HiRez Poll Who, The - TOMMY (2013 Mix) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
However, when you A-B the two mixes, the new mix is [..] less loud. You can see that in the wav files above, and you can hear it with your ears.
When comparing audio you should try to match the levels as good as possible. I'm not so sure that the DVD-A was very compressed but probably mastered a bit more in pop/rock fashion. You are right about the LFE channel.
I'm surprised by this new surround mix, especially that Pete Townsend allowed this to happen.

I get the feeling Pete Townshend is not that interested in remixing his work anymore, though I do agree its surprising he's let this all happen without him.

also I'm not complaining, the more 5.1 the merrier as far as I'm concerned.. but it is crazy that we get multiple "modern-day" (post-Quad era) releases of surround mixes of the same albums:

Quad & 5.1 of PF's DSOTM,
Quad & 5.1 of PF's WYWH,
Quad & 5.1 of Deep Purple's Machine Head,
Quad & 5.1 of Tubular Bells,
Quad & 5.1 of The Allman Brothers @Filmore East,
Quad & 5.1 of Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle,
3 x 5.1's of Queen's ANATO,
2 x 5.1 mixes of Layla,
2 x 5.1 mixes of The Who's Tommy..

..with..

a Quad and 2 x 5.1's of Clapton's 461 OB,
2 x 5.1's of ELP's BSS,
2 x 5.1's of Yes' Fragile

..all on the horizon..

..and meantime, there are many albums long remixed into 5.1 that still haven't been released and scores more deserving of at least one surround remix that have never and likely will never see a 5.1 remix.

I get the feeling Pete Townshend is not that interested in remixing his work anymore, though I do agree its surprising he's let this all happen without him.

According to the booklet in the 'Tommy' disc, the 2013 Blu Ray edition was 'produced by Pete Townshend'. Whether that's a token credit to ensure a payday, but I still think he has a big say in what happens to his 'children'. That's just my opinion, not based on anything other than my experiences gained from working in the industry and how stuff like this often works.

also I'm not complaining, the more 5.1 the merrier as far as I'm concerned.. but it is crazy that we get multiple "modern-day" (post-Quad era) releases of surround mixes of the same albums:

Quad & 5.1 of PF's DSOTM,
Quad & 5.1 of PF's WYWH,
Quad & 5.1 of Deep Purple's Machine Head,
Quad & 5.1 of Tubular Bells,
Quad & 5.1 of The Allman Brothers @Filmore East,
Quad & 5.1 of Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle,
3 x 5.1's of Queen's ANATO,
2 x 5.1 mixes of Layla,
2 x 5.1 mixes of The Who's Tommy..

..with..

a Quad and 2 x 5.1's of Clapton's 461 OB,
2 x 5.1's of ELP's BSS,
2 x 5.1's of Yes' Fragile

..all on the horizon..

..and meantime, there are many albums long remixed into 5.1 that still haven't been released and scores more deserving of at least one surround remix that have never and likely will never see a 5.1 remix.

It is indeed, madness.

There are evergreen titles that always get first attention whenever there's a new format. I think this is a combination of a few things: availability of elements (either final mixes or multitracks), popularity of the title/number of units that might be sold, and how easily/cheaply the artist will OK remixes and reissues. Any one of these hurdles could scupper a proposed release, which I think is why you tend to see the same titles over and over again - you can bet that the reason Sony reissues Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue in every new format that comes isn't just because it's the only jazz recording they have in their vault!

I just got the single High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc version...

Interestingly it says "Disc 3" on the disc itself... :mad:@:

I just got the single High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc version...

Interestingly it says "Disc 3" on the disc itself... :mad:@:

Rather than create another pressing, someone thought it better to run extra copies of disc 3 of the "super deluxe" set. Makes sense, I guess? :)

Nope! There is not less compression than Blu-Ray.
It seems when watching the files, that dynmaics are the same and the DVD-A is raised to 0 db.
The mch DVDA mix is more compressed than the BDA (DR11 vs DR15). The dynamic range of the BDA mch mix is extraordinary.

I really liked this BluRay. For some reason it works for me. The mix seems more discreet, cleaner, and clearer than the DVDA/SACD. Having the drums mainly in the back left wasn't irritating me (but I've only listened once or twice) Over all, an enjoyable mix.

Been listening to this disc for a couple of weeks. Today I threw on the dvd-a just after listening to the BD. All I can say is that if you are a fan of this album get the BD. Probably the main thing I like about it is that now I can clearly hear what Townsend is doing with the guitar. The tone; the way he is striking, the volume changes, etc. It's all so fascinating.

I still don't get why they mixed it the way they did. Thankfully it is discrete but it just seems like they could have done better. Regardless I get a lot of enjoyment listening to this disc. It is a wonderful upgrade from the dvd-a. Full marks for content and fidelity; for me it is an 8.

