Beatles US Album Box Due 1/20/14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1976 ROCK'N'ROLL MUSIC album is also notable for having "I'm Down" in stereo for the first time anywhere (the same year, a Canadian Capitol reissue, orange label, had "This Boy" in stereo, also a first). The album, like other later Beatles comps (except perhaps 20 GREATEST HITS, the vinyl of which suffers from compression and a truncated "Hey Jude") of which arguably REEL MUSIC has the best sonics, are fun listens, though back in the day were considered 'for completists only' kind of titles (true enough). The US RARITIES was disjointed but fun, and unique for the little goodies it offered (while the UK edition wasn't nearly as interesting and with a bland cover, too).

ED :)

yes and if capitol look really hard they'll find some real gems in their vaults, like "I should have known better" in true stereo but without the harmonica stop at the beginning as found on only the USA vinyl pressing of reel music.

Are you talking about the harmonica where it sounds like someone pushed erase by accident? And there's a clean version without that erasure?

Well, it isn't an erasure. Lennon just played it differently in a different take and they used that in later stereo versions. The original mono 45 had the continuous harmonica intro. and, obviously, they used the stereo version of the original for the Reel Music LP as Christopher has indicated.

I remember that I was just floored hearing the harmonica stop version on the Beatles Again/Hey Jude LP when it came out.

Doug

Yesterday, I found a nice US copy of Rock and Roll Music w/original cover:
460x223xPicture-2-092-1024x507.jpg

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet but I was on Amazon yesterday and noticed they will be selling most of these as a single disc too. I think the only one that you can't get that will be in the box set is "The Beatles Story".

Correct. Although if you've heard THE BEATLES STORY once, that's just about all you need, since it was about as cynical an album in in its time short of the seemingly endless recycling of JFK's speeches and press conferences in the wake of the assassination. Worse, it was a 2-Lp set that could easily have fit onto one slab, since it's mostly blather and Hollyridge Strings sounds, and not much (was there any?) Beatles music. Even funnier, I think a DJ-only album on Vee-Jay, HEAR THE BEATLES TELL ALL, preceded it, and with the Ed Rudy album, probably was the impetus behind Cap's version. It sold well but died fast, as it deserved to. In other words, no way in Hades would I buy the box because TBS (heh) was exclusive to it.

on the Beatles story you get a short bit of twist and shout live from the Hollywood bowl 1964 concert ..in what i think is stereo...there was a stereo and mono version made of this silly 2 lp set....so it's really only memorable for having something from the Hollywood Bowl concert about 12 years before the whole concert was released...and of course it's the raw stereo tape,as George Martin played with the tapes before releasing them in the 1970's

Last edited:
If my memory is correct, I have copies of the original Cap rainbow label in mono and stereo, and--don't know why--an Apple stereo edition, too. Jeez, what a rube, huh? :( :mad:@: :confused:

It gets worse. My sister and I were, of course (at the time, eight and nine years old, respectively) constantly begging and cojoling our parents (and my mother in particular) for Anything Beatles...and she did break down and buy this one, but the mono edition, probably because it cost a buck less than the stereo(smart gal, she). The sad part? Well...this is probably the only original pressing of an album I still have from those days (rather than bought later), and it's the only one in any reasonable condition. I would guess that between the two of us we played any Beatles album to death and turned them into big frisbees in less than a year. THE BEATLES STORY mono? It still looked good decades later, which pretty much tells you how quickly we lost interest in that pointless valentine to the label's unexpectedly phenomenal cash cow (which originally they wanted nothing to do with, 'course). Sigh....

The 1976 ROCK'N'ROLL MUSIC album is also notable for having "I'm Down" in stereo for the first time anywhere

Nope. It was in stereo first on a Japanese EP from 1971. I had a tape of it before R&R Music was released. And that LP had a GM remix of it, not the original stereo mix (which was on the UK version of the LP, and is now on Past Masters).

Just got back from BBY. They've got all the separate disks for $13.99 except for Revolver. It's $2 less for some unknown reason. So I bought that and of course Yesterday and Today. The cardboard case has the Butcher cover. And you can paste it over if you want. I won't. These are packaged just like Japan issues. Obi, since no UPC is printed on the cardboard and the miniaturized elephant condom. And resealable packaging. That's just got to confuse customer service if someone returns one. Maybe that's why Target doesn't have them (so I've heard).

Attachments

• beat.jpg
    beat.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 217
I got my box from Amazon.ca today. Pretty nice.

The "A Hard Days Night" retains the United Artists label and graphics, which I guess is because UMe owns all of these labels these days.

The "Beatles VI" jacket is the later version, with the proper track order on the back.

"Hey Jude" is on Apple., but they used a real crappy Apple label graphic. Disappointing at best.

so a quick look and we get...a Capitol mixed bag where they put in some good stuff but also mixup some stuff ...

On a positive note, I think they took Dave Dexter out of the Beatles second album(and hopefully never to return)...Thank you girl seems like a clean stereo copy at last...but they forgot to use the USA stereo mix of I Call your name...yes they used the british stereo version.

Yesterday and Today appears to not have the mono mix of Dr Robert...either that or they chopped off the ending where John very quietly says O.K. Herb at the very end...(which is only found on the USA mono mix of the mono Yesterday and Today Lp and reel tape)

they also use the british stereo version of I'm only sleeping and not the rarer usa one.. found easily on the green apple USA issues in the 1970's (the first pressing runs in the states were fake stereo)

on the other hand they are using the USA mono version of I'm only sleeping...

and they seem to be using the USA stereo version of "we can work it out" although the lp sound was much wider and therefore much easier to detect the true stereo organ split between the left and right chanels.

No usa stereo reel music mix of I should have known better...they used the same old stereo mix on both hey jude and a hard days night...and whilst they give you the mono 2.07 version of I'll cry instead, they keep reverting to the standard 1.47 version for stereo (when a stereo one of 2.07 can be found on the hard days night laserdisc)

Beatles 65 gives a good compromise with She's a woman and I feel fine... for the stereo they use the British true stereo mixes and for the mono they give you the Dave Dexter "I like lots of echo" version....the original stereo lp's just had the echoey mono versions platered into fake stereo mode (which was bad)...

Yesterday and Today appears to not have the mono mix of Dr Robert...either that or they chopped off the ending where John very quietly says O.K. Herb at the very end...(which is only found on the USA mono mix of the mono Yesterday and Today Lp and reel tape)
So the USA stereo mix doesn't have ok herb, except on the reel to reel tape? And is it just on the original release 3 3/4 IPS tape or is it on the later Ampex 7 1/2 IPS reel also?

I never did buy Yesterday & Today on reel. Probably because the song "Yesterday" never interested me ... actually found it annoying back in the day, but I should have considered the other music on it.

it's on both the mono "Lp and reel tape" not sure which speed as my reel copy came from Dr..Ebb...

no stereo mix in the world has ok herb at the end of Dr robert only the USA mono mix does...

Back