HiRez Poll Who, The - TOMMY (2013 Mix) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
My interest is, is this mix and mastering any different from the original Tommy DVD-A/SACD from years back?

The mix is definitely VERY different from the earlier mixes. Mixed opinions on whether it's better or worse.

The mix is basically an amateur show. LS and RF overpower RS and LF. I played around with the channel levels to try to get some sort of balance but it still seems "off".
No. FL + SL overpower FR + SR.

The channel re-assignment recommended by Fredblue works for me. FL -> FR, SL-> FL, FR -> SR, SR -> SL. Or another option is to change FR <--> SL as Ssully hinted.

I will wait until I'm listening on my proper setup to vote and give a more thorough review, but I just received the set for Christmas, and while the 5.1 mix certainly is different compared to the original SACD, I like it!
I told HFPA on their Facebook that if they do more discs like this, I'm all in! :)

Great article on the Tommy Super Deluxe Edition in the Feb/March Sound & Vision. Specifically, the author talks about the Tommy Blu-ray being a revelation of breadth and precision. Talks about the mix placing you with Daltry in the middle of band and becoming Tommy (therefore the drums emanating from the left surround making sense.

Great article on the Tommy Super Deluxe Edition in the Feb/March Sound & Vision. Specifically, the author talks about the Tommy Blu-ray being a revelation of breadth and precision. Talks about the mix placing you with Daltry in the middle of band and becoming Tommy (therefore the drums emanating from the left surround making sense.

Don't suppose there is an online version of this article?

Older issues are available online, but since this just came out I wasn't able to find it anywhere. My hard copy came yesterday.

I guess this closes the discussions about the correctness of the 5.1 mix as it seems it was done on purpose.
What can be said... Maybe a good an innovative idea but the result from my point of view is, saying it softly, a bit weak.
Looking at the bright side, at least the stereo mix is worthy

Just because a reviewer manages to justify the mix with his own subjective interpretation does not mean it was done intentionally. Or did the reviewer talk to the people that did the mix?

I guess this closes the discussions about the correctness of the 5.1 mix as it seems it was done on purpose.
What can be said... Maybe a good an innovative idea but the result from my point of view is, saying it softly, a bit weak.
Looking at the bright side, at least the stereo mix is worthy

Just because a reviewer manages to justify the mix with his own subjective interpretation does not mean it was done intentionally. Or did the reviewer talk to the people that did the mix?

That's a very good point. I take it that nobody's had any luck getting an answer from those involved in this project? I find that odd. If it was me I'd be all too willing to discuss a project I worked hard on to a fan.

That's a very good point. I take it that nobody's had any luck getting an answer from those involved in this project? I find that odd. If it was me I'd be all too willing to discuss a project I worked hard on to a fan.

I contacted Universal and got a stock response telling me that the final master was 'Artist Approved' and therefore what we hear is as it should be.

I contacted FX Mastering, where Bob Pridden and Richard Whittaker created the 5.1 mix, and have heard diddley squat :(

Back