Steven Wilson 19 How do you approach the artists when you want to do a 5.1 remix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hello,
I would really like to know what your strategy is when approaching the artists to create a 5.1 mix of their albums. If I remember correctly you managed to get the multitracks and send a demo to convince Robert Fripp, but what was the story with ELP, Yes or XTC?
In the case of the never done remixes, did you already tried contacting The Who, Peter Gabriel or Pink Floyd's management?
Thanks a lot for all your work and believe me, you do have fans in Spain!

I would really like to know what your strategy is when approaching the artists to create a 5.1 mix of their albums. If I remember correctly you managed to get the multitracks and send a demo to convince Robert Fripp, but what was the story with ELP, Yes or XTC?
In the case of the never done remixes, did you already tried contacting The Who, Peter Gabriel or Pink Floyd's management?
Thanks a lot for all your work and believe me, you do have fans in Spain!

Hello there,

I don't is the simple answer - it's nearly always been the initiative of the record company / copyright holder / manager. Even in the case of King Crimson, it was an idea from management first and foremost. Having said that, when I meet anyone connected with an artist or band I like, I usually bring up the idea of doing remixes, and in some cases that gets back to the right person, and I then get an official approach - for example in the case of Yes and XTC, Declan Colgan at Panagyric knew I was a big fan of both bands, and he discussed it with me before proceeding with licensing the albums from the major labels concerned.

Generally I would say that the more well received work I do the more I get approached by other artists that want me to do the same, so it's quite possible that eventually some of the other artists on my wish list will show up at my door - I can hope!

S

Hello!

Thanks for the candid answer, I think I was hoping for something like "yes, I met Chris Squire at a party and he strongly suggested I should remix on of his Yes albums!"

As you say, I do hope these series are successful and you're approached by more musicans.

Thanks a lot again for your answer

I wish that we fans could somehow give impetus to the record labels or artists to make them seriously think about issuing similar anniversary editions you have been involved in creating. How wonderful it would be to see a classic Tangerine Dream title like Phaedra, Stratosfear, Cyclone, Force Majeure etc. reissued in a Deluxe Edition with your 5.1 lossless mix!!!
Should we contact Edgar Froese?

Back