Which Q8s Have Been The Hardest For You To Find?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I've been buying Q8s whenever I find them, and after 30+ years I have found a lot, although I don't find them as often now as back then. The other day, I found a couple that had eluded me until now, the Dan Fogelberg "Captured Angel" and Pure Prairie League "Two Lane Highway". I'll have to go through the discography to see which ones I still don't have, but it would be interesting to see which ones are the hardest to find.

The late Columbia's in the 34xxx series. Probably weren't many of them when new and there seem to be fewer now.

There are some B.B. King titles that definitely don't show up very often. L.A. Midnight, Guess Who, To Know you is to Love you..... I've maybe seen one or two copies of each and unfortunately, if I'm to buy a GRT title, it must be in a blue shell to match the rest. Only my Monument/GRT's are white shelled.

Some of them Romulus Quads are pretty hard to find. Those only show up on eBay from time to time. I have 12 of the 15 identified.

I've stopped actively scouring eBay for quad tapes and records for quite a few years now, but I had religiously done so weekly for a good eight to ten year run. At the time, the B.B. King's showed up infrequently, especially "To Know You is to Love You" (I'm still missing that one). The Isley Brothers' "Go for Your Guns" was hard to find, and I have yet to see proof that the Isley Brothers' "The Heat is On" even exists on any quad format.

and I have yet to see proof that the Isley Brothers' "The Heat is On" even exists on any quad format.

The Heat is On Q8 did make an appearance either late last year or early this year. It came from the Gerbino collection. In 10+ years of collecting, it's the only one I've ever seen. Same for my Johnny Taylor Q8. Only one I've ever seen and had to have. Paid a pretty penny for it. I have a sinking feeling they may have finally sold everything off from that collection as this week, they've only listed one tape.

The Heat is On Q8 did make an appearance either late last year or early this year. It came from the Gerbino collection. In 10+ years of collecting, it's the only one I've ever seen.

I'm rather pissed that I missed out on the opportunity to bid. At the same time, I'm glad to know there's hope that I might hear this mix one day. I wonder what the story is on releases such as this. "Fight the Power' was a fairly big hit on the radio when I was growing up. Why would this quad release be nearly impossible to find?

It's strange, that. It seems like the R&B/Soul acts that were on the Columbia family of labels, like the Isley Brothers on T-Neck and all the Philadelphia International Records artists (Harold Melvin, MFSB, Billy Paul and especially the O'Jays) are much, much harder to find than any of the rock and roll titles that came out around the same time. I've only heard of 2 copies of the O'Jays 'Message In The Music' in the last 10+ years, but there are other Columbia titles that are never off eBay, even some of the later ones.

Regarding The Isley Brothers 'The Heat Is On', perhaps someone who's bought tapes from the Gerbino collection could get in touch with them and see if they could put us in touch with the buyer of this tape. It's very possible that it's the only one in circulation (or existence) at the moment and I think it's important that it's preserved - if there's one tape that should be run through a Fostex machine, it's that one!

In early '74, I had all the Q8 releases I wanted until that point, over 200. At that time, I added CD-4 and a full-logic SQ decoder. So, I stopped buying Q8's. In '75, after adding Q8 (and auto reverse cassette!) to my new car, I began buying Q8's again.

Here's a rare Q8 that I bought in '76:
mJ7Q9v-igjtGAqPFMyFRM5g.jpg

I am looking for a CD-4 of this. If anyone knows of one available, kindly PM me. I've rebought Quad LP's of most titles I own on Q8 that were also pressed on Q LP's.

Quad was the only reason I got into 8-track. They sound decent if you have low-end to medium quality equipment. On a high end system, they truly reveal their limited fidelity, even on a cleaned up DVD-A transfer. Don't blame the messenger.

Anyone interested in files of any Q8, I may be able to help. Perhaps a trade.

