Tommy again 5.1 on Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all of the times we've read that "It costs too much money to create a 5.1 mix", it seems odd that they would have created a second 5.1 mix of this original 2 album release.

The 2013 5.1 mix was done by Bob Pridden and Richard Whittaker at FX London, while The DVD-A/SACD 5.1 mix released in 2003 was mixed by Pete Townshend himself, assisted by Elliot Mazer and David Pelletier.

Were they unhappy with Pete's mix? What possessed them to remix the whole thing? At least the new mix is far less loud and compressed. I need to listen to it a few more times, but I did create a poll thread for this mix, as it's totally different than the one released 10 years ago.

It's just a shame that we have to spend, again, large dollars to get a 5.1 disc (and no marbles!) :)

I can confirm the new blu-ray is a different mix. It is much more discrete and to me reveals much more detail. It may bother some that the drums are fixed at the left rear channel, but it works for me. It has a "stage mix" feel as if you are sitting front-right of Keith and behind Roger. The bass tends to be at the front left and the lead guitar at the the front right, but these do move around a bit.

Drums in one channel sucks!

I hate that! The Doors 5.1 suffer from that(drums in right front or in debut left).

Drums should be spread across fronts with fills flying to rears or going round room.

It's just a shame that we have to spend, again, large dollars to get a 5.1 disc (and no marbles!) :)

Jon - FYI - There seems to be a single disc version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommy-The-W...&qid=1384296019&sr=8-8&keywords=tommy+blu-ray

http://www.wowhd.co.nz/blu-ray/tommy/dp/35238117#bc=bc84

Also do you have any thoughts on the channels being incorrect - as mentioned here?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...31-Tommy-again&p=195148&viewfull=1#post195148

I hate that! The Doors 5.1 suffer from that(drums in right front or in debut left).

Drums should be spread across fronts with fills flying to rears or going round room.

To me, discrete is king. While I can see your point of view, I think limiting yourself to a strict paradigm of instrument placement is approaching the narrow mindedness of the "Stereo Only" group.

I'm very sorry you can't enjoy this. I prefer it much more than the DVD-A version; as it gives me a new understanding and appreciation of the talent of each musician and the work as a whole. I can truthfully say I had grown somewhat tired of Tommy and this new surround mix has made it a favorite again.

I'm listening to it right now and I have also a very strange feeling about the drums.
But in fact I think that Universal has made another mistake.

The drums are left back and left front!
So what will it sound, when the channels would be assigned correct.

Just try and place yourself between left front and left back.
I'm sure the channels must be switched:

Front left to back left, back left to back right, back right to front left and front left to front right.
All in all one position counter clockwise, except the center.

Strange, strange....like the Gentle Giant release of Free Hand!:mad:@:

Wouldn't it make more sense to move everything round once clockwise?

Rear Left moved to Front Left, Front Left remapped to Front Right? Would create a stereo image of the drums across the front pair?

Either way it sounds like UMG have screwed up on the BDA. I can't believe they've home to all the expense of creating another surround mix yet they don't get anyone to check these things before they get replicated and shipped off to paying customers...

conflicting reports here.. are there mono drums rear left only? or stereo drums rear left and front left?

afaik there's only one track for Moon's drums in the original multitrack recording.. would still make it a bit of an odd mixing decision (from a modern-day 5.1 POV, not back in the Quad era) to just have drums in one channel.

I thought the item in your Amazon link was a 3-disc "2013 Deluxe Edition" set, CD 1 the new 2013 stereo mix, CD2 a Live disc and Disc 3 the new BDA?

At one point there was a pre-order for a standalone, single disc, "HFPA" branded BDA in clear BD case of Tommy, though I can't find that incarnation anywhere for sale at this time.

I thought the item in your Amazon link was a 3-disc "2013 Deluxe Edition" set, CD 1 the new 2013 stereo mix, CD2 a Live disc and Disc 3 the new BDA?

At one point there was a pre-order for a standalone, single disc, "HFPA" branded BDA in clear BD case of Tommy, though I can't find that incarnation anywhere for sale at this time.
The (always 100% factually correct - yeah right!) Amazon description says its one disc Blu-ray Audio...

