BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's too bad they delayed the release of the HFPA in the States, cause I would like to hear how the Blu-Ray compares to my SACD before I enter "Yes Album" land in the next few weeks, cause once I get that one in, it will be non-stop play! :)

RE: The Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - I just went into my local store, they had the Box set with DVD, the new Vinyl and 2 CD edition but not the HFPA version... :mad: - Shame - they would have had a sale....

RE: The Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - I just went into my local store, they had the Box set with DVD, the new Vinyl and 2 CD edition but not the HFPA version... :mad: - Shame - they would have had a sale....
Isn't the HFPA an import though, and the rest domestic? That could explain it.

Isn't the HFPA an import though, and the rest domestic? That could explain it.

Everything is an "import" over here.... :D

They have all the HFPAs up to about (and including) Beck - Sea Change, but none of the ones after that like Genesis- SEBTP, Lennon - Imagine, TFF etc....

Yellow Brick Mastering info (for the first time in an HFPA!?)..

Adam, Stones "Let It Bleed" HFPA comes with a insert that also provides mastering and other info. Mastering by Bob Ludwig Gateway Mastering.

So far "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA sounds like it might be worth getting:)

Adam, Stones "Let It Bleed" HFPA comes with a insert that also provides mastering and other info. Mastering by Bob Ludwig Gateway Mastering.

So far "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA sounds like it might be worth getting:)

interesting.. so the HFPA of Let It Bleed should sound the same as the old hybrid SACD.. unless Bob Ludwig has remastered it again.. have you compared the two yet?

so far, so good, yes! if the 5.1 of GYBR sounds different/better than the SACD, I'll eat my hat! regardless, the new stereo sounds fab!

interesting.. so the HFPA of Let It Bleed should sound the same as the old hybrid SACD.. unless Bob Ludwig has remastered it again.. have you compared the two yet?

I've listened to the blu ray 4X so far and hopefully later this evening I can listen to the hybrid/ SACD and then post comments.

I've listened to the blu ray 4X so far and hopefully later this evening I can listen to the hybrid/ SACD and then post comments.
If you could compare it to the SHM SACD also, that would be great. Thanks.

so far, so good, yes! if the 5.1 of GYBR sounds different/better than the SACD, I'll eat my hat! regardless, the new stereo sounds fab!

My apologies for the delay however I have compared both releases and IMO the hybrid SACD has cleaner sound including vocals.

Consumers will buy into something if it provides discernible benefits at reasonable prices and if it is a standard.

-edit-

Go through history and you will find that the prevalent standards are always the ones that everyone agrees on.

MP3
CD
DVD
VHS
Compact Cassette
Windows
MIDI
Internal Combustion Engine
WiFi
AC Power

A/C Power? :mad:@: Dude, easy on the "way way back machine"! ;) Yes, old Tesla is still steamin about his direct current method not being adapted by JP Morgan & General Electric!

Other than that, I say you are a freaking genius. I posted a mini-rant over in the "state of quad" thread where some MacDude is trying to take over the 5.1 world! :yikes LOL

We need a single 5.1 standard, and this new PureAudio marketing baloney by Universal is a step in the right direction, I say. The current 5.1 mess has too many formats to just get wiped out in one move so I say that Universal's attempt is a positive step. This could be huge.

"High Fidelity Pure Audio uses Blu-ray technology to deliver uncompressed music. Three different sound formats are available: PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio, with minimum 24-bit/96kHz."

At least they are bringing together, DTS, Dolby and of course the standard PCM which is at the heart of digital music. I will always dig up an old Oppo to play my SACDs & DVD-Audio discs, but SACD & DVD-Audio must die for us to move on. As sad as that may make some people.

All Hail Pure Audio!

Ya know, the first eight A&M Rick Wakeman records are coming out from Universal. I think this raises the odds significantly that we may get one or two of those in 5.1. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Maybe I missed this because the thread is so large but is there a reason that the roll out of HFPA titles weren't released here as well as abroad? I mean beside the obvious - the record companies basically suck.

I think we here in the USA are thought of as downloaders. MP3 is fine. That's what they think.

A/C Power? :mad:@: Dude, easy on the "way way back machine"! ;) Yes, old Tesla is still steamin about his direct current method not being adapted by JP Morgan & General Electric!

Other than that, I say you are a freaking genius. I posted a mini-rant over in the "state of quad" thread where some MacDude is trying to take over the 5.1 world! :yikes LOL

We need a single 5.1 standard, and this new PureAudio marketing baloney by Universal is a step in the right direction, I say. The current 5.1 mess has too many formats to just get wiped out in one move so I say that Universal's attempt is a positive step. This could be huge.

"High Fidelity Pure Audio uses Blu-ray technology to deliver uncompressed music. Three different sound formats are available: PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio, with minimum 24-bit/96kHz."

At least they are bringing together, DTS, Dolby and of course the standard PCM which is at the heart of digital music. I will always dig up an old Oppo to play my SACDs & DVD-Audio discs, but SACD & DVD-Audio must die for us to move on. As sad as that may make some people.

All Hail Pure Audio!

Ya know, the first eight A&M Rick Wakeman records are coming out from Universal. I think this raises the odds significantly that we may get one or two of those in 5.1. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dude, lay off the bong tokes or the liquor. HFPA is good for what it is; which is to say they are IMHO half-assed trying to promote hidef music with very little real work or investment as proven by the fact there there is no new mixed surround material. But to say that dvda and sacd needs to die is a reach and just plain drinking the koolaid. Sorry for the candor.

Dude, lay off the bong tokes or the liquor. HFPA is good for what it is; which is to say they are IMHO half-assed trying to promote hidef music with very little real work or investment as proven by the fact there there is no new mixed surround material. But to say that dvda and sacd needs to die is a reach and just plain drinking the koolaid. Sorry for the candor.

I reckon the various formats will continue to coexist and all limp along for a while.. ;)

after all, the "deaths" of SACD & DVD-A have been incredibly slow ones and neither formats totally dead and buried just yet :)

Thanks for the link I had to go back update a buddy who asked and I'd cynically replied they'll make us buy the box to get the studio version 5.1 disc.

Very glad to be wrong and this is perhaps a good signal for future 5.1 releases!

Back