Bringing back an old thread from the dead. Did The Heat Is On Q8 actually appear on eBay in 2013 as noted in post #5? I'm not a huge Isley fan by any means but I'm fascinated by the mystery surrounding that title- most of what I've read points to it not being released at all.

I've only been seriously into Q8 for about two years. What I've read in the archives here suggests that the "glory days" of Q8s being listed on eBay are more or less over, with most titles having been located and converted. I have yet to get a single later-era Columbia cartridge with the square end. So far the only tapes I've bought that I haven't seen listed again (yet) are Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon and Santana & McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender.

It seems like almost any rock or soul title on Columbia and subsidiary labels is rare now. Two I'd love to get, but have never seen listed are MFSB's Love Is The Message and R.E.O. Speedwagon's This Time We Mean It.

It's fun watching the previously-rare tapes get listed just as a new batch of D-V SACDs is announced. I had never seen War Of The Gods or Tale Spinnin' on Q8 until the SACD versions were released.

Bringing back an old thread from the dead. Did The Heat Is On Q8 actually appear on eBay in 2013 as noted in post #5? I'm not a huge Isley fan by any means but I'm fascinated by the mystery surrounding that title- most of what I've read points to it not being released at all.

I've only been seriously into Q8 for about two years. What I've read in the archives here suggests that the "glory days" of Q8s being listed on eBay are more or less over, with most titles having been located and converted. I have yet to get a single later-era Columbia cartridge with the square end. So far the only tapes I've bought that I haven't seen listed again (yet) are Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon and Santana & McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender.

It seems like almost any rock or soul title on Columbia and subsidiary labels is rare now. Two I'd love to get, but have never seen listed are MFSB's Love Is The Message and R.E.O. Speedwagon's This Time We Mean It.

It's fun watching the previously-rare tapes get listed just as a new batch of D-V SACDs is announced. I had never seen War Of The Gods or Tale Spinnin' on Q8 until the SACD versions were released.

i recall something that Q-Eight said to me on Facebook earlier in the year, paraphrasing but the gist was that if he had it then he didn't think it could be all that rare.

an interesting take on it and in a way i don't entirely disagree, since i have tapes of some of those mentioned here as being rare (Captured Angel, War Of The Gods, Rhymin' Simon) and I was only in the Q8 game for five minutes and got almost all of the tapes I really wanted.. so.. my point is, I can't see many of them as being any more than uncommon or htf at best.. the REO Speedwagon's are scarce but both have popped up on eBay in the last calendar year.. I think scarcer Q8s of Quads that haven't seen reissue at this point would be stuff like Funkadelic, Johnny Nash, The Miracles Love Crazy, Minnie Riperton Adventures In Paradise, Manhattans Feels So Good, Labelle Phoenix, they come up either very rarely, next to never or v.v.infrequently for sensible money.

as to why the Soul Q8 stuff is so scarce, I guess its as simple as very low production runs and very low sales meaning there were never many tapes in people's hands in the first place..? ...and 40+ years down the line for a format that's hit & miss wrt its (shall we say) "robustness" its surprising as many perfectly serviceable Q8 tapes survive to this day as they do (imho)!

what i wouldn't do to hear that Isley Heat Is On Quad, in any form though.. wow, that is the epitome of rare!!

I'm too young to have Alzheimers, and I rarely drink. I have been known to be full of shit from time to time and if I'm wrong, I'm fully able to admit I made a mistake.
It could have been "Go for your Guns" that was up for auction from the Gerbino collection. I had to re-acquaint myself with the album cover for "The Heat is On" and while it didn't make any bells go off, it did seem familiar. Maybe I'm misremembering? I can't be 100% certain now. I've never really been in the habit of saving pictures from auctions or keeping track of where all my tapes came from. All I know is I got stuff from some of the Gerbino auctions that I've never seen before or since. I also missed out on a lot of stuff from those auctions I'll never seen again!

Maybe I'm just being modest when I say "If I've got it, it can't be all that rare."