HA!! bloody fuckwits! It could be anything knowing them! :mad:@:

ok.. who's gonna be the QQ Guinea pig and buy it from that Amazon listing? ;)

I see that there are a number of sellers in the Market Place section of that listing selling it for a couple of quid less. I might buy it from SpeedyHen as I've always had good dealings with them in the past.

I see that there are a number of sellers in the Market Place section of that listing selling it for a couple of quid less. I might buy it from SpeedyHen as I've always had good dealings with them in the past.

do keep us abreast of how you get on with the Hen, if its not an arm and a leg on a wing and a prayer, pix would be handy! :ugham:

do keep us abreast of how you get on with the Hen, if its not an arm and a leg on a wing and a prayer, pix would be handy! :ugham:

I wonder if one of my local HMV's has it in stock? Seriously doubt it, but occasionally these things pop up. I will, of course, keep you informed, unless someone beats me to it :)

The (always 100% factually correct - yeah right!) Amazon description says its one disc Blu-ray Audio...
Having been burned more than once with Amazon's inaccurate listings I opted for purchasing from WOWHD. http://www.wowhd.us/blu-ray/tommy/dp/35238117#bc=2568 They clearly describe it as Blu ray audio and I trust their listings far more than Amazon. Looking forward to giving this one a listen.

I wonder if one of my local HMV's has it in stock? Seriously doubt it, but occasionally these things pop up. I will, of course, keep you informed, unless someone beats me to it :)

afaik HMV's had some of the HFPA's in stock (the 2 x Nirvana's were spotted in Gateshead according to someone posting on the HFPA Facebook page) but I don't go into HMV much these days so can't say with any authority/1st hand evidence, etc.!

Very good 5.1 blu-ray EXCEPT they screwed up PINBALL WIZARD!!! the signature start of the song (acoustic in the r/fr0 and the electric swoosh on the l/fl) is now acoustic guitar rear left and the swoosh front right DEBALLED almost what Steve(n) Wilson did to Emerson's Hammond in Tarkus. The Power is all gone from it. I checked my MSFL GOLD my SACD and my DVD-Audio. That being said Welcome back to Keith Moon's presence which was cut back on the SACD and the DVD-Audio releases. Listen to the UNDERTURE the great example of Moon's being One of Rock's greatest PERCUSSIONISTS no mere drumming here.

Having been burned more than once with Amazon's inaccurate listings I opted for purchasing from WOWHD. http://www.wowhd.us/blu-ray/tommy/dp/35238117#bc=2568 They clearly describe it as Blu ray audio and I trust their listings far more than Amazon. Looking forward to giving this one a listen.

You can always search for items on amazon.com by putting the UPC number in the search box. Then you're sure to get the right one.

Very good 5.1 blu-ray EXCEPT they screwed up PINBALL WIZARD!!! the signature start of the song (acoustic in the r/fr0 and the electric swoosh on the l/fl) is now acoustic guitar rear left and the swoosh front right DEBALLED almost what Steve(n) Wilson did to Emerson's Hammond in Tarkus. The Power is all gone from it. I checked my MSFL GOLD my SACD and my DVD-Audio. That being said Welcome back to Keith Moon's presence which was cut back on the SACD and the DVD-Audio releases. Listen to the UNDERTURE the great example of Moon's being One of Rock's greatest PERCUSSIONISTS no mere drumming here.

from some feedback on here, it would seem the new 5.1 mix is more screwed up than just Pinball Wizard..

So far a few complaints that the sounds are coming from wrong channels. Is this an error in mixing/mastering or done on purpose?

I don't know if anyone can say for sure that anything is coming from a "wrong" channel, since as you said we don't know what the intent was. But the fact that almost all the drums come from the left rear channel is certainly considered by many (myself included) to be an odd choice, if not an error. If it was easy for me to switch channels around I would do it and see if something "locks in" and sounds correct, but in my setup that is not something I'm planning to do.

Back