BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could just delete FredBlue's posts from the first thread and it would only be about 30 posts long... ;)

he absolutely will not put any video on any of these Blu-ray's at all and to be doubly sure plaster stickers over all of them saying "NO VIDEO CONTENT"

we don't know exactly what reason behind to not include video. could be inconsistent for blu ray quality of the video, could be something else.
at least they include surround mix and i guess to some degree they done it after being under pressure and criticism from consumers.
i think it is good sign.
selection is also good. SEBTP perhaps most famous album and should get good sales.

Sometimes I really hate the evolution of the business!

Where is my Royal Scam and my Pretzel????

i'm with you on new titles, but take a look this way.
there are many who didn't catched for some reason SACD when they was in regular retail or don't have means to
utilize such format and was reluctant to buy.
as long as re-print are offering 5.1 lossless mixes, particularly not yet obsolete/ forgotten artists, we must welcome
it, even if we already have these titles.
mixed but not printed and new mixes eventually will come if awarenes about music in surround and ease of utilize of it
will spread on wider scale among general public.

i'm with you on new titles, but take a look this way.
there are many who didn't catched for some reason SACD when they was in regular retail or don't have means to
utilize such format and was reluctant to buy.
as long as re-print are offering 5.1 lossless mixes, particularly not yet obsolete/ forgotten artists, we must welcome
it, even if we already have these titles.
mixed but not printed and new mixes eventually will come if awarenes about music in surround and ease of utilize of it
will spread on wider scale among general public.

Yes that's right, but how you get success in a new format?
Hoping there are many NEW customers, that fall into 5.1 heaven, buying a good hi-fi-sytem and the old 5.1 mixes OR many new AND old customers which will spend money on NEW 5.1 mixes.

I believe they need good sales!

Consumers will buy into something if it provides discernible benefits at reasonable prices and if it is a standard.

Look at DVD. It came into a market where people seemed reasonably happy with VHS. It cost a bit more and required a new playback machine, but when they saw the benefits (extras, bonus features, digital audio, improved picture, chaptering, longevity, portability between devices, etc.), and that every major studio was behind it, they soon bought in. Even though it took a few years to kill off VHS, DVD was the most successful platform launch ever. I had first hand experience, working in the video rental business at the time.

But the biggest element was universal adoption by hardware and software manufacturers. Every now and again, everyone agrees on a standard and everyone wins. Sure, DVD had some format competition, but none worthy of note. Everyone signed up to it, got behind it and supported it. It became a standard. Omnipresent in every home.

When hi res video emerged, we had competing formats and a single eventual winner. The fact that HD-DVD got as far as competing on shop floors meant that Blu Ray was going to take longer to bed in, but, at last, it has and is now approaching the point where the balance between it and DVD is about to tip in its favour.

When it comes to audio, the story is the same. Everyone got behind CD. It became a standard. Manufacturers of hardware and software saw above their respective parapets and we all won. So, if we are to expect a new, hi-res standard, everyone has to get behind one format. Be it Blu Ray discs, or FLAC/ALAC downloads, there has to be unity in order to achieve a successful standard. Right now, there are at least three concepts for Blu Ray audio, and HFPA is almost certainly the worse, except they have the keys to the best catalogues. This is scary. IMHO, the Pure Audio Blu Ray format seems best set up to deliver a standard that fulfils the needs of most consumers. All it needs is a major label to adopt it. Better still, it needs ALL labels to sit around a table and agree to adopt it. Both CD and DVD had manufacturer consortiums that saw all the big players in the game set aside their differences to agree a universal standard they could all benefit from.

Right now, the bulk of consumers prefer the convenience of digital downloads. Some of them (a relatively small group) can also see the benefits of hi-res, and a smaller group can see the benefit of multi-channel. But how many of them understood the benefit of 5.1 audio in movies? I'd wager not very many. But it was the standard with DVD and all of a sudden, the world and his wife (ok, maybe not so much the cable-hating wives) wanted in on 5.1 home cinemas. So we already have a decent sized installed user base for 5.1 music, especially as most of these people will have upgraded to Blu Ray. All we need to have happen is a bulk of the major labels start doing this thing right and we'll see people adopt it. Pure Audio is perfect for this as the model includes a digital download in the price of the disk (known as mShuttle). Even HFPA have begun to use Pure Audio's menu structures and layouts.

Go through history and you will find that the prevalent standards are always the ones that everyone agrees on.

MP3
CD
DVD
VHS
Compact Cassette
Windows
MIDI
Internal Combustion Engine
WiFi
AC Power

Mr Robert-Murphy is just a lone individual who (scarily) has the ability to release major titles on his flawed concept. Let us hope he sees sense, along with all the other labels, and agrees to shape and conform to a standard. Then, it'll be the quality of the content that will be the only differentiator.

Well, that's my Sunday morning ramblings out of the way ;)

I reckon if/when Warner & Sony come on board the half-baked HFPA bandwagon, as ORM has suggested in int'vws, things will get much more interesting.

I reckon if/when Warner & Sony come on board the half-baked HFPA bandwagon, as ORM has suggested in int'vws, things will get much more interesting.

Do you think they'll jump on the HFPA wagon or something like Pure Audio instead?

I agree though. The sooner they do, the sooner this whole thing might take off for the better. As it stands, it's going nowhere beyond us anoraks ;)

Do you think they'll jump on the HFPA wagon or something like Pure Audio instead?

I agree though. The sooner they do, the sooner this whole thing might take off for the better. As it stands, it's going nowhere beyond us anoraks ;)

Sony have already released a "Pure Audio" branded disc (Classical title, Requiem or some such) so possibly they'll go with that.. as for Warner who knows, all I do know is they hold as many keys to juicy stuff in the vaults as Universal so the prospect of WEA getting on board is very mouth-watering indeeeeeeed..!!!

talking of major titles and rumblings, I've heard the Guns 'n' Roses HFPA has been postponed indefinitely.

oh f****** no...

I have all their Mobile Fidelity CD's, but I want them in Blu Ray Audio!

haha.. sad to say but very true! :D

though in all fairness, I will say this.. I think the message is finally getting through to ORM/HFPA that bonus tracks and 5.1's are in demand - a must in fact, if this endeavour is to work.

so no excuses but the Marvin Gaye HFPA was put together a good while before the feedback on Facebook and elsewhere had filtered through to ORM that bonus tracks etc were expected on HFPA rather than just the original album tracks in stereo with no bonuses.

Back