Last edited:
ah right, possible case of mistaken identity. trying to compile a case for it existing is hard but i so hope it does!

no listings on Discogs and i can't find any trace of any eBay sales or listings, no photos of a Q8 or SQ LP can be found online.

yet multiple listings come up for alternative incarnations of Heat Is On that are fairly scarce compared to the common or garden U.S. Stereo LP Kendun pressing, including Argentinian, Australian and Japanese Stereo pressings of the LP and i've found Stereo 8-tracks of the title in square CBS black carts and in red shells and even a bootleg cart popped up earlier this year, I've yet to see a cassette though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, that gives me a very faint glimmer of hope of the existence of the Quad on either Q8
or SQ.. but then nobody here has said they have the Quad and the membership here has 'everything'.. and yet other rare Quad tapes and Quad LPs have eventually surfaced including ones that were thought to be vaporware and some that nobody knew existed!

re the rarity/modesty thing, i can qualify to a certain extent why i feel the harder to find Q8 stuff's scarce rather than unobtainable since i haven't found collecting rare Q8s anywhere near as hard as finding rare SACDs.

the rarer Q8s can come at a premium but they are out there, even a really scarce tape from the same timeframe as Heat Is On ('75) like Tale Spinnin' i've seen 3 carts of that come up online in the last 2 years and only one of those tapes went up for sale after DV did their SACD of it so its not entirely due to the DV factor smoking out copies!

the other thing is (now i think of it!) i've been looking for the Heat Is On Quad long before i started dicking around with old Quad records and tapes, i was searching for a trace of the Quad years and years ago, i found evidence of all the other Isley Quads in all the forms they were supposed to come in according to Mark Anderson's site and other resources but never Heat Is On.

since getting into the old Quad LPs & tapes thing I've really ramped up the hunt.. picked up all the other Isley Quad LPs, all but Harvest For The World multiple times, including 2 x Live It Up's (one sealed), 2 x Go For Your Guns' (one sealed), a Japanese SQ of 3+3.. 2 x Live It Up Q8s have come up in the last couple of years and GFYG just now.. i've missed out on all the carts as i just won't fork out big money on them unless i'm flush/drunk at the time but still no trace of Heat Is On in either format.

people on Discogs say they own it, yet not one of them has uploaded a pic of either the SQ or Q8. i say they are mistaken and there's nothing wrong with that but it just adds fuel to the fire that i suspect it was never released, sadly. hopefully it was mixed and is held in the vaults and could be released someday, i'd loooove to hear a few tracks off that in Quad, especially "Hope You Feel Better Love" with all those guitar heroics whizzing about! owwwww!!! :rocks

ah right, possible case of mistaken identity. trying to compile a case for it existing is hard but i so hope it does!

no listings on Discogs and i can't find any trace of any eBay sales or listings, no photos of a Q8 or SQ LP can be found online.

yet multiple listings come up for alternative incarnations of Heat Is On that are fairly scarce compared to the common or garden U.S. Stereo LP Kendun pressing, including Argentinian, Australian and Japanese Stereo pressings of the LP and i've found Stereo 8-tracks of the title in square CBS black carts and in red shells and even a bootleg cart popped up earlier this year, I've yet to see a cassette though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, that gives me a very faint glimmer of hope of the existence of the Quad on either Q8
or SQ.. but then nobody here has said they have the Quad and the membership here has 'everything'.. and yet other rare Quad tapes and Quad LPs have eventually surfaced including ones that were thought to be vaporware and some that nobody knew existed!

re the rarity/modesty thing, i can qualify to a certain extent why i feel the harder to find Q8 stuff's scarce rather than unobtainable since i haven't found collecting rare Q8s anywhere near as hard as finding rare SACDs.

the rarer Q8s can come at a premium but they are out there, even a really scarce tape from the same timeframe as Heat Is On ('75) like Tale Spinnin' i've seen 3 carts of that come up online in the last 2 years and only one of those tapes went up for sale after DV did their SACD of it so its not entirely due to the DV factor smoking out copies!

