Mike Keneally's "Sluggo!" upcoming DVD-Audio release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Mike Keneally (for those who do not know him) is a number of things. He's a guitarist who has toured with Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Dethklok (!). He's recorded an album of Steve Vai songs arranged for solo piano (!). He's written and recorded music for the Metropole Orchestra in Holland. And he's recorded a bunch of progressive pop masterpieces that straddle the worlds of Zappa and The Beatles very comfortably. For years, one of his best, called "Sluggo!", has been out of print (and there's a very long story behind that). But now, not only has "Sluggo!" been remixed for a new CD release, it's also coming out as a 5.1 DVD-Audio disc! Here is the pertinent facts from an e-mail Mike sent out today:

-------------------
1) Sluggo! Deluxe (1-CD/2-DVD package) $34

Contains:

* Instant download of the 2013 Stereo Mix of Sluggo! in mp3 or FLAC
* CD with 2013 Stereo Mix of Sluggo! plus 2 bonus tracks
* DVD-A with PCM 16/48 Stereo, DTS 24/48 5.1 Digital Surround, MLP 24/96 Lossless Stereo & MLP 24/96 Lossless 5.1 Surround
* DVD with over two hours of unreleased live and studio video material, the original 1997 stereo mix, more bonus audio tracks, shots of the original tracking sheets and other items
* Digipak with all original artwork plus new liner notes

----------------------
That's right - MLP Lossless 5.1! And remixed from analog multitracks.

What can I say? This is the album that in 1998 made me a Keneally fan. I played it endlessly for about a year. And at 73 minutes, it's essentially a double album, so it's good value for the money.

Preorders start November 7 at http://store.keneally.com/

I'm super excited!

J. D.

Great news! Thanks for the heads up!
Mike has been an unsung musical hero for too long - I hope the membership here gives this a go. Mike 's music is not easily categorized, but it's endlessly creative, rewarding and flawlessly executed. I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new lossless surround sound 5.1 DVD-A coming? Yes! I dont know the artist but I'm in. I will be pre-ordering.

I wasnt into Tull that much in my youth either but I am loving Benefit and Aqualung!

I got this email today as well. This is great news indeed. I quite like much of Keneally's work, but I am actually not familiar with this particular album.

I wonder who did the 5.1 mix....

Here we have more information:

1) Sluggo! Deluxe (1-CD/2-DVD package) $34

Contains:

•Instant download of the 2013 Stereo Mix of Sluggo! in mp3 or FLAC
•CD with 2013 Stereo Mix of Sluggo! plus 2 bonus tracks
•DVD-A with PCM 16/48 Stereo, DTS 24/48 5.1 Digital Surround, MLP 24/96 Lossless Stereo & MLP 24/96 Lossless 5.1 Surround

•DVD with over two hours of unreleased stereo live and studio video material, the original 1997 stereo mix, more bonus audio tracks, shots of the original tracking sheets and other items
•Digipak with all original artwork plus new liner notes

sluggo_deluxe_600.jpg

2) Sluggo! SuperDeluxe (2-CD/2-DVD package), $49

Signed, numbered edition of 1000
Contains all items in Sluggo! Deluxe above, PLUS:

•Live At Mama Kin, a CD of Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins performing live in Boston on August 15, 1998 (newly mixed by Mike Keneally and Mike Harris)
•Hand-numbered and signed by Mike Keneally

sluggo_superdeluxe_600.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Sluggo! 2013 Stereo Mix download in mp3 or FLAC, $10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Sluggo! Original Stereo Mix download in mp3 or FLAC, $10

Look forward to read what people think of this Dvda as I do not know this album at all, will wait till someone who knows the album reports back on this release.
Having said that have almost pulled the trigger a couple of times today on ordering this, this buying surround releases is a disease that I seem to have been inflicted with.

The one thing I'll say about the album, for those who don't know it, is it is eclectic. If the opening song, "Potato" is too conventional for your tastes, don't worry, the weird stuff is coming. If you hate weird stuff, don't worry, there will be more conventional songs as it goes along.

It is indeed eclectic music, but I love the album. I received the DVD-Audio yesterday. It is very discreet and I was surprised how well Mike and his engineer pulled off a first time 5.1 mix. I have listened to the initial release for years and it sounds so great in 5.1! I wonder what possessed Mike to release this new mix?

It is indeed eclectic music, but I love the album. I received the DVD-Audio yesterday. It is very discreet and I was surprised how well Mike and his engineer pulled off a first time 5.1 mix. I have listened to the initial release for years and it sounds so great in 5.1! I wonder what possessed Mike to release this new mix?

Thanks, you sold me on it, I didn't need much convincing, order made.
You didn't comment on how dynamics are but am hoping it sounds good that way as well.

The initial desire was to create a new stereo mix. Mike was getting ready to go on tour with Steve Vai when this album was originally mixed, and Mike has always felt dissatisfied with what he felt was a rushed mix. And since Mike is a surround-o-phile like us, once he had the tracks on his audio workstation, he decided to indulge in a 5.1 mix.

Now to blow my own horn a bit, if I may. Mike is a friend of mine, and when he told me about the upcoming reissue of "Sluggo!", I pushed for a true DVD-Audio release (as opposed to the DTS / Dolby Digital only release that he was considering). To that end, I put him in touch with our own Neil Wilkes who was involved with the production of this disc (I haven't received my copy yet so I don't know exactly how Neil is credited).

J. D.

Hey J.D. Thanks for the behind the scenes info. You did us all a great favor by pushing the DVD-Audio angle. Without the internet, I wouldn't know about Mike. When Frank Zappa hires you, that says something about your talent. I love all of his stuff and the uniqueness of his writing. He always surrounds himself with very talented musicians. I would love to see him live doing his own stuff. I have seen him twice supporting Steve Vai.

You will be so happy with the new and improved Sluggo. In 5.1, so many musical nuances are brought out in the mix. It is really cool to hear instrumental nuances and accents I never heard in the initial release. Thank you so much for pushing for the DVD-Audio. Hopefully the title will sell well and Mike will consider another multi-channel release. My Mama Kin signed and numbered copy was 440 out of 1000.

Thanks, you sold me on it, I didn't need much convincing, order made.

Ditto.

The initial desire was to create a new stereo mix. Mike was getting ready to go on tour with Steve Vai when this album was originally mixed, and Mike has always felt dissatisfied with what he felt was a rushed mix. And since Mike is a surround-o-phile like us, once he had the tracks on his audio workstation, he decided to indulge in a 5.1 mix.

Now to blow my own horn a bit, if I may. Mike is a friend of mine, and when he told me about the upcoming reissue of "Sluggo!", I pushed for a true DVD-Audio release (as opposed to the DTS / Dolby Digital only release that he was considering). To that end, I put him in touch with our own Neil Wilkes who was involved with the production of this disc (I haven't received my copy yet so I don't know exactly how Neil is credited).

J. D.

Well done JD, I just placed an order for the cd/2dvd set. A bit expensive to be honest, but perhaps this is a start of something more, so a bit of monetary support can do no harm :)

Back