Steven Wilson Why are the instrumental mixes on blu-ray only in stereo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMachine

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In the past and future there were/will be also instrumental mixes on blu-ray releases.
Why are they only in stereo?
Is it because there is not enough capacity on the medium?

In the past and future there were/will be also instrumental mixes on blu-ray releases.

I'm only guessing, but last November when Omnivore released instrumental mixes of both Jellyfish albums, I remember reading an article that said, if I recall correctly, that the mixes were done during the recording process, presumably as an aid in practicing vocals prior to recording them, and that it wasn't unusual for bands to do this.

So, given that, I would guess that the instrumental mixes were available so they threw them on the BD as a bonus. Again, just a guess. I don't get the impression that these mixes are popular, so I doubt they go to the trouble of remixing in 5.1.

They wouldn't have to do a separate mixing session to do 5.1 instrumental mixes - you just recall your full 5.1 mixes and mute the vocal tracks before you output the mix.

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like such an easy thing to do. I'd really like to hear CttE without vocals in 5.1. I can't imagine capacity would be an issue on the Bluray. Even if it were, the could've just added them in a lossy DTS 5.1 format that wouldn't take any more space than the stereo instrumental track in DTS-MA.

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like such an easy thing to do. I'd really like to hear CttE without vocals in 5.1. I can't imagine capacity would be an issue on the Bluray. Even if it were, the could've just added them in a lossy DTS 5.1 format that wouldn't take any more space than the stereo instrumental track in DTS-MA.

Actually that would have been quite easy to do, and I think the blu-ray would have the capacity for sure. Not something anyone has ever requested or mentioned before, but will certainly bear it in mind for future releases.

Add the to the list voting for 5.1 instrumental mixes. Part of the fun of the instrumental mixes is being able to listen to individual instruments without the distraction of the vocals (hate to disrespect vocals that way, but hey). Spreading them around the soundfield makes that even better.

Back