BluRay Music Video Poll Wilson, Steven - DRIVE HOME [BluRay Video]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Steven Wilson - DRIVE HOME

• 10: Great surround, Great Audio, Great Content

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • 8:

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor audio, poor content

• Total voters
I voted 10 as well. I was tempted to vote 9 for a second simply because it is an EP and therefore it is a bit short. And, it is also a bit of an "odd" release with a mix of videos, live footage, and audio only (still image) tracks.

But, the quality of both the studio and live material is fantastic, in both surround and stereo! It is so good that I just had to give it a 10.

I am listening to the CD now on my office system, and it sounds awesome too. The live tracks sound every bit as good as the studio material.

I am also really happy to have the Drive Home and Raven videos on bluray, with DTS-HD surround. What an incredible experience that is. I hope Steven continues to release his videos on bluray.

I have been a fan of Steven Wilson for almost 20 years now, and the quality of his output just keeps getting better.

This is a very difficult vote…I get pulled in a lot of different directions with this one.

Value for your money - easy 10
sound quality - easy 10 (again)

content…this gets a little more difficult.

I bought this more or less just for The Raven orchestral version, and in that regard I'm really happy and it's money well spent. The edit of Drive Home is nice - it's a good tune and I thought the album version went on just a bit longer than it needed to…but this one's a bit too short…gimme one halfway between! The live tracks are well recorded and video clips are nice. The extra new track - "Birthday Party" though just does nothing for me even after several plays. Glad he left it off the album though it wouldn't have changed my rating of the album much either way.

So…content…I guess maybe 7? In my world content gets the heavier weight so I guess that mean a * overall. I know I should a little negative bit I'm glad to have this in my collection even though when I say to myself "I want to play some SW" it's not likely this will be my first go to choice.

Bought it for the Drive Home and Raven videos. They had a young friend in tears, she was very upset. I too find both disquieting but somehow fascinating. Excellent production, sound, video, surround mix.

Mr first thought was to knock this down a little because it's not the whole concert as I would have preferred, but it is what it is. And it's perfect! The video's, the live songs, the B'day Party; it's all great. I still think this band is, imo, the best band on the planet right now. I still hope he puts out the whole show from this tour, but for now, this will suffice.

K

Im totally on the other side with doppelbock. Well not totally. I lovee the EP ut sounds superb. And the best of the whole thing is The Birthday Party which actually is the tune I like the most from all! I cant understand how it didnt make the album. I cant stop playing it. I would like it if, when you buy blu rays, get the songs in lossless flac somehow, since not everybody can rip the songs from bluray.

Gave it a 9 just because I had to pay a lot extra over the special edition to get two new tracks and some live stuff i could have lived without

9/10 Because Drive Home live is not included
That's what I said. GG's solo at the end of the song was my favorite part of the show. Opportunity missed especially since it's the titular track of this release.
But the rest is perfect!

That's what I said. GG's solo at the end of the song was my favorite part of the show. Opportunity missed especially since it's the titular track of this release.
But the rest is perfect!

Agreed, that was a highlight of live the show. Studio or live the Drive Home solo just makes me melt. GG is an amazing player. I've played this EP a few times since purchase. For me it was worth it just for the live version of Watchmaker. The solo in that song is a close second to Drive Home.... just amazing. I'm planning on taking the booklet to get GG to sign at the upcoming NAMM conference here in LA.

Just received the Bob Dylan 30th Anniv Concert Celebration on Blu. Terrific HD picture and stereo sound--no 5.1 on this release. How can you go wrong with Neil Young, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Roger McGuinn, Eric Clapton, and Bob himself among many many others.

Mike - you should probably post this on a different thread as this is specifically for Steven Wilson's "Drive Home." Especially as this is not even in surround! There is an "All Things Blu" section on the forum page where you can either post a new thread or contribute to an existing thread (should there be one), on this specific title. Either way, stereo is not good news!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I discovered a "funny" thing yesterday, when i for the first time listened to the Bluray stereo track in my headphones. All my previous listening has been in 5.1.

When I came to the live version of Watchmaker something was wrong - I could see that Theo Travis was playing his flute (around 2 mintes mark), but I could not hear it. Same thing for some backing vocals later in the same song. All this is perfectly heard on the 5.1-track and on the CD stereotrack as well, but here it is missing.

Anyone else noticed this? I find it hard to believe that this should be an error on my specific copy... Would be nice if some of you could check it out and report back.

Thanks!

@uffeolby: Yep, I hear the same thing here. Now I have another reason to never listen to stereo when surround is available. :)

Bought it for the Drive Home and Raven videos. They had a young friend in tears, she was very upset. I too find both disquieting but somehow fascinating. Excellent production, sound, video, surround mix.

My better half finds "The Raven" extremely upsetting as well. It's an incredibly emotive story as well (have you read the tale in the book edition of the album?)
What a musical piece though.

Is there any way to read the story if you didn't spring for the deluxe set? I didn't find anything on google...

Good question.
All have their own story in the book edition (of "The Raven etc" and not "Drive Home" of course).
I'd still love top hear a full show with Guthrie's guitar work.....he was outstanding at the RAH last year

I'd still love top hear a full show with Guthrie's guitar work.....he was outstanding at the RAH last year
I second that. Mr. Wilson has been extremely generous with his live video releases. Unfortunately we only got an appetizer from his latest tour, my favorite to date especially with Guthrie's guitar virtuosity.

Gave this another listen yesterday, a wonderful 'EP'. In some ways I think the orchestral version of "The Raven..." is better than the album version. When those strings swell playing the musical motif in the last couple of minutes of the track, it affects me in a way that the 'rock' version doesn't.

My daughter has a similar emotional response to the song as the other partners mentioned, she loves it but "Dad, it's just so sad". I also have the Deluxe edition with the book/stories, and she knows and loves the full story. I was surprised the video wasn't on the Blu-ray of the full album.

All in all though, a nice sideline from the main album with superb audio and visuals, and definitely not a hasty cynical knock-off to make a few bucks extra. 10/10 from me.

Back