sound quality is top notch. This was a 10 the first time I heard it, and it keeps getting better.

Dennis

I still cant believe how good this is.

It is a supurb demo quality disc, not only showing off surround at its best but content.

Demo because of the diverse style of music on the disc as well every time i listen i am happy to say that there is an hour of my life i dont want back.

PROS

01. Wilson has used separation to let these often standard rock arrangement breathe in often playful and powerful ways. While I always found the original Stereo mix of Nonsuch to be a tad bloated, Wilson's use of the sound stage really lets this pop rock shine.

02. Solid menus and wonderful "warts and all" liner notes from all the major players. A great read, made even more interesting by the fact that Moulding and Gregory are not exactly on the best of terms with Partridge.

CONS

01. Sometimes, when watching a movie in HD, the fidelity can equally reveal the limitations and strengths of the film. This is the rub for me with Nonsuch. These are clearly some of XTC's most wonderfully eccentric tunes, yet the production, primarily the choices made in the mix, often demand attention in the most irritaing of ways (The snare drum sound in Peter Pumpkinhead, for example).

CONSLUSION

Irregardless of what one thinks of the content of this later XTC effort (I have major problems with much of the production, and wonder if Nonsuch would have been better if Andy just let Dudgeon have his way with the mix) it is undeniable that the 5.1 Mix is another brilliant stroke from Wilson and Co. This offering has me (a major XTC fan) chomping at the bit in anticipation of their earlier catalog (the exquisite Skylarking, Black Sea and Mummer are at the top of my list). If this your go to XTC album then (like Wilson's Close To The Edge by Yes) this version of Nonsuch is the one to own, as it's the now definitive example of the record.

9 of 10

This is a terrific release. I'm still giddy that XTC is getting the Steven Wilson treatment. The surround mix enhances the arrangements without ever being distracting or gimmicky. I know that this is often viewed as a 'lesser' XTC LP but that's only in comparison to the embarrassment of riches that is their other efforts. I think it's a damn good LP and quintessential XTC.

PS I'm glad "Didn't Hurt a Bit" was included. I've been a fan of that song since in first popped up on the "Coat of Many Cupboards" box set.

This one is really a joyful revelation. I was a fan particularly of the earlier, jumpier, some might say "punkier" XTC ("English Settlement," "Drums & Wires," etc.) but continued to follow them up through "Skylarking." Then they lost me with their Dukes of the Stratosfear thing, and just dropped off my radar. Well, I am much older now, and it's a joy to discover what I'd been missing. In fact, they had not lost their edge, they just applied it in a different way -- a bit more poppy and jangly, but still with a wink and a sneer. So, I'm especially pleased to rediscover the band in the relatively neglected medium of surround sound, which does them every bit of justice they deserve. Great tunes and a great surround mix. Highly recommended to errant fans of the band, and as well to any fan of 5.1 music.

This one got me by surprise. I had full faith in the SW treatment but I had thought XTC were past their creative peaks when this album came out and apart from 'Disappointed' and 'Peter Pumpkinhead' all the other songs were new to me. This is a very good album and Smartest Monkeys is insanely catchy. To those of you a bit iffy about XTC you will not be among 'The Disappointed'. The 5.1 treatment is exceptional and SW does need to be cloned, (I suggest we start a petition), so that we can get more sleepers like this mixed with such art and skill. I haven't played a DVD-A as much since Discipline by KC blew me away.

What's the resolution for the stereo mixes (original and 2013) on the DVD-A?

the 5.1 is apparently 26/96 but no mention of the 2.0 that I can find

Original is the 2001 remastering in 24bit/48kHz resolution from the 16bit/44.1kHz mix.

Remix is in 24bit/96kHz from the 16bit/44.1kHz multitracks.

I've received this as a present from my dear Wife. Amazon Wish Lists be praised!

Well..........I was going to try to be that NOOB that didn't throw out 10s so easily. Pink FLoyd DSOTM and Roxy Music Avalon have been mind blowing 10s.............

so I put on this baby and was pretty blow away too. This is not my fave XTC release, but close. There to me, had always been a few songs I could skip on the album, but the beauty of this 5.1 magic is that it can make a great CD Greater, a Great one, simply beautiful and sometimes yeah. a bad mix can even make it worse.

I always considered Nonsuch a very good release on CD...........

This mix actually raised it from very good to simply beautiful. There in skipping a couple levels to a 10

The songs that I kinda thought were meh to good before have now become some of my faves on the DVD-A.......Humble Daily, Crocodile, The Wave, Beds Are Burning (love the guitar bleed out) are now on my replay list and are among the fave songs along with the others I already loved. Wow talk about transcending an album through a 5.1 mix..........well done good sir, good show :51banana:

Original is the 2001 remastering in 24bit/48kHz resolution from the 16bit/44.1kHz mix.

Remix is in 24bit/96kHz from the 16bit/44.1kHz multitracks.

For the surround re-mix - if the multis are 16/44.1 wouldn't it be better to go to 24/88.2????

Although for the Blu-ray it has to be 24/48 or 24/96... so that's probably why....

In theory you're right, but with today's resampling algorithms, the difference is not that audible. As you said it is probably to be compatible with Blu-Ray.

I've never owned this album previously, and had only even heard a couple of the songs before. I must say I'm glad this was released as the surround mix and the album are both brilliant.

I really wanted to like the album, but XTC didn't appeal to me back in the day and I guess they still don't catch my fancy. The English dance hall influence works for, say, The Kinks, but for some reason it annoys me with this band. Could be it's the wink and nudge lyrics in combination with the psychedelic-light major key changes, but it's just sort of monotonous to me. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more listens. If so, I'll come back and amend my opinion.

The sound and mix are excellent and easily worth a 9 or 10, but I can't go more than a 6 at most for the music. I'll say 7 overall.

I really wanted to like the album, but XTC didn't appeal to me back in the day and I guess they still don't catch my fancy. The English dance hall influence works for, say, The Kinks, but for some reason it annoys me with this band. Could be it's the wink and nudge lyrics in combination with the psychedelic-light major key changes, but it's just sort of monotonous to me. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more listens. If so, I'll come back and amend my opinion.

The sound and mix are excellent and easily worth a 9 or 10, but I can't go more than a 6 at most for the music. I'll say 7 overall.

I had a similar reaction to this on the first couple plays, but my daughter loves it even though she has no XTC prehistory. This means it ends up being requested when my daughter is in the car with me and it has really grown on me to the point where I find myself humming tunes from the album days after listening to it. The mix is 10 and the music is easily an 8 now; so for me it is a 9.

Back