HiRez Poll Who, The - TOMMY (2013 Mix) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
It is hard for me to get used to Moon in the left rear on the new mix, but the sound quality is so good.

It is hard for me to get used to Moon in the left rear on the new mix, but the sound quality is so good.

OK, I'm getting confused. New mix? Or the same mix that was in place when this poll was created? 2004....
I need to buy this as I don't have it and if there are 2 versions floating around with different mixed I need to be sure to get the correct one.

OK, I'm getting confused. New mix? Or the same mix that was in place when this poll was created? 2004....
I need to buy this as I don't have it and if there are 2 versions floating around with different mixed I need to be sure to get the correct one.

afaik Gene.. SACD & DVD-A = same (apart from the DVD has video interview with Townshend, rather a good one iirc).. Blu-ray Audio = different mix and mastering, pretty sure there's some thread(s) on it at QQ?

err.. what was the question again? lot of beer tonight.. oops :eek:

How are the mixes different?

It's been a while since I have listened to both of them, so I can't comment on specifics, but the difference is essentially this:

The 2013 Blu-Ray Mix is more like an old school 70s Quad mix with certain instruments largely isolated in certain channels, while the 2003 DVDA/SACD mix is more of a blended but still discrete mix. (If any of that makes any sense to you…)
Also, the 2013 Blu-Ray mix is mastered more dynamically than the 2003 releases.

Excellent fidelity; Timeless content; I love the mix (ultra discrete, classic "quad" mix)... I give it a 9 as is, but would give it a 10 after rotating the corner channels one channel clockwise (resulting in drums LF, bass RF, guitars/keyboards/horns in rears, vocals variable).

Believe it or not, I've never listened to this album from beginning to end, until now. Have always loved Who's Next, but thought this whole rock opera was pretentious. Boy was I wrong. Maybe it's the surround mix, but holy cow, I just love it. The track Underture is orgasmic! Can't compare to sacd/dvda, but OMG what have I been missing! 10 for surround mix, 10 for fidelity, and 10 for content. Demo quality for sure.

Believe it or not, I've never listened to this album from beginning to end, until now. Have always loved Who's Next, but thought this whole rock opera was pretentious. Boy was I wrong. Maybe it's the surround mix, but holy cow, I just love it. The track Underture is orgasmic! Can't compare to sacd/dvda, but OMG what have I been missing!
Tommy
10 for surround mix, 10 for fidelity, and 10 for content. Demo quality for sure.
Just don't bend down in front of Uncle Ernie.
Fiddle about, Fiddle about....

I skimmed all 5 pages of this thread and did not see my question addressed. Is the new blu ray mix as dry as the DVD-A mix? The lack of reverb in the DVD-A mix bothered me, as it didn't sound like the "Tommy" I know and love.

I am listening to all my MCH discs in alphabetical order during COVID. I changed my input from HDMI to analog and the presentation is much smoother. Drums included. 10 vote for me!

So I gave it an 8. The sound is fine - clear and immersive. The music, of course, is tremendous and the box set is divine. The booklet contains more writing about Tommy then you'll ever see anywhere else and the compilation of live performances that make up the live disc is excellent. But back to the 5.1 mix, I dunno, I've yet to hear Townshend's earlier attempt, but this one somehow doesn't send me to ear-tastic bliss like I want it to. It's a perfectly serviceable surround sound experience but not perfect by any means. I don't seem to be able to articulate it any better than that.

So I gave it an 8. The sound is fine - clear and immersive. The music, of course, is tremendous and the box set is divine. The booklet contains more writing about Tommy then you'll ever see anywhere else and the compilation of live performances that make up the live disc is excellent. But back to the 5.1 mix, I dunno, I've yet to hear Townshend's earlier attempt, but this one somehow doesn't send me to ear-tastic bliss like I want it to. It's a perfectly serviceable surround sound experience but not perfect by any means. I don't seem to be able to articulate it any better than that.

The placement of Moon's kit is strange but the overall sound quality is amazing.

I skimmed all 5 pages of this thread and did not see my question addressed. Is the new blu ray mix as dry as the DVD-A mix? The lack of reverb in the DVD-A mix bothered me, as it didn't sound like the "Tommy" I know and love.

In this 2013 Blu-ray mix, the Daltrey's voice has again reverberation, similar as previous stereo editions that we love. Perhaps Townshend's deafness kept him from appealing the result of his 2004 multichannel mix for the DVD-A

But, as said, this 'quad mix 70's style' with the Moon's drums all the time at left surround overwhelms me a lot.

In this 2013 Blu-ray mix, the Daltrey's voice has again reverberation, similar as previous stereo editions that we love. Perhaps Townshend's deafness kept him from appealing the result of his 2004 multichannel mix for the DVD-A

But, as said, this 'quad mix 70's style' with the Moon's drums all the time at left surround overwhelms me a lot.

I'm still not convinced that there isn't a channel assignment error. If you switch front right with rear left, the instrument locations exactly mirror those of the original stereo mix. For instance, "Pinball Wizard" starts with the acoustic on the right and then the electric comes in on the left. Another example would be "The Acid Queen" starting with the electric guitar on the left. Perhaps the biggest giveaway is that Moon's drums are always panned to the right on the original stereo mix and in Townshend's 5.1 mix, yet this mix places them on the left.

I gave it a 10. Just compared it with the 2003 5.1 mix and prefer the blu ray because there is more separation and because the drums sound better. i think they sound more powerful and it doesn't bother me at all that they are only coming out of the rear L speaker.

I was a freshman in High School when a friend offered me her Gatefold LP of Tommy. It sure feels good to hold this package and fall into all the iconic artwork that took me on my first musical journey. The blu-ray 5.1 was immersive. Sound quality is clear. Enjoyed the discreet sound effects. EQ was balanced front to back. Excellent dynamic range. Excellent tonal balance. Keith Moon's drumming has a lot of presence. =)
IMG-4433.jpg

Back