Steven Wilson Will In Absentia or Deadwing be Reissued?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's brutal, time to get on Warner's ass about it. I'm sure throughout the various forums the people that have been thankful for an enjoying SW's contributions to the world of surround sound and remixing in the last few years can come up with an organized, respectful plan of attack.

Hello folks

Firstly, I'm very glad you enjoy these records. In Absentia especially remains an album of which I'm very proud. Unfortunately as the sound recordings are owned by Warners, and they seem neither interesting in revamping them, or allowing anyone else to license them to do the job, at present any kind of reissue of these 2 albums seems rather remote.

S

Thank you for In Absentia! I love this album!

Disappointing news regarding Warners.. I'm sure others like me have been quietly waiting for a SW 'Special Edition' announcement. The waiting will continue...

Got both of them recently to add to my Steven Wilson/porcupine tree collection. Love them.

I'm lucky I have them both. In Absentia was one of my first 5.1 albums, an album I love and play quite a bit. So its a shame Warner aren't interested in a re-release so others can get them.

Although I shouldn't be, I am continually stunned by the logic (or lack thereof) used by record labels to not release recordings for reissue or remixing...what's the point of having the masters and not being able to repackage and resell a new and improved version (with unreleased tracks?) for those willing to buy them? Personal vendetta?

Didn't realise the dvd-audios were still available in Japan! Been looking for these for ages. Just ordered them from from cdjapan at a reasonable price too!

Didn't realise the dvd-audios were still available in Japan! Been looking for these for ages. Just ordered them from from cdjapan at a reasonable price too!

I recently bought Deadwing from cdjapan -great value (around £20) and it includes an HQCD disc as well as the DVD-A, and the usual high quality japanese packaging!

Maybe we might finally be closer to having "In Absentia" and "Deadening" reissued!
I happend to notice tonight on both iTunes & Spotify that both albums are now owned by Kscope, so if that's really the case, maybe we will finally see proper reissues of both albums very soon!

I for one would love to have all 6 Porcupine Tree 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray.

:)

Maybe we might finally be closer to having "In Absentia" and "Deadening" reissued!
I happend to notice tonight on both iTunes & Spotify that both albums are now owned by Kscope, so if that's really the case, maybe we will finally see proper reissues of both albums very soon!

A remix or at least remastering of the 2 would sure be nice.

I saw that via the unofficial PT forum - I too hope it is a good sign that the legal issues have been resolved and we'll see some new editions of those albums..sooner please.

I think the mixes are quite good, though having not heard them unmastered, I can't say if they were overly loud before mastering. Remastering is definitely in order, perhaps by Steven himself, this time.

Pretty sure I saw something in an SW interview with him saying he'd like a crack at remixing In Absentia and Deadwing, but he didn't have the rights at that time. I remember having a chat to Andy Leff at one of the Albert Hall gigs where Lasse had an exhibition of unused photo's from various PT sessions, I tried to convince him that it would be a great idea to re-issue Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, FOABP in the now standard book format with 2 CD, DVD and Blu and using the unused photo's etc... I for one would snap them up!

Pretty sure I saw something in an SW interview with him saying he'd like a crack at remixing In Absentia and Deadwing, but he didn't have the rights at that time. I remember having a chat to Andy Leff at one of the Albert Hall gigs where Lasse had an exhibition of unused photo's from various PT sessions, I tried to convince him that it would be a great idea to re-issue Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, FOABP in the now standard book format with 2 CD, DVD and Blu and using the unused photo's etc... I for one would snap them up!

It would probably lead to divorce for me..... but it'd be worth it. Take my money, please. ;)

IIRC, dissatisfaction with the Deadwing and In Absentia mixes is what caused him to start mixing in 5.1 himself. "I think I can do better," or something to that effect.

IIRC, dissatisfaction with the Deadwing and In Absentia mixes is what caused him to start mixing in 5.1 himself. "I think I can do better," or something to that effect.

Not sure about that, I vaguely remember reading that he sat in with Elliot when mixing the 5.1 of IA and Deadwing and learned a great deal from it, hence starting to mix 5.1 himself in 2006.

I never heard/read him say he dislikes the surround mixes of those, but I know he does not like the compressed stereo mixes of those albums.

Here's the real skinny:

Steven did not like Elliot's first surround mix of "In Absentia", but when Elliot did a second surround mix of the album, Steven was able to be there in person, make suggestions, and settle on what has since been released.
After Elliot mixed "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" in surround, Steven wanted to give it a try himself, hence why he got his own surround mixing setup and began to do his own surround mixes for other albums in his catalogue.

But yes, there were some things that Steven learned from Elliot and other things he did strictly via his own intuition.

This might warrant its own thread, but I just got an email from Kscope announcing remastered reissues of In Absentia and Deadwing on vinyl:

"We are thrilled to announce that we have acquired two of the most popular Porcupine Tree albums, In Absentia and Deadwing, which we're giving a long-awaited reissue on vinyl including special limited colour editions! For the first time since their original release, both releases have been remastered by Steven Wilson with considerably less compression and limiting."

This sounds promising! Does anyone know if these are/will be remastered in surround? :D

Edit: I did some digging, and on Dec 7, 2017, the Burning Shed Twitter account mentioned new surround mixes "next year": https://twitter.com/burningshednews/status/938813797569060866

Back