Tommy again 5.1 on Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Now on BD! 5.1 and the stones on BD stereo
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Browse-all-DVD-As-Blu-Ray-Audios/products/907/
And! If you don't have Queen A night at the opera!!

QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE OPERA BLU-RAY PURE AUDIO DISC

Coming November 2013 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc!
24bit/96 khz High Fidelity Audiophile Sound: No Compression. No Compromise! 5.1 Surround Sound, 2.0 DTS, and PCM Audio Formats!
Audio-Only Blu-Ray! Plays on Blu-Ray Compatible Players ONLY!
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Rated 231/500!

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Browse-all-DVD-As-Blu-Ray-Audios/products/907/3/0

I've noticed how Elusive Disc claims no compression on the Queen. Must be a special version they made themselves.

They're just parroting Universal's deliberate ambiguity regarding what form of 'compression' these disc are free of-- data (FLAC/MLP/MP3) or audio. Or, to put it another way, here's how NOT to sell premium priced music discs in a shrinking market to spec-aware consumers.

Can't wait to find out who's right about whether the Nick Drake/5LL Blu-ray actually includes a surround mix. I'm not that confident that it will, but I live in hope.

They're just parroting Universal's deliberate ambiguity regarding what form of 'compression' these disc are free of-- data (FLAC/MLP/MP3) or audio. Or, to put it another way, here's how NOT to sell premium priced music discs in a shrinking market to spec-aware consumers.

Can't wait to find out who's right about whether the Nick Drake/5LL Blu-ray actually includes a surround mix. I'm not that confident that it will, but I live in hope.

IIRC the multi's for Five Leaves are/were missing, so unless they've been found, or this is an upmix/unwrap job like the Treasury SACD, I can't see it being 5.1 myself.. but it would be lovely if it were a genuine 5.1 remix from the multi's and a good one at that.

Amazon.de are still showing Nov 15th on Nick Drake & Beck so shouldn't be too long now before somebody gets them and reports back on the exact 5.1 status of the pair of them.

The Queen & Tommy discs are a farce.. Queen because of the terrible 5.1 mastering and Tommy because you can still get the DVDA & SACD in plenty of places.. the Beck makes sense as the old DVD-A & SACD are pricey & hard to get now.

If there were more of these new HFPA BDA's along those lines with 5.1's of titles now in demand/rare (I'm thinking things like T-Rex "Electric Warrior", Matt Bianco "Matt's Mood", The Carpenters "Singles", Frampton Comes Alive, John Hiatt "Bring The Family", Natalie Cole "Ask A Woman Who Knows" and in an alternate universe The Cardigans "Long Gone Before Daylight", Texas "Careful What You Wish For", Keane's "Hopes & Fears"..) they'd be flying off the shelves!

On that kind of tangent, in amongst the slew of French artists released on the "format" by UMG already, I'm surprised there hasn't been an HFPA BDA of anything by "Era" yet.. 2 SACDs (a best of + DVD and "The Mass" album) great examples of surround, popular acts, the "Mass" SACD hard to find now for ok money.. another no-brainer.

If Universal do read any of this stuff out there, take note! I see Calogero 3 is forthcoming on HFPA.. wanna bet there's no 5.1 on it as there was on the old SACD..!? :eek:

IIRC the multi's for Five Leaves are/were missing, so unless they've been found, or this is an upmix/unwrap job like the Treasury SACD, I can't see it being 5.1 myself.. but it would be lovely if it were a genuine 5.1 remix from the multi's and a good one at that.

Amazon.de are still showing Nov 15th on Nick Drake & Beck so shouldn't be too long now before somebody gets them and reports back on the exact 5.1 status of the pair of them.

The Queen & Tommy discs are a farce.. Queen because of the terrible 5.1 mastering and Tommy because you can still get the DVDA & SACD in plenty of places.. the Beck makes sense as the old DVD-A & SACD are pricey & hard to get now.

If there were more of these new HFPA BDA's along those lines with 5.1's of titles now in demand/rare (I'm thinking things like T-Rex "Electric Warrior", Matt Bianco "Matt's Mood", The Carpenters "Singles", Frampton Comes Alive, John Hiatt "Bring The Family", Natalie Cole "Ask A Woman Who Knows" and in an alternate universe The Cardigans "Long Gone Before Daylight", Texas "Careful What You Wish For", Keane's "Hopes & Fears"..) they'd be flying off the shelves!

On that kind of tangent, in amongst the slew of French artists released on the "format" by UMG already, I'm surprised there hasn't been an HFPA BDA of anything by "Era" yet.. 2 SACDs (a best of + DVD and "The Mass" album) great examples of surround, popular acts, the "Mass" SACD hard to find now for ok money.. another no-brainer.