There's no question in my mind that the channel layout is not what was intended.. Listened as is and then swapped the Ls with the Fr - sounds way better with the channels swapped..

Really like the mix overall and sound clarity...this will be the version I play from now on..

Very happy they offered a BD version only..otherwise I may not have bothered getting it..

Hi All,

I gave this a 10. Some folks are suggesting that the track assignments are wrong. I am not convinced of this one way or another. If they genuinely screwed up than the rating should go to 9, but I am saying that the sonics are excellent, the mix is very interesting (if unconventional), and the music is excellent. You can read my complete review here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...31-Tommy-again&p=196836&viewfull=1#post196836

Ken

Hi All,

I gave this a 10. Some folks are suggesting that the track assignments are wrong. I am not convinced of this one way or another. If they genuinely screwed up than the rating should go to 9, but I am saying that the sonics are excellent, the mix is very interesting (if unconventional), and the music is excellent. You can read my complete review here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...31-Tommy-again&p=196836&viewfull=1#post196836

Ken

This is encouraging Ken. Mine has not arrived yet and the idea that the channel assignments are screwed up would drive me crazy. So, like you, I am hoping I can listen and enjoy without feeling like the channels are swapped.

Well, I received this today and have been listening to it. Hmmmm.... I was hopeful that the channel assignment that several people have complained about would not bother me, but truth be told, it's bugging the hell out of me. The most distracting thing is the drums in the left rear! It's not so bad when there is plenty of activity in the right rear, but often times Keith Moon is banging away on those drums in that back rear corner without a lot going on in the other channels and it is really distracting. I guess the thing is there shouldn't be any particular part of the mix that stands out and draws your attention away from the song as a whole. For me, I can't stop hearing those drums in the rear corner! I will have to track down one of the other mixes and see what they did with those drums because if this isn't a mistake, it is a very odd choice. And as others have mentioned as well, wtf? with the mix at the beginning of Pinball Wizard? Guitars on the right side only? Seems like it would have been far more effective to have that guitar that starts the song in the rear right assigned to the left front. It just makes for a very lopsided mix to have the guitars on the right front and rear. These problems don't impact all of the songs, but for those it does effect it is super distracting and annoying.
The recording does sound good and it's super discrete. No issues there. I just have problems with the decision making that went into assigning particular instruments to channels.
I'm going to give this one a 7 because of the distracting mix.

TL;DR. I don't care about the supposed benefits of Blu Ray. My interest is, is this mix and mastering any different from the original Tommy DVD-A/SACD from years back?

You really couldn't be bothered to skim a page and a half of a thread (which is full of exactly the information you're looking for) to find what you want? Why would someone volunteer to do it for you?

TL;DR You're obnoxious.

You really couldn't be bothered to skim a page and a half of a thread (which is full of exactly the information you're looking for) to find what you want? Why would someone volunteer to do it for you?

TL;DR You're obnoxious.

That was a pretty stupid post, I have to agree. Judging from his post count, he's been around a while here and should know better. (n)

Well, I received this today and have been listening to it. Hmmmm.... I was hopeful that the channel assignment that several people have complained about would not bother me, but truth be told, it's bugging the hell out of me. The most distracting thing is the drums in the left rear! It's not so bad when there is plenty of activity in the right rear, but often times Keith Moon is banging away on those drums in that back rear corner without a lot going on in the other channels and it is really distracting. I guess the thing is there shouldn't be any particular part of the mix that stands out and draws your attention away from the song as a whole. For me, I can't stop hearing those drums in the rear corner! I will have to track down one of the other mixes and see what they did with those drums because if this isn't a mistake, it is a very odd choice. And as others have mentioned as well, wtf? with the mix at the beginning of Pinball Wizard? Guitars on the right side only? Seems like it would have been far more effective to have that guitar that starts the song in the rear right assigned to the left front. It just makes for a very lopsided mix to have the guitars on the right front and rear. These problems don't impact all of the songs, but for those it does effect it is super distracting and annoying.
The recording does sound good and it's super discrete. No issues there. I just have problems with the decision making that went into assigning particular instruments to channels.
I'm going to give this one a 7 because of the distracting mix.

Just reach in back of your avr, and switch the speaker lines from Front to back and back to front. Too bad the avr's are not capable of reversing the channels?

TL;DR You're obnoxious.

And you couldn't be bothered to write a simple 'Yes' or 'No'. You'd rather shake your fist at clouds.

That was a pretty stupid post, I have to agree. Judging from his post count, he's been around a while here and should know better. (n)

It's because I have been around long enough that I do know better, so that when pressed for time I'll ask a direct question that has a simple answer, rather than read through a couple of dozen posts which (experience suggests) have as good a chance of being about "MY ORDER JUST SHIPPED! AWESOME!', people arguing about correct channel configurations, or complaints from people with obviously mis-configured setups, as about the nugget of info I'm after.

Back