HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Eric Clapton - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BDA]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 9:

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 8:

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
glad you're coming round to it Cornwall and have persevered after a while discovering more great things about the mixes and such :) this is a stunning set imho (y)

I have to confess that I have mixed feelings about this one.
The ES 461 to me is streets ahead of the SACD one - much, much better.
However I am sorry to disagree about the Quads - I do not like the remaster of these very much at all. It';s got that "modern remaster" feeling for me & I am reminded of what was done to the AP Quad mix in the DSOTM immersion box compared to the raw AP mix - not as good for me. Still, I guess it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things done the same way, as nobody would ever do anything different.

I was gutted to find the promised quad of "EC Was Here" missing, and frankly appalled at the complete lack of High Rez stereo - just the same as the Layla box. I suspect this is so that the 24/96 stereo can be flogged at premium prices on HDtrax. There was certainly more than enough space to add either the EC Was Here quad, or the full content from 461/TOIEC/EC was here in 24/96 stereo.

All in all, a solid 7 from me.

I'd be intrigued to see some analysis of the waveforms for the Quads in this set, the TOIEC sounds very similar to the old DTS to me (i.e. excellent) but the 461 does sound very different and is totally pristine compared to the horrible old Quad vinyl & DTS. I doubt there ever was a Quad ECWH, just a big old balls up back when the track listing info was leaking out, I reckon. Lack of Hi-Res stereo all round is a shame I agree.. but the ES 461, oh the ES 461.. so gorgeous! I hope the last few years of stunning "new" ES surround mixes coming out of the woodwork over the last few years (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Moondance, 461..) continues this year (the Fleetwood Mac album maybe.. ;) ;)..).

I Shot The Sherriff 5.1:
05---I-Shot-The-Sheriff-5.jpg

I Shot The Sherriff Quad:
05---I-Shot-The-Sheriff-quad.jpg

The Sky Is Crying Quad:
05---The-Sky-Is-Crying.jpg

Looks to me like they're fresh transfers - not sure what to make of the band of noise at 28.8kHz on the quad transfers, but they have frequency response far beyond what a DTS CD could achieve. Some of the DTS CDs suffered from pretty heavy-handed noise reduction, perhaps that was the culprit, or perhaps the DTS encoders got better as time went on. Who knows!

Looks to me like they're fresh transfers - not sure what to make of the band of noise at 28.8kHz on the quad transfers, but they have frequency response far beyond what a DTS CD could achieve. Some of the DTS CDs suffered from pretty heavy-handed noise reduction, perhaps that was the culprit, or perhaps the DTS encoders got better as time went on. Who knows!

The noise band at 28.8KHz is the good old-fashioned biasing frequency employed on all old tape machines to "keep the pot stirred" as it were.
The actual frequency used varies from machine to machine, but is generally around 28-30KHz.

The problem IO have with the Quads here is not the cleanliness but the modern style mastering (very similar to what was done in the Immersion boxes of WYWH and DSOTM) and I just don't like the way it reduces the dynamic range & boosts the bottom end artificially. For a comparison, check the bootleg DVDA of DSOTM against the Immersion one - much more dynamic range and better sounding too (at least to my ears)
I completely agree that the DTS-CD of 461 is not up to scratch (must check against the Q8) but what I would have really, truly liked to hear are the un-tampered with Quad mixes.

The ES 5.1 is seriously to die for good though, and absolutely destroys the Mick Guzauski effort on the SACD for me (kinda like the "Layla" mix) and makes me wonder what the label guys who rejected both mixes had been smoking.....

The ES mix is stellar and wipes the the floor with the SACD.

The Quad mixes are not so my Cup of tea. Ok but not overwhelming...They had put the Layla-Mix of ES instead of the Quad Mixes.

Finally a 9.

What do you think the chances are that UM will eventually release the BR as part of their Pure Audio series? I don't care about any of the other discs in this set nor do I want to pay $60 for it plus I've already got the 2 dts disc and the SACD. I guess the fact that they didn't release Layla w/Elliot's mix might be a bad sign.

What do you think the chances are that UM will eventually release the BR as part of their Pure Audio series? I don't care about any of the other discs in this set nor do I want to pay $60 for it plus I've already got the 2 dts disc and the SACD. I guess the fact that they didn't release Layla w/Elliot's mix might be a bad sign.

anything is possible, though if UMG were to release it separately it'd cause quite a stir as the first HFPA to be only 5.1 (as there's no stereo on the Blu-ray in this package, only surround!) :yikes and as we know so far HFPA's been known to omit 5.1 on many titles that were previously released in 5.1 so we shall see..

Three quality surround mixes for around $50 equals a ten in my book. Never got into TOIEC on dts cd but this release plus a rear speaker upgrade equals awesomeness.

Three quality surround mixes for around $50 equals a ten in my book. Never got into TOIEC on dts cd but this release plus a rear speaker upgrade equals awesomeness.

Where did you find it for that fine price?!?

Where did you find it for that fine price?!?

Looks to be closer to $60 now, the link I posted was the vinyl I think. Having trouble multitasking this afternoon!

25 new from $50.17 on Amazon...

I order this two weeks ago from Costco ca. It went out of stock after I order but now appears to be back in stock. For you fellow Canadians great price at 49.97 plus tax. Free shipping no membership required for online orders.

Have not voted yet but like what I am hearing.

I order this two weeks ago from Costco ca. It went out of stock after I order but now appears to be back in stock. For you fellow Canadians great price at 49.97 plus tax. Free shipping no membership required for online orders.

Have not voted yet but like what I am hearing.

Lots to like on this one for sure!

Just ordered from Costco.ca. Looks like a real nice package. I have the Sacd of Oceans but I always wanted There's one in every crowd but did not want to pay the ridiculous prices. This is pure bonus.

Just ordered from Costco.ca. Looks like a real nice package. I have the Sacd of Oceans but I always wanted There's one in every crowd but did not want to pay the ridiculous prices. This is pure bonus.

I'm not sure if you know this...but...even though you have the Ocean SACD....this one will be different...because Elliot Scheiner did the mix on the box set version:)

Can you post a link please? I looked at costco.ca and it isn't listed in the music section. Thanks, Matthew

I'm a Costco member in the US and they don't list it....could you provide a link to the item on the Canada Costco..

Yes I knew that from all the posts. I played the sacd and it’s quite tame. Certainly looking forward to ES mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it is out of stock again. The item number is 1077015. Keep on checking the site. It went out of stock when I ordered it two weeks ago. Then was back in stock when I browsed the music section 2 days ago.

I've listened to all the quads and 5.1 disc over time and am quite pleased with this presentation.

Would really like to know if and or why "E.C. WAS HERE " was not included if the quad exists. The stereo discs are very good of that Clapton Live Event. Would be nice to get ahold of that in QUAD .

Back