HiRez Poll Who, The - TOMMY (2013 Mix) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
my two pennuth.. the mag is wrong, the mix as presented on the HFPA is duff and they (Universal and the FX lot) don't care.

its disappointing (but not v.surprising) no-one at FX had the decency to get back to you Rob.. but it seems its business as usual with UMe/UMG.. we have to be grateful for the shitty crumbs they deign to toss our way and its put up or shut up.. but then that's what you get from a mega corporation with a disgustingly unhealthy amount of control over/ownership of the music biz.

I told HFPA on their Facebook that if they do more discs like this, I'm all in! :)

If anybody's reading new comments like yours on the HFPA Facebook page RT, they certainly aren't responding.. there's been no activity there for a month now from the PR people Universal hired to run that page. What a shambles... :(

Anyone tried playing this using component outputs? This is the first Blu-ray disk I've got (that I know of) where component outputs are blocked, so all I see on the screen is black. I can still play it and choose audio options, so no big deal. Just weird.

Anyone tried playing this using component outputs? This is the first Blu-ray disk I've got (that I know of) where component outputs are blocked, so all I see on the screen is black. I can still play it and choose audio options, so no big deal. Just weird.

??? I know they can now limit the output of component to standard-rez, but I don't think it can be "blocked." Sounds like something else might be amiss...

Well, this is the only disk with the problem. Strangely the menu will display when the program has completed. Then if I decide to play it again the screen again turns black. It's consistent anyway.

Well, this is the only disk with the problem. Strangely the menu will display when the program has completed. Then if I decide to play it again the screen again turns black. It's consistent anyway.

That is strange indeed. I'd guess you aren't too interested in troubleshooting since you can still hear it. Wonder if it's the BR authoring, maybe in combo w/ your player.

I disconnected the component cables and plugged in a HDMI instead. Made no difference. The disk displays fine if I use my other player.

Yeah, there are times when it's a bit weird having Keith over your left shoulder but I see what they were going for - creating a soundstage with bass and drums left side and guitars, piano right (for the most part) with vocals in the middle. Most of the time things seemed balanced enough considering the entire drum kit was recorded mono (onto a single channel of the multis). I do prefer the old SACD Townshend mix but ended up enjoying and appreciating much of this one too. The sound is quite impressive - full, warm and clear. The mastering of the original stereo mix is perhaps the best I've heard. 9

what is it called? HDCP? It's the copyright method encrypted in BD video, pretty sure. Mostly only hdmi will transfer the signal.

I just got the single High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc version...

Interestingly it says "Disc 3" on the disc itself... :mad:@:

May have been mentioned before (couldn't see it....) but they've stopped using 'disc 3' from the box set - mine arrived today, as having enjoyed the Quadrophenia HFPA disc I ordered Tommy (currently under £12 at Amazon.co.uk :D ) and the disc is different to the earlier one shown in this thread

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
May have been mentioned before (couldn't see it....) but they've stopped using 'disc 3' from the box set - mine arrived today, as having enjoyed the Quadrophenia HFPA disc I ordered Tommy (currently under £12 at Amazon.co.uk :D ) and the disc is different to the earlier one shown in this thread
That's the same disc I just received. I ordered it from Sound City Beaches (Canada) off fleaBay for USD $15.95; they have some great prices on BDA and will combine shipping too.

The sound is tremendous on this disc. I really felt immersed in the surround mix but as others have noted, the channel assignment does seem a bit odd at times. There seems to be just a bit too much volume in the rear channels and I think I'll play around with the levels the next time I listen. Moon in the left rear is different but I didn't find it annoying.

I ran across another Tommy thread here debating whether or not the channel assignments were screwed up in the final product; any consensus on that?

After getting my dipole surrounds properly positioned 4 - 5 months ago, I've been going back to discs that I may have had reservations about, just to see what they sound like now. I've played this one from start to finish for the last 2 nights and I'm really impressed. Compared to the old dvda/sacd it's easily more discrete and of a higher fidelity. The mix is, as others have said, a bit odd but I find I'm getting used to it and it doesn't bother me. I'm really tuning in to Townsend's guitar work. As an example, on Christmas I can distinctly hear the power-chord changes. Really cool stuff that I never noticed on the old disc because it just wasn't clear enough.

Back