HiRez Poll Keneally, Mike & Beer for Dolphins - SLUGGO! [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins - SLUGGO!

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2013 5.1 DVD-A release from Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins on Exowax records. It is available as a 3 disc set, CD/DVD-A/DVD. (n):phones(y)

Pre-poll conversation can be found in THIS thread

Sluggo Front 600.jpg
Sluggo Back 600.jpg
Sluggo Disc 600.jpg

OK, I've had some time to live with this. What can I say. As a long time champion of this album, I'm very happy with it's sonic quality, the 5.1 mixing choices, and of course, the material itself. I do wish that "Looking for Nina" had a true discreet mix and that the faux surround mix wasn't as bright as it is, but that's my only quibble. Otherwise this is a solid 10 for me!

J. D.

Well what a FUN ride! The surround mix is really discrete without being flashy and the music is wildly all over the place! Love it! That fella can sure play guitar too! A few more plays needed before voting as always but I feel a "9" or "10" coming on, very impressed!

Reactions: GOS
Well I did not know anything about this album so this was going to be a new surround adventure and wow this album covers many different musical styles.
I made the mistake as I recieved the album right after Christmas(Dec.27) and was so excited to hear this album and one of my first opportunities was listening in the car with my wife and 2 of my kids. I am not a lyrics guy but my kids are so when first song started and had had some catchy repeating about all things 'potato', my son was singing along right away. Well some of the next songs get more into the Frank Zappa weirdness which is not bad but my kids make comments that wow Dad you sure listen to some wierd stuff. So at a certain point I turn off the disk as I can't crank it to level that I like as have kids in the back and their ears are working and if putting to volume for me they won't be very happy and this kind of music is definitely not my wife's cup of tea. Last week I really gave this album my attention and listened to this album all week in the car and the more I listened the more I started appreciating the great musicianship going on and this is a keeper, I like the album and am giving it a solid 9 score as its a great surround experience and this is a long player, alot of songs on here and really enjoying Mike K's guitar playing,piano and vocals and rest of band are very good as well. There are many fun quirky songs on here, Mike really mixes it up with some catchy stuff and he must have musical ADHD as he can go into a few different musical directions all in the same song.
Question for those that know this album is it just my disk or is this the way its supposed to happen but on song 14(I'm Afraid) the ending of the song doesn't sound right, has a split second pause like a skip on tape on last word to song, is that the way the song is supposed to end?

Here's a good review I just read on this album:

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/meet-the-mike-keneally.html

Thanks J.D. for letting us QQ's know about this surround release.

I love it. A 10, because it is a stellar 5.1 mix, so is the music.
Keneally is a wonderful musician who also is Zappa-infected.

... Yaya...once you played with him, you will never do mainstream anymore....

Zappa....I miss you soooo much. You were the last musical sorcerer!!!

:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy

The perfect word was used in the pre-poll thread: eclectic!
Gets a 9 from me.

Finally a year after this album was released it's finally in my hands.

At the beginning of this past year, Tim (timbre4) played me a few songs of the surround mix as a demonstration, and I did enjoy it, but with so many other things to order, ordering it was placed on the back burner.
Thankfully it was in an Amazon wish list and my brother bought it for me as a Christmas gift.

Was going to wait until I had a more opportune time to listen and vote, but it is what it is, a solid '9'.
Imagine throwing Zappa, XTC, Gentle Giant, and other artists in a blender, and that kinda describes the wild eclectisism of this album, which the surround mix perfectly complements.
Glad this album came out with a great DVD-A authored by Mr Neil Wilkes himself.
Highly recommended! :)

I don't know how I missed this one! I only became aware of it after RT's post. Keneally is an absolute original deserving of more recognition IMO. Some of his albums, however, can be quite long and dense and I find myself enjoying them in smaller chunks. But Sluggo is one of his most accessible yet still retains plenty of that cheerful insanity. (A good starting point for the uninitiated might be the wonderful "Wing Beat Fantastic" which features songs written with XTC's Andy Partridge.)

The surround mix is quite good and really lets you appreciate these great musicians and arrangements. The center channel is used subtly in support of lead elements. It might have been fun to have it used more discretely during some of the Zappa-esque instrumental passages, but that's a minor quibble. The sonics are good although I found some of the heavier passages a bit fatiguing. Overall this is great set and great bargain loaded with audio and video extras. A 9 for me.

PS It was nice to see the dedication to his friend, the late Kevin Gilbert. Gilbert's terrific album "Thud" has just been reissued in deluxe and vinyl formats (unfortunately no 5.1). http://kevingilbert.com

Sigh...

Well, on a whim, I went to youtube and played a couple cuts from Sluggo. whoa.... I love it...

So, ordered me a copy of the DVD-Audio.....on its way!

Odd.

Got my copy of Sluggo. It's a 3 disc set. According to the description on the back of the case...here is what I should have:

Disc 1 - CD Stereo Mix
Disc 2 - DVD Audio
Disc 3 - DVD

Eh.....so I open the case, yeah, I have 3 discs. Only, I have 2 copies of Disc 2 and a single Disc 3. What?? No Disc 1!!

What's up with that...and how could it possibly happen? I could honestly care less about Disc 1...so....guess I have 2 copies of the DVD-Audio.

I find I put this disc in my rottion more and more.

Excellent mix and tunes.

My two faves are Tranquillado and Chatfield Hotel.

There is very good use of discrete surround on this disc, job very well done.

I give it a high 9.No I changed my mind, it's a 10.

Right now (now until March 31 2018) this title can be had for 1/3 off if you use the promo code "Third Off" at checkout. By my calculation, this brings the price down from $34 to $22.67 for a 3-disc set.
Thanks for the tip. After reading the comments here and considering the price break, it's a no brainer. Ordered.. :)

Right now (now until March 31 2018) this title can be had for 1/3 off if you use the promo code "Third Off" at checkout. By my calculation, this brings the price down from $34 to $22.67 for a 3-disc set.
Thanks! I never ordered this in the past because of high shipping cost to Canada, but the sale makes up for that. Ordered! Looking forward to hearing it!

This is a great 5.1 mix of a great, funny album that repays repeated listening. You won't regret it. It doesn't have dancing bananas, but it does have potato potato potato. It's too late to apple the doctor away.

Back