3 Channel Stereo SACDs from RCA Living Stereo Catalog

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first two Hybrid Multichannel SACDs with 3-Channel Stereo on the Surround SACD track are In Stock & Now Shipping starting today according to Acoustic Sounds for $30 each.

RCA 3 Channel SACD.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...orsakov_Scheherazade-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...e__Fountains_of_Rome-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

That Rimsky-Korsakov number is still in FYE stores here locally. The one on Sony/BMG. Funny how they put the common ones out first.

The originals have the 3 track mix also. As for the new releases, La Mer (25:14) is missing from the Pines/Fountains title and Song Of The Nightingale (22:17) is missing from the Rimsky-Korsakov resulting in rather short-playing SACDs between 40 and 45 minutes apiece.

Respighi: Pines & Fountains - Reiner/Chicago is considered one of the best performances of those works.

Many of the Living Stereo 3 Channel recordings are classics. It will be interesting to hear from people who have the original RCA SACDs how the new ones compare.
Some of the pre-release reviewer comments say they are improved. But now the music fans will weigh in.

Upgraded how? Upgraded why? Are the 'pre-release' reviewers comparing new to old fairly? Is Jonathan Valin/TAS a credible source? :rolleyes:

Upgraded how? Upgraded why? Are the 'pre-release' reviewers comparing new to old fairly? Is Jonathan Valin/TAS a credible source? :rolleyes:

Now that the new 3 Channel SACDs are on the market, we will see what the music fans have to say.

Now that the new 3 Channel SACDs are on the market, we will see what the music fans have to say.

I'm more interested to know what the people who mastered them say. What did they do differently , technically, than was done before for these 3 channel SACDs?

while I'm certainly happy for any Living Stereo titles that were overlooked the first time round to see release now (as is happening) but all the double-dipping on SACD sticks in the craw when there's so so many things across all musical genres & eras that have yet to see any kind of Hi-Rez/surround release. we get Time Out - again.. The Doors - again.. Snorah Jones - again, Living Stereo - again.. enough! Let's have something different!

It looks like the two new RCA Living Stereo SACDs are already on the Top Sellers list for the past 30 days at Acoustic Sounds - even though they have been out for just a few days.
They continue to be in demand.

And Wish You Were Here is still #1 after all this time.

On the storewide chart (all products), a Frank Sinatra Mono SACD (Songs for Swinging Lovers) is #1, followed by the Vinyl LP of the new Scheherazade at #2 and the Stereo DSD Download of Thriller at #3.
SACD is topping the charts! (On the storewide chart, the Wish You Were Here Multichannel SACD is still doing well at #21).
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=topsellers

At #41. Slowhand on a DSD download for $25! When you could buy the SACD from Amazon (in stock) for $13.49. Strange.

Here's an initial review of the two new RCA Living Stereo 3-Channel SACDs from Analogue Productions.
A big thumbs up from David Robinson at Positive Feedback. He says in part:

My initial impressions are pretty clear: the new Analogue Productions RCA Living Stereo SACDs are definitely an improvement over the older BMG RCA SACDs. In fact, there's no doubt about it in my listening sessions. Careful comparative listening reveals that there is a better sense of space, more detail, and deeper, richer lower frequencies. The woodiness of stringed instrument bodies… the sense of reeds, brass, and percussives… are all more obvious on the new AP SACDs. The older RCA seems a somewhat recessed, procrustean, and polite by comparison. The dynamics on the APO SACD are better, of a certainty, to my ears. There's also a more nuanced sense of correct presentation of the strings...real bows on real violins. This is a remarkable accomplishment...more than I was expecting when I ordered the AP RCA Living Stereo Series (both SACD and LP), frankly. I was thinking that this would be better… but this much improvement? No, I admit that I'm pleasantly surprised!

And remember: we're getting fresh re-masterings of the three-channel source tapes, as well.

Chad Kassem and Analogue Productions are taking some of the most significant treasures from our archives of classical recording masterpieces, and are turning them into new reference-quality gems. I hope that we see the DSD downloads of this series very soon.

Extremely impressive... this is a very strong recommendation of "BUY!" to our PF readers!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue72/Scheherazade.htm

And he'll probably buy the DSD download too, when it becomes available.

he'll be 'expecting it to be better'...but he'll be 'surprised' at HOW MUCH better it sounds

You'll have to wait for that comparison. Much as the Analogue Production 3-Channel Living Stereo SACDs come out after the Vinyl editions, the DSD Downloads will be out months after the SACDs.

But there is an interesting comparison along those lines from Stereophile Editor John Atkinson. He talks about a Sony demonstration at the Newport Beach Audio Show in 2012.
Producer/Engineer Cookie Morenco of Blue Coast Music brought the Stereo SACD and Stereo DSD Downloads of an album by Emily Palen recorded Live in DSD at Grace Cathedral to compare.

Atkinson says that the Stereo DSD Download files via a Mytek DSD Converter sounded better than the SACD played via a much more expensive Meitner DSD Converter.
Some say this demo was the start of serious interest in DSD Downloads. His comments:

She demonstrated a disturbingly audible difference between one of her recordings of a solo violin in San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral played from SACD via a Meitner DAC and from the original DSD file played back via a PC running Foobar, a USB link, and the new $1000 Mytek DAC. Yes, the converters are different, but the Meitner is no sonic slouch. Even so, the file had more of a luminous halo around the solo instrument and that space was better integrated with the direct sound. Huh?!?! This isn't PCM. A DSD bitstream is a DSD bitstream is a DSD bitstream!

http://www.stereophile.com/content/cookie-marenco-dems-dsd
http://valencerecords.downloadsnow.net/glass#

Careful level matching? Blind controls? Nah. The sad thing is, John Atkinson knows better, but he still tries to pass this stuff off as dispositive.

I'll wait much, much longer for a *properly done* comparison, I'm sure.

Careful level matching? Blind controls? Nah. The sad thing is, John Atkinson knows better, but he still tries to pass this stuff off as dispositive.

I'll wait much, much longer for a *properly done* comparison, I'm sure.
It's from a Show report. All such reports, no matter how suggestive, are anecdotal and should be taken as such.

It's from a Show report. All such reports, no matter how suggestive, are anecdotal and should be taken as such.

True. I don't have either version of the music Atkinson has compared here. Maybe someone will do the type of comparison ssully is talking of someday - 3 Channel SACD vs. 3 Channel DSD Download.
Time will tell. In the meantime, certainly an interesting observation.

Back