HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Eric Clapton - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BDA]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 9:

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 8:

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
MY ERIC SET IS DEFECTIVE. it arrived yesterday. the blu ray is fine. BUT they sent two disc number 3 and no disc number. Now i Have to send it back to amazon for a replacement. Amazon says they will credit me, the return shipping charge.

but pissed anyway. has anybody had any problems with the box set?
Yes, but my problem was a defective bluray disc, which did not play in my Oppo. I have had a replacement from Amazon UK and it plays fine.

OK, been listening for a few days now, cranking it up and giving it the welly (ha!), and comparing with the SACD. 7 for Scheiner, 9 for the SACD.

And, just to tune my ears properly in preparation, I went back to the Climie/Guzauski SACD of Layla and compared it with the Scheiner DVD 5.1. Of course, Scheiner wins hands down, no doubt about it on that one, with just a couple of quibbles along the way... Along with his wonderful work on Steely Dan and Donald Fagen, especially Kamakiriad, his treatment of Layla is one of the reasons I love Scheiner's work.

Anyway - I can see why people appreciate the Scheiner 461. Nice use of surround, some lovely details clarified, beautiful separation in places. I definitely heard some elements that I hadn't heard properly before. And Please Be With Me is spot on perfect, and better than the version on the SACD. But as an overall experience, the SACD is the one I will be returning to more often. Especially on the faster tracks, the voice is clearer and the bass/drums just have more presence, energy and oooomph - to my ears! Scheiner's mix sounds especially muted or muffled on Motherless Children, I Shot The Sheriff, and Steady Rollin' Man. I'm glad I have both, and maybe I need to listen even more, but I have to confess to being underwhelmed and a bit disappointed by Scheiner's 461. When I listen to it, I'm too aware of listening to it, if you see what I mean. When I put on the SACD, I forget about the 'act of listening' and just really enjoy the music...

OK, been listening for a few days now, cranking it up and giving it the welly (ha!), and comparing with the SACD. 7 for Scheiner, 9 for the SACD.

And, just to tune my ears properly in preparation, I went back to the Climie/Guzauski SACD of Layla and compared it with the Scheiner DVD 5.1.
Where's the Layla mix in 5.1 by ES on the Blu Ray? I can only find Layla on disc 3 which is the stereo live recording from EC was here.

Layla mix is in the Layla Box! ;)
Sorry, I was confused by your post. I thought you were comparing the Layla track on SACD/DVD directly with the Scheiner mix of the same track on the blu ray.

And it didn't help that I forgot that there was a Scheiner mix of the Layla box.

Sorry, I was confused by your post. I thought you were comparing the Layla track on SACD/DVD directly with the Scheiner mix of the same track on the blu ray.

And it didn't help that I forgot that there was a Scheiner mix of the Layla box.

Ehhhmmm...I didn't wrote that comparison! :).
You had a good party last night?

:)

By the way, overall, this set is a stunner, absolutely. I've been able to immerse myself in it today - snow day in Boston! And I'm loving the whole thing, especially the quad mix to TOIEC, which I'm new to. Oh I hope this sort of compilation is what Jimmy Page has prepared for the upcoming Zep releases, but I doubt it.

So. I gave 8 points.
Yes, the mixes are superb, as is the content and the prize.
Unfortunately I'm not an EC lover, so that influenced my voting. :).
For EC addicts this must be a 10! :)

My review and vote is based on the 5.1 mix of 461 and the Quad mix of "There's One In Every Crowd"
It gets a 9 overall.
I prefer the mix on "Crowd" and the fidelity on 461's 5.1 mix.
The first half of 461's 5.1 mix seemed relatively tame (except for "Motherless Children"), then I got a real treat out of the rest of the mix till the end of the album.
Overall, it's definitely a better mix than the 2004 SACD and having it on Blu-Ray is a plus! (Now why couldn't Elliot's "Layla" mix be on Blu-Ray too?!)
As for "Crowd" I find it to be a much more immersive and interesting mix. I particularly love "Pretty Blue Eyes", but almost every song has a fantastic Quad mix.
This is such a great package for any EC and surround fan that you would be a fool not to pass it up! :)

I could be wrong, but I thought that "E.C. Was Here" ain't there, on the Blu that is. I believe it's on two CD's.

Hmmm... So I went back for another listen to the blu ray this evening, and when I slipped it into my oppo 103 the menu only half appeared. I can see the album cover on the right, but not the menu pictures of the album options to the left. Just a blank white box?! And I can't actually select anything - and when I press play, it just shows the red error button. yikes? Has anyone else has this issue - tips or advice welcome. Thanks!

Hmmm... So I went back for another listen to the blu ray this evening, and when I slipped it into my oppo 103 the menu only half appeared. I can see the album cover on the right, but not the menu pictures of the album options to the left. Just a blank white box?! And I can't actually select anything - and when I press play, it just shows the red error button. yikes? Has anyone else has this issue - tips or advice welcome. Thanks!

Thats how it behaves... :howl

Hit Enter rather than Play.... :eek:

Have to say that I have become entirely besotted with the quad of TOIEC. Never quite got into that album before - but loving it now. Quad is very sympathetic to the music - especially on the reggae tracks.... Wonderfully fresh, discrete, and integrated.

And also have to say I'm enjoying the discrete elements of the Scheiner mix more and more! It really may only be Motherless Children and Sheriff on which the SACD wins hands down. And the keyboards do come over with more clarity on the Scheiner mix of Sheriff...

Last edited:
Back