Steven Wilson ELP - Live Material in Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I understand that you have moved on and that Jakko is now wrapping up the mixing on ELP's Trilogy + Brain Salad Surgery. I believe a number of surround fans like me were also hoping the live material released as Pictures At An Exhibition and the Welcome Back My Friends package would be given the same surround treatment. Were these albums not part of the original ELP catalogue re-issue campaign?

As a quick sidebar, Welcome Back My Friends was actually released on Q8 tapes in 1974 (pitch flaws on every copy). It then appeared on the Rhino DVD-Audio new releases list in 2003, then quickly disappeared from view. Would be great if SONY was committed and someone was willing to mix it. A lot of grateful ELP quad fans would certainly rejoice. :)

I understand that you have moved on and that Jakko is now wrapping up the mixing on ELP's Trilogy + Brain Salad Surgery. I believe a number of surround fans like me were also hoping the live material released as Pictures At An Exhibition and the Welcome Back My Friends package would be given the same surround treatment. Were these albums not part of the original ELP catalogue re-issue campaign?

As a quick sidebar, Welcome Back My Friends was actually released on Q8 tapes in 1974 (pitch flaws on every copy). It then appeared on the Rhino DVD-Audio new releases list in 2003, then quickly disappeared from view. Would be great if SONY was committed and someone was willing to mix it. A lot of grateful ELP quad fans would certainly rejoice. :)

I'm afraid I can't help much with this. I'm not familiar with the albums you mention, and can't really count myself much of an ELP fan (though I really like Keith Emerson's hammond organ playing), which is why I felt I couldn't really continue and honestly felt a bit of a fraud doing those first 2! But at my recommendation the project is now in the very capable hands of Jakko, so fingers crossed Sony will continue the series to include the albums you mention.

Back