Peter, Paul & Mary Stereo SACDs from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The long-awaited remastered editions of "Album 1700" and "Live In Concert" by Peter, Paul & Mary are now available for pre-order in Hybrid Stereo SACD at the Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc web sites. Previews of the albums in their Vinyl editions have been offered at recent audio shows by Chad Kassem of Analogue Productions. The albums have been remastered by Kevin Gray of Cohearent Audio.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94823/Peter_Paul__Mary-Album_1700-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94822/Peter_Paul__Mary-In_Concert-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Pretty funny! I guess they want to compete with AF who is also putting out a PPM title on SACD.

Pretty funny! I guess they want to compete with AF who is also putting out a PPM title on SACD.

Similar to the Nat King Cole Remastered Series - Analogue Productions issued the 3 Channel and 2 Channel Stereo SACDs. The Nat King Cole SACD from Audio Fidelity was a Mono SACD.

they had so many good audiophile sounding titles you could have 2 companies issuing their stuff without any doubling up.
and there appears to be no doubling here...
the first 2 PPm cd's when issued by WB were remixed direct to 2 track digital from the original 3 track masters by Peter Yarrow in 1985...and they added in digital reverb...much like the beatles help and rubber soul cd's were done in 1987...so for starters there are 2 versions of the master tapes for the first 2 titles.AF is using the analogue one from 1962 for the first title as an SACD ..AP are not doing an SACD of that title...only a vinyl of that title and an SACD and vinyl of the "in concert" and "album 1700".....and a double 45 of their third lp "in the wind"...
so it looks like analogue tapes all the way ...and no doubling up with each other..

the only thing I find funny is why this group wasn't given the audiophile treatment alot earlier..

I should add that WB have done a pretty good job with PPM the 1985 remixes are pretty good with a lot less tape hiss.. and more detail,...the only real audio mistake was when they let Rhino do a box set and master it with digital loudness compression

Last edited:
they had so many good audiophile sounding titles you could have 2 companies issuing their stuff without any doubling up.
and there appears to be no doubling here...
the first 2 PPm cd's when issued by WB were remixed direct to 2 track digital from the original 3 track masters by Peter Yarrow in 1985...and they added in digital reverb...much like the beatles help and rubber soul cd's were done in 1987...so for starters there are 2 versions of the master tapes for the first 2 titles.AF is using the analogue one from 1962 for the first title as an SACD ..AP are not doing an SACD of that title...only a vinyl of that title and an SACD and vinyl of the in concert and album 1700.....and a double 45 of their third lp in the wind...
so it looks like analogue tapes all the way ...and no doubling up with each other..

the only thing I find funny is why this group wasn't given the audiophile treatment alot earlier..

I should add that WB have done a pretty good with PPM the 1985 remixes are pretty good with a lot less tape hiss.. and more detail,...the only stuff up was when they let Rhino do a box set with digital loudness compression

If these SACDs are successful, there could well be more. Stay tuned.

I could use a SACD of Late Again. For the other titles, I've got the excellent 7 1/2 IPS reels.

The Peter, Paul & Mary SACD from Audio Fidelity appears to be just around the corner. Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc are showing it arriving on February 18th while Amazon.Com will have it on March 4th.
Looks like an interesting one.

Similar to the Harry Belafonte Remastered Series - Analogue Productions issued the 3 Channel and 2 Channel Stereo SACDs. The Belafonte SACD from Audio Fidelity was a Mono SACD.

I don't know of any Belafonte SACDs from Analogue Productions. What titles have they announced?

I don't know of any Belafonte SACDs from Analogue Productions. What titles have they announced?

Good catch. It should have said Nat King Cole SACDs. Although I would welcome some Belafonte SACDs from Analogue Productions! :)
For example, to date, the only Belafonte at Carnegie Hall on SACD is the one issued by RCA Hong Kong.

I've just got the sacd of PPM from AF...haven't tested it on my main hifi yet but it sounds pretty good in the car...even has a Peter Yarrow count in for "This Train"

It's very good in SACD Stereo. Definitely heightens the anticipation for the other three PPM SACDs !

I now have the first PP&M release from Audio Fidelity. I find it a touch hard but more listenable than several other recent SACD releases I have from Audio Fidelity, which I never play. I play the Audio Fidelity PP&M SACD quite often but will say this I look more forward to the Accoustic Sound PP&M releases. IMO Accoustic Sound releases have always sounded very very good to superb .

I now have the first PP&M release from Audio Fidelity. I find it a touch hard but more listenable than several other recent SACD releases I have from Audio Fidelity, which I never play. I play the Audio Fidelity PP&M SACD quite often but will say this I look more forward to the Acoustic Sound PP&M releases. IMO Acoustic Sound releases have always sounded very very good to superb .

I play this one often as well. I especially like the track "Lemon Tree" in SACD Stereo. Very nice. It does show that the Peter, Paul & Mary catalog will benefit from SACD remastered editions.
And yes, it's hard to go wrong with the reissues from the Acoustic Sounds label Analogue Productions.

I see that "Album 1700" will be out on Vinyl from Analogue Productions on Monday, following "In Concert". Once these have been on the market awhile, the SACDs will follow.
Should be worth getting!

Single layer SACD available now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151341506105

Limited edition of 1,000

Got mine for $33.00 after a few counteroffers, $36 with the shipping

Also at Acoustic Sounds if $10.30 shipping works for you, or you're buying a bunch of stuff to get free shipping

Hmm, the Top Music SACDs are usually Hybrid Layer SACDs. The big question will be how it compares to the Hybrid Stereo SACD already available in the U.S. for $24.98

I'm just hoping it's not the remixed version but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

If you really have to have it, just remember what Forrest Gump's mama said about such things....;) She might as well have said, 'If you pay your money then you take your chances...'

ED :)

APO is taking their time with these while AF has one with an actual release date.

Attachments

• newrelease.jpg
    newrelease.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 195
APO is taking their time with these while AF has one with an actual release date.

It all depends on licensing, getting the tapes, remastering, artist sign-off on the test pressings, QC, pressing plants, etc.
In The Wind on SACD from AF has been pending for months. PP&M fans are very happy right about now!

The other factor with Analogue Productions is that they like to release the Vinyl LP first, wait some time, do the SACD, wait some time and then do the download editions.

We're in the SACD waiting period on Album 1700 by Peter, Paul & Mary (Stereo SACD), Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (3 Channel SACD) and Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall (3 Channel SACD).
Those 3 are In Stock in Vinyl LP from Analogue Productions, awaiting release dates on SACD.

We're in the SACD waiting period on Album 1700 by Peter, Paul & Mary (Stereo SACD), Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (3 Channel SACD) and Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall (3 Channel SACD).
Those 3 are In Stock in Vinyl LP from Analogue Productions, awaiting release dates on SACD.

I'll be buying all 3 of these SACDs.

Back