the other thing is (now i think of it!) i've been looking for the Heat Is On Quad long before i started dicking around with old Quad records and tapes, i was searching for a trace of the Quad years and years ago, i found evidence of all the other Isley Quads in all the forms they were supposed to come in according to Mark Anderson's site and other resources but never Heat Is On.

since getting into the old Quad LPs & tapes thing I've really ramped up the hunt.. picked up all the other Isley Quad LPs, all but Harvest For The World multiple times, including 2 x Live It Up's (one sealed), 2 x Go For Your Guns' (one sealed), a Japanese SQ of 3+3.. 2 x Live It Up Q8s have come up in the last couple of years and GFYG just now.. i've missed out on all the carts as i just won't fork out big money on them unless i'm flush/drunk at the time but still no trace of Heat Is On in either format.

people on Discogs say they own it, yet not one of them has uploaded a pic of either the SQ or Q8. i say they are mistaken and there's nothing wrong with that but it just adds fuel to the fire that i suspect it was never released, sadly. hopefully it was mixed and is held in the vaults and could be released someday, i'd loooove to hear a few tracks off that in Quad, especially "Hope You Feel Better Love" with all those guitar heroics whizzing about! owwwww!!! :rocks

http://www.8-track-shack.com/the-isley-brothers-the-heat-is-on-p-143744.html

You know, at this point, what should be fairly common tapes are eluding me. I only need three more cartridges to complete the Warner collection.

Dionne Warwick - Then Came You
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

The last two I refuse to pay exhorbitant amounts for simply for the fact that I won`t play them very often and they are simply for me to complete the collection. So, the cheaper - the better. But Dionne Warwick used to be a fairly common tape. I think I've seen ONE this year.

I also only need three of the 34xxx series of Columbia to complete that set: Go for Your Guns, The Miracles and MusicMagic. I'm not overly concerned about Musicmagic as I have the SACD, but it's such a rare cart, I think I've only ever seen one or two pop up for auction. Go for Your Guns is appearing to be more popular than it used to be, but I haven't seen a Miracles Q8 for auction since the Gerbino auctions.

I'm STILL kicking myself because Boxing Day 2017, somebody listed BOTH Dolly Parton Q8's AND both Porter Wagoner Q8's as a FOURSOME and I was going to bid because who eBay's on Boxing Day? Well, I slept in because I'm a lazy schlepp and missed out on those tapes for $50. Hell, Bubbling Over alone usually tops $50! I think I paid $40 for my really chewed-up copy.

If you really want a stormbringer cart, i have one still sealed...

You know, at this point, what should be fairly common tapes are eluding me. I only need three more cartridges to complete the Warner collection.

Dionne Warwick - Then Came You
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

The last two I refuse to pay exhorbitant amounts for simply for the fact that I won`t play them very often and they are simply for me to complete the collection. So, the cheaper - the better. But Dionne Warwick used to be a fairly common tape. I think I've seen ONE this year.

I also only need three of the 34xxx series of Columbia to complete that set: Go for Your Guns, The Miracles and MusicMagic. I'm not overly concerned about Musicmagic as I have the SACD, but it's such a rare cart, I think I've only ever seen one or two pop up for auction. Go for Your Guns is appearing to be more popular than it used to be, but I haven't seen a Miracles Q8 for auction since the Gerbino auctions.

I'm STILL kicking myself because Boxing Day 2017, somebody listed BOTH Dolly Parton Q8's AND both Porter Wagoner Q8's as a FOURSOME and I was going to bid because who eBay's on Boxing Day? Well, I slept in because I'm a lazy schlepp and missed out on those tapes for $50. Hell, Bubbling Over alone usually tops $50! I think I paid $40 for my really chewed-up copy.
$50 for a Dolly Parton Porter Wagoner FOURSOME? I don’t know, depends on who the fourth person is. Dottie West maybe? 😂

Back