Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I know this rumour has done the rounds before but here's a new teaser that suggests that it may get a 5.1 release after all:

http://www.progshine.net/2013/11/news-roger-waters-new-album-is-55-minutes-piece.html

Heath Check: I haven't listened to the interview yet, but the cover story clearly states:

"In the interview he speaks about many things like Syd Barrett, his father, his new album, his wife leaving him after The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973), the upcoming Amused To Death (1992) release in SACD 5.1, The Wall tour and The Wall DVD."

I know this rumour has done the rounds before but here's a new teaser that suggests that it may get a 5.1 release after all:

http://www.progshine.net/2013/11/news-roger-waters-new-album-is-55-minutes-piece.html

Heath Check: I haven't listened to the interview yet, but the cover story clearly states:

"In the interview he speaks about many things like Syd Barrett, his father, his new album, his wife leaving him after The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973), the upcoming Amused To Death (1992) release in SACD 5.1, The Wall tour and The Wall DVD."

IIRC, bmoura suggested they're taking the Q-Sound "encoding" and working some magic on it to re-present it in some sort of surround (synthesized?).. V.interesting though! Maybe, just maybe, there'll be a genuine remix (though if Guthrie's at the helm, we shouldn't expect a surround marvel..!?).

Yeah, I remember reading something similar or maybe even the same article six months or so ago and had given up hope of it being a "proper" 5.1 release, so this latest came as some surprise. Still haven't found the bit in the interview where he talks about it but I have a long car journey tomorrow so I may well download it and listen to the whole damned lot. :)

At A Fleeting Glimpse a thread about this interview is active. Luna65 is a woman close to James Guthrie. Apparently the decision for a 5.1 was taken a year ago. With this time frame, you would expect a proper 5.1 mix.

I asked her if she is allowed to confirm this. To be continued, looks very good though.

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Pink_Floyd/topic/8866647/3/

I'm still keen to hear the Qsound encoding played back via my Surround Master... :)

It is being reported that a true 5.1 mix of Amused to Death is forthcoming and will be premiered at the Princeton Pink Floyd Conference. No word on whether this will be officially released for sale but I can't imagine they would play the mix publicly and then not release it. Follow the link and scroll down a few items. Look for the text in red.

www.pinkfloydz.com

Very interesting, not to mention exciting! :) ...there'a also a link to a pre-order of what appears to be a Hybrid SACD - DSD disc on Amazon.com.

Isn't it a bit awkward to premiere a ATD at a pink Floyd's conference? It would have been much more polite to premiere The Wall in 5.1!
Jokes apart, I'm still wondering about the logic behind this release. Why would Roger or his management be more interested in releasing ATD than The Wall Live with, I guess, bigger selling potential?
In any case, this is a must buy for me, whenever it's finally released. ATD was the first new release from a PF member I was able to buy on my own, so I have fond memories of it (I was 17 at the time...)

It is being reported that a true 5.1 mix of Amused to Death is forthcoming and will be premiered at the Princeton Pink Floyd Conference. No word on whether this will be officially released for sale but I can't imagine they would play the mix publicly and then not release it. Follow the link and scroll down a few items. Look for the text in red.

www.pinkfloydz.com

Interesting. I thought they were going to reissue a remastered Amused to Death by Roger Waters as a QSound-encoded Hybrid SACD via Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions. Hmm, maybe it's both - retain the original QSound encoding on the Stereo CD and Stereo SACD tracks plus a 5.1 mix on Surround SACD tracks....

Not my favourite Roger Waters album (I prefer The Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking), but its a must if it appears in 5.1, lots of interesting things to get spread across the channels.

.....if they'd only do a 5.1 mix of Zee's "Identity"......

Not my favourite Roger Waters album (I prefer The Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking), but its a must if it appears in 5.1, lots of interesting things to get spread across the channels.

.....if they'd only do a 5.1 mix of Zee's "Identity"......

Hummm, now you mention Zee, I bought last year a Holland pressing CD. It doesn't look or sound like a fake, but I'm still wondering if it's the real stuff.

Interesting. I thought they were going to reissue a remastered Amused to Death by Roger Waters as a QSound-encoded Hybrid SACD via Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions. Hmm, maybe it's both - retain the original QSound encoding on the Stereo CD and Stereo SACD tracks plus a 5.1 mix on Surround SACD tracks....
Yep - QSound Stereo (as already stated), plus a (hopefully) discrete 5.1 mix by Mr. Guthrie.

It will be very interesting to compare the QSound via the Surrouhnd master to the Guthrie mix....:eek:

Back