Steven Wilson Will In Absentia or Deadwing be Reissued?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bonus tracks are not inverted just the album tracks

Are you sure about this? I checked them and from looking at the first few seconds of a track or two I was unsure, so I checked different parts of the files and they all seemed to be inverted to me. Hmm, maybe I need to re-analyze them.

Edit: From 'Drown With Me'

Capture.jpg

The beginning of 'Drown With Me' has some kind of a vibrato effect or something on the guitar and I think that's making it harder to tell what's going on.

Here's the very beginning of 'Chloroform' also:

Chloroform.JPG

The beginning of 'Drown With Me' has some kind of a vibrato effect or something on the guitar and I think that's making it harder to tell what's going on.

Here's the very beginning of 'Chloroform' also:

View attachment 31470

Looks like I’m wrong. I had a quick look and thought it looked the bonous track I looked at was correct. Not at home now so can’t confirm.

Looks like I’m wrong. I had a quick look and thought it looked the bonous track I looked at was correct. Not at home now so can’t confirm.

Here's a snippet of Futile also:

Futile.jpg

'Drown With Me' and 'Chloroform' both have some vibrato effect on the guitar and keyboard which makes it harder to figure out what's going on, and 'Futile' is ballsy distortion rock all around, so I think that makes it harder too. I did have a lot more trouble analyzing the three bonus tracks than all of the regular album tracks. Still not 100%, but I do think they are all three inverted too.

Done my Audacity homework as well - thanks, everyone!

One more thing I had to google: if you don't want to end up with a 16bit file, make sure you proceed like this:
Files -> Save audio in another format -> select FLAC -> Options -> select FLAC level + Bit depth -> Save
The preference works for every next file until adjusted again.

I'm delighted that I could help spread the information, especially for folks that care enough to be lurking in this part of the forum. :)

It's funny this showed up now. When I got this disc back in 2005 I had just started to build up my first home cinema system with surround sound. This disc has always freaked me out because it felt like the phase was wrong with the center channel. I even changed polarity on the center speaker on purpose whenever listening to the album and it sounded spot on.

So, I went ahead and contacted DTS Entertainment and actually got a reply. I can't remember who I talked to, but we went back and forth since at first the guy had problems to understand my issue with the release. But he sounded helpful and said he wanted to try replicating my probs with his own system. After a while our conversation died because he told me there were no issues and everything is as it should be. He actually started blaming my center speaker!

I therefore really hope that this gets fixed with the upcoming re-issue, since this problem has bothered me ever since. Of course I'll keep my original DVD-A forever since I met Gavin Harrison a few years ago at the Musikmesse Frankfurt and he was kind enough to sign that copy for me :D

Interestingly, I seem to be the first guy who can't hear a difference. It must be something with my setup, perhaps it's Linux, perhaps my playback software, or perhaps the bass management settings in my receiver.

Either way, I had the album as 24-48 FLACs on my hard disk. I always rip to 24-48 because I can't hear any difference to 24-96 and I want to save hard disk space and avoid playback problems that Linux has with higher-resolution files. Anyway, I inverted the center in those files in Audacity, then re-exported at 24-48.

When A-B'ing, I can't hear any difference between before and after, no matter how hard I try. It sounded about okay (but a bit thin on the bass side) before, and it still sounds about okay now.

I'm definitely keeping the new files around, because I have every reason to believe the difference is there, judging from all your comments!

Interestingly, I seem to be the first guy who can't hear a difference. It must be something with my setup, perhaps it's Linux, perhaps my playback software, or perhaps the bass management settings in my receiver.

Either way, I had the album as 24-48 FLACs on my hard disk. I always rip to 24-48 because I can't hear any difference to 24-96 and I want to save hard disk space and avoid playback problems that Linux has with higher-resolution files. Anyway, I inverted the center in those files in Audacity, then re-exported at 24-48.

When A-B'ing, I can't hear any difference between before and after, no matter how hard I try. It sounded about okay (but a bit thin on the bass side) before, and it still sounds about okay now.

I'm definitely keeping the new files around, because I have every reason to believe the difference is there, judging from all your comments!

Do you run your center speaker full range or with a crossover? If you run it full range, you might not be able to hear much difference because the bass has a harder time canceling acoustically in the room. But, if you use a crossover, and the bass is summed in your pre-amp/receiver, then cancellation will definitely occur. I recall hearing the difference clearly on the Opeth album with the same problem.

I haven't tried inverting the center on In Absentia yet, so I can't comment on the difference I hear.

It's funny this showed up now. When I got this disc back in 2005 I had just started to build up my first home cinema system with surround sound. This disc has always freaked me out because it felt like the phase was wrong with the center channel. I even changed polarity on the center speaker on purpose whenever listening to the album and it sounded spot on.

It's amazing to me that you were able to hear that the center was out of phase. I assumed the only way you'd be able to determine that is by looking at the waveforms. Impressive!

I’m glad you mentioned this, because I don’t hear a difference either. However, I have a spectrum analyzer on my system, and I can see a difference in the amplitude of the low frequency bars (they’re much taller after inverting the center channel).

I wonder if you are using a receiver with "Phase Matching Bass" and therefore it is compensating already.

How are mistakes like this so common? Do sound engineers and publishers not listen to preliminary cuts before they go to press?

I can think of Neil Young's Harvest, Keane's Hopes and Fears, this and several other 5.1 mixes that are messed up in the final retail pressings.

Absolutely unacceptable. Not all of us know how to remix these releases in software as flacs or should we have to do so.

Damn shame.

Last edited:
Do you run your center speaker full range or with a crossover? If you run it full range, you might not be able to hear much difference because the bass has a harder time canceling acoustically in the room. But, if you use a crossover, and the bass is summed in your pre-amp/receiver, then cancellation will definitely occur. I recall hearing the difference clearly on the Opeth album with the same problem.

I haven't tried inverting the center on In Absentia yet, so I can't comment on the difference I hear.

Ahhh, good thought! I double-checked and it was already set to "small" though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back