If Universal do read any of this stuff out there, take note! I see Calogero 3 is forthcoming on HFPA.. wanna bet there's no 5.1 on it as there was on the old SACD..!? :eek:

Frampton dvd a is a joke! I found the DD version better. It was so bad I sold it off. They should do kamakririad or something good like the Nick Drake stuff in 5.1!

I'm looking at this thread from c.2004 that's been bumped recently, specifically this post:

"Re: future of Nick Drake on SACD?
Originally Posted by pestosound
Thanks. Glad to have a contact with the inside scoop.
It took a while, but here's the skinny from Simon Heyworth, who mastered 'em....

'As you know Nick Drake is done. The 3 albums are postponed until next year now but they are completed and authored and ready for manufacture.'

If they don't show up, I personally will sh*t....."

Presumably Pestosound's been staying regular over the past decade as the 3 albums sat on the shelf. Now I'll try to stop posting about Nick Drake albums in the 'Tommy again' thread.

I think all these Tommy threads should be merged. And who is Nick Drake? Never heard of him.

Well my Tommy Super Deluxe Box Set arrived this morning just before I left :banana:, but I didn't have time to open the parcel, and I won't be home until Thursday :howl

:yikes In what way??? Is it a different mix?

From the Steve Hoffman Forums :

"The new Blu-Ray is a totally different 5.1 mix - vastly different!!! I didn't need to do a major comparison to tell, either.

I put in the DVD-Audio 5.1 mix and listen to Overture, Pinball Wizard and Go To The Mirror, and then I put in the Blu-Ray disc to listen to the same songs and IMMEDIATELY upon listening to Overture I could tell it was different.

So I listened to the same three songs on both Blu-Ray 5.1 (DTS Master Audio 96/24) and DVD-Audio (MLP 96/24) and they are so different, yet I haven't really had the time to dive in to determine which is better.

I can say that the Blu-Ray 5.1 mix on Pinball Wizard and Go to the Mirror utilize the rear channels A LOT - drums left rear, guitar right rear, etc. Where the DVD-Audio surround mix seems less gimmicky in that respect, it also seems more like 4.0 stereo, less discreet sounds coming from the 5 main speakers. The Blu Ray 5.1 mix was more discreet and probably to some, will be less palatable (because of the distinct separation of drums and guitar, etc into separate speakers). Actually it seems that the original 5.1 mix from 2003 was a bit more cohesive, while using all speakers - yet less discreet in many respects.

Regardless, it (the new Blu-Ray 5.1 mix) is different and therefore, for me, necessary to have.

The Blu-Ray is also much less loud than the DVD-Audio - had to really crank the volume knob on the Blu-Ray to get the same volume.

On another note, upon inserting the Blu-Ray, the disc will play the LPCM 2.0 stereo 96/24 presentation (which I assume is the same as the 2013 Remastered CD). The disc, once you know how to use it, won't need a TV screen, since the yellow button on your Blu-Ray remote will select 2.0 stereo, and the red button will select 5.1 DTS-HDMA 96/24. You can safely bounce between mixes at will without a single skip in play. Pretty nice. "

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...13-deluxe-edition.332319/page-30#post-9631496

Also, from an earlier post by someone else :

"Is the Blu-Ray 5.1 mix the same as the SACD/DVD-Audio from 2003? I ask because I just got the Super Deluxe 2013 edition and the credits state 5.1 tracks mixed by Bob Pridden and Richard Whittaker at FX London. The SACD and DVD-Audio version from 2003 both state 5.1 mix Pete Townshend."

Interesting. I had assumed (like most people I guess) that they'd just use the same 5.1 mix for this new set. I ordered the super-deluxe box from amazon.de when they listed it at the wrong price (18.99 euro!) and they actually honored the price and shipped it….it's in the mail now somewhere. I was figuring on listening to the extra stuff (mostly the live set) and looking at the fancy book then filing the set away but now I'm going to pay some special attention to the blu-ray disc first.

I can confirm the new blu-ray is a different mix. It is much more discrete and to me reveals much more detail. It may bother some that the drums are fixed at the left rear channel, but it works for me. It has a "stage mix" feel as if you are sitting front-right of Keith and behind Roger. The bass tends to be at the front left and the lead guitar at the the front right, but these do move around a bit.

Interesting. I had assumed (like most people I guess) that they'd just use the same 5.1 mix for this new set. I ordered the super-deluxe box from amazon.de when they listed it at the wrong price (18.99 euro!) and they actually honored the price and shipped it….it's in the mail now somewhere. I was figuring on listening to the extra stuff (mostly the live set) and looking at the fancy book then filing the set away but now I'm going to pay some special attention to the blu-ray disc first.

list price is $169.00 you got a deal!!

I'm also one of the ones that lucked out on that Amazon Germany deal of the year. Mine is on the way, and now that I know the 5.1 mix is totally different, I'm super-psyched!

Back