Tommy again 5.1 on Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is very surprising in deed that the blu ray has a different 5.1 mix.
This does not make any sense as Quadrophenia comes out with only half the songs mixed in surround and now we have 2 completely different surround mixes for Tommy.
If enough people say its worth it maybe I will track down the Bluray then.
I see Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca have it listed where you can just buy the bluray.

Another observation from the Hoffman Forum :

"There is bass, it just isn't as loud as the 2003 5.1 mix, and it seems to only come out of the left front speaker. Actually not much in the Subwoofer, but just enough to balance it out.

The new 5.1 mix sounds excellent...very dynamic. The only thing they did that does sort of unbalance the mix is they put the drums mainly, if not all the time in the left rear speaker; the bass in the left front speaker, the guitars move around from front right or rear right speaker. Not much guitar on the left side of the soundstage. Vocals come from different places, never only front and center..but from all speakers, sometimes rear only, sometimes front left, etc.

I notice percussion, other than drums, seems to come from right rear most of the time.

In fact the mix on my system very heavily weighted to the rear.

I like adventurous mixes, so I enjoyed this mix a lot "

I saw the big 12" box over at BBY today. Big sticker on the back says Made in the Czech Republic.

USPS person just gave me a package and it was my Tommy super-deluxe box from Germany! So yeah, I really did get the super-expensive super-deluxe set for what came out to less than $26 shipped.

Unfortunately I have to head out for a few hours but hope to play at least some of it later, or tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks to you guys I ordered from WOW HD last night. Really looking forward to comparing to the Townsend mix.

Really looking forward to comparing to the Townsend mix.
Yes. This is really interesting. As much as I like Townsend's mix I've always felt some things could have been better - like the rears for example. On the other hand I love the way he did the drums. Having 2 distinct 5.1 Tommy mixes sounds like a good thing to me.

I just ordered from amazon.ca and found out that I had a $20 promotional credit. Who knew? My grand total was $11.97. I'd rather they used the mixing time to finish the Quadrophenia mix, but I can't complain about the price I'm paying.

I just received this from Amazon (US) and this weekend I will extract the 5.1 audio to my PC and check out the mix vs. the DVD-A.

A full report will ensue! :)

Please do; Tommy has always been one of my favorite DVD/A's
Dynamic range & 5.1 sonics are incredible
Wish Quadrophenia was as good
At least it could be the whole album, as opposed to 8 cuts

I finally got to listen to it this afternoon. The Blu-ray audio is really clear, no compression that I could hear, better if my memory serves me correctly than the 2003 SACD. The Blu-ray disc has push the Red button for 5.1 DTS-HD MA 24bit/96kHz, and Yellow for 2.0 24bit/96kHz (which works on my Denon - but strangely not with CTTE). What I don't like in the new 5.1 mix is that the drums are more or less only from Left Back (some Timpani in Right Back) - which for some reason I find unsettling! As I suspect the drums were bounced down to single track on the original 8 track master I'd rather have it centre front or centre back. I haven't listened to the 5.1 SACD Pete Townsend mix in quite some time, I didn't like the audio quality, so I'll to listen to it again to compare. So heretically I may actually prefer the 2.0 mix!

Last edited:
I finally got to listen to it this afternoon. The Blu-ray audio is really clear, no compression that I could hear, better if my memory serves me correctly than the 2003 SACD. The Blu-ray disc has push the Red button for 5.1 DTS-HD MA 24bit/96kHz, and Yellow for 2.0 24bit/96kHz (which works on my Denon - but strangely not with CTTE). What I don't like in the new 5.1 mix is that the drums are more or less only from Left Back (some Timpani in Right Back) - which for some reason I find unsettling! As I suspect the drums were bounced down to single track on the original 8 track master I'd rather have it centre front or centre back. I haven't listened to the 5.1 SACD Pete Townsend mix in quite some time, I didn't like the audio quality, so I'll to listen to it again to compare. So heretically I may actually prefer the 2.0 mix!

I'm listening to it right now and I have also a very strange feeling about the drums.
But in fact I think that Universal has made another mistake.

The drums are left back and left front!
So what will it sound, when the channels would be assigned correct.

Just try and place yourself between left front and left back.
I'm sure the channels must be switched:

Front left to back left, back left to back right, back right to front left and front left to front right.
All in all one position counter clockwise, except the center.

Strange, strange....like the Gentle Giant release of Free Hand!:mad:@:

I'm listening to it right now and I have also a very strange feeling about the drums.
But in fact I think that Universal has made another mistake.

The drums are left back and left front!
So what will it sound, when the channels would be assigned correct.

Just try and place yourself between left front and left back.
I'm sure the channels must be switched:

Front left to back left, back left to back right, back right to front left and front left to front right.
All in all one position counter clockwise, except the center.

Strange, strange....like the Gentle Giant release of Free Hand!:mad:@:

I'm set-up for the rears at 120 degrees to the sides. When I moved the chair into the middle of the room the drums are more central. I listened to Pete Townshend's 5.1 mix on the SACD which has the drums in the front and seems more natural. But the sound quality is awful, especially compared to the new Blu-ray.

Back