Beatles US Album Box Due 1/20/14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y&T was a unique album if only for the three 'advance' songs from REVOLVER. These were hastily made mixes by George Martin--and mono only at that, hence the rechanneling of the '66 stereo pressing--and did not appear anywhere else at the time. Which is why the very faint but audible comment by JL can be heard only on that mix and not on the mono and stereo UK mixes to come.

ED :)

Ever the sucker, I have all those "chatter" LP's, and have listened to each once:
View attachment 12390
View attachment 12391

I've got a counterfeit of this one, supposed to be Hal Blaine bashing away on his drum kit between snippets. Pretty silly but since Vee-Jay had milked the Beatle teat far beyond imaginable, not surprising, and no worse than THE BEATLES STORY.

We got these back in the day, though I've got at least one variant of the first, with a different color label and modified cover graphics, so it may or may not be legit. The first yellow label press is, though, and it may be the cheapest looking cover work imaginable short of some regional pressings by obscure church groups I've come across over the years. That it charted nationally is still incredible, since there was no Beatle music on it, just fairly straight news reporting, if you want to call what was going on 'news.'

I also bought this later release on 2 import LP's. Later, I rebought it on CD.
View attachment 12395

And there were a few other similar examples that surfaced in the '70s, early '80s, maybe...surprising they didn't come out back in the day, but probably sold to the diehards like us, since I still have my copies, too. Play once, file away forever....

Nope. It was in stereo first on a Japanese EP from 1971. I had a tape of it before R&R Music was released. And that LP had a GM remix of it, not the original stereo mix (which was on the UK version of the LP, and is now on Past Masters).

Let me clarify, then: R&R was the first time I heard a stereo mix of "I'm Down," although how Japan snagged a stereo mix is probably as weird as Canada landing "This Boy" in stereo first (which I presume they did). You'd think UK EMI could have organized this sort of thing better, but then, I think the belated stereo for "Yes It Is" first turned up through boot channels, right?

Nope. It was in stereo first on a Japanese EP from 1971. I had a tape of it before R&R Music was released. And that LP had a GM remix of it, not the original stereo mix (which was on the UK version of the LP, and is now on Past Masters).

Even earlier (quote taken from an old SH forum post):

"Stereo mixes were made on June 18,1965 and first issued in stereo on the Japanese EP Odeon OP-4110 on December 5,1965.
From Bruce Spizer's book.."The Beatles Swan Song""

I was at Target earlier today and saw an end cap with Beatles CDs sale priced and buy two get a $5 Target gift card. Unfortunately, it wasn't the new releases, but the ones from a few years ago. What idiots (especially anyone who gets suckered into this thinking they're getting the new ones). No wonder the store is mostly empty. I was going to buy some grocery items but left.

My original Capitol swirl Mono LP (as beat as it is since I bought it in the '60s) has no cigarette.

I have very fond memories of Y&T, and I suppose most Beatle fans still do, even if the sonics weren't always great. Who cared, we were kids.

The original 1966 mono Lp (the cover mockup below is IMO what it should have been) is my fave. Mom bought that for us at a Navy Exchange for I think, $2.50? [Stereo was a buck more, so she wasn't going to go for that while having to buy groceries for a family of five on my father's paycheck).

Ah, sweet Rose...we should have had so many more hours to discuss things over your wonderful Lipton tea and the sun of the morning...

Attachments

• Beatles Y & T ORIG A.jpg
    Beatles Y & T ORIG A.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 122
Is it possible to be so underwhelmed by all this stereo mono real stereo and fake this and that. I have heard these all a million times since the first time I got a lp, it was Meet the Beatles. I was a 10-11 years old. I just do not get how anyone can listen to something for the 500th time ( or 1000th if it is the early radio cuts) 50 years later and get excited about it at all. To be worked up over the Beatle machine making more cash releasing the same crap over and over again is great if your name is Paul Ringo or assorted family members of the other 2. Is it just because corporate music today is so sad? Is this thing an investment, will it be worth more later? I kinda doubt it, Beatle software is everywhere in a zillion forms. These guys are laughing at the sheeple. My god there is lots of unreleased material that is more interesting than the same thing for the 10th time. Just seems all so silly...

Hard not to be when the suits can't figure out we would rather hear unpolished fun material, and may pay for that in many more numbers, than spendy rereleases. Be even better if they included a quad or 5.1 mix.... going to happen at some point in time for some albums. They already can do parts of many. Love to see it happen before the clock runs out. Looks like "Love" set sold over 2 million copies! I guess reality is, squabbles and lawyers may keep new and multi material from reality.

Doug[/QUOTE]

I don't listen much to the Beatles anymore either, and more besides. I mean, like Tad, I've been hearing this stuff for the past 50 years, so aside from any future 5.1 remixes, I've pretty much got it all seared in my brain. Did pull out the mono Y&T, hadn't heard it in years, just out of curiosity.

As for the endless repackagings and reissues, well, of course, if EMI and Apple Corps can continue to milk the cash cow and sell some more of the same ol' stuff, why not? Doesn't mean we have to buy in, though, and gotta admit, I don't need yet another remastering/reworking of any of 'em.

If they had any sense, they'd assemble a compilation of 5.1 mixes and see how that title would float...and if it did, it would be proof there is a viable market for it.

Coincidentally, yesterday I listened to Y&T in mono in the car. Being a bit younger than me, my boyfriend asked what it was. He's only listened to the 80's CD's with the original UK albums.

Both Ed's cover and this one were pressed as promo-only vinyl back in the day.
bupa14.jpg
View attachment 12707

Cover Ed posted above:
250687839462.jpg

it's on both the mono "Lp and reel tape" not sure which speed as my reel copy came from Dr..Ebb...

no stereo mix in the world has ok herb at the end of Dr robert only the USA mono mix does...
Some kind of needle drop reel then. So, who was Herb anyway?

Coincidentally, yesterday I listened to Y&T in mono in the car. Being a bit younger than me, my boyfriend asked what it was. He's only listened to the 80's CD's with the original UK albums.

Both Ed's cover and this one were pressed as promo-only vinyl back in the day.
View attachment 12707

Cover Ed posted above:

Hey QL: I've noticed that from time-to-time you include a hyper-linked Attachment in your posts. They never work for me. I just get an "Invalid Attachment specified" error. I am :confused:.

It's there now. Sometimes, there are problems with uploads. It's happened on both the new and old hosts. I need to reload them, and then they work.

Hey QL: I've noticed that from time-to-time you include a hyper-linked Attachment in your posts. They never work for me. I just get an "Invalid Attachment specified" error. I am :confused:.

Back