Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suffolk David

From the Genesis-news website:

Genesis albums to be released on Pure Audio Blu-ray

Pure Audio High resolution Blu-rays of all albums

In 2007 and 2008, all Genesis albums were released on Hybrid-SACD in High Resolution 5.1 Surround and Stereo Sound, including a bonus-DVD which contained visual bonus material plus the album in DOlby Digital 5.1 and dts Surround sound. In North America, no SACDs were released, but CD/DVD sets. You can find more information about that here.
Some of the titles are becoming unavailable (or, in case of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, have not been available separately in High Resolution Surround Sound). In 2014, Universal will rerelease all Genesis albums on the Pure Audio Blu-ray format. Each Blu-ray will contain the music only, there are no visual extras.

Pure Audio Blu-ray vs. SACD - what's the difference?
From the technical point of view, the Pure Audio Blu-ray is a normal Blu-ray, so it can be played on all Blu-ray players. Nevertheless, it can be played as a CD, which means you do not have to use your television to enjoy the disc or browse through menues before you can start the music. The music comes in lossless audio formats called DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD with a maximum of 24bit/192kHz sampling rate with up to 6 channels (5.1). In contrast to the SACD and DVD-Audio formats, also 7.1 would be possible (in theory, the Genesis albums were mixed in 5.1 anyway). So, in comparison to the SACD, the Pure Audio Blu-ray allows higher resolution, which will nevertheless not produce an audible increase in quality, since the Genesis SACD masters are already top level. A big advantage of the new format is the higher capacity of the discs.

It can be assumed that The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and the double Live-albums will be released on one disc. Whether or not the slideshow will be included on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (which would be possible from the technical point of view) is unclear at the moment, but this issue has been addressed by us already.
In a nutshell: The new format is a chance to enjoy the high resolution versions of all albums, yet it won't reveal more than the SACD/CD-sets. In fact, there won't be any visual content. So it's mainly a way to make the albums available again in 5.1 Surround.
The first release will be Selling England by The Pound in January. We will provide a list with release dates for all the albums and further news about that topic soon.

Yeah, I saw the pre order for SEBTP the other week. I missed out on collecting all of the SACD/DVD box set releases and have picked seven of the individual titles up as and when they appear for reasonable money. I will continue to do this as they represent far better value for money as they include the additional video content.

However, it is nice to see them getting re-released on HFPA, even though they've managed to cock up most of their releases, bar one or two. Let's hope they don't do the same with the Genesis catalogue.

Also, nice to see a fellow QQ'er from Suffolk :)

Also, nice to see a fellow QQ'er from Suffolk :)[/QUOTE]

Likewise :)

I've done the same, usually buying them via eBay although the cheapest one I got was from Out of Time records in Ipswich a year or so ago (We can't Dance SACD/DVD for £7 new .... great price, shame about the music). The Lamb has always been elusive though.

Likewise :)

I've done the same, usually buying them via eBay although the cheapest one I got was from Out of Time records in Ipswich a year or so ago (We can't Dance SACD/DVD for £7 new .... great price, shame about the music). The Lamb has always been elusive though.

Out of Time! Is that place still there? I'm only 15 miles from Ipswich but hate going shopping there.

Over the years, I've acquired Foxtrot, And Then There Were Three, Duke, Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance. Every now and again, I get tempted to just stump up and buy a box set for stupid money but thankfully, my brain re-engages and sanity prevails! ;)

It's just a shame that Universal and their HFPA program refuse to put the additional content on these discs. For the same price as the Blu Ray, you can pick up the SACD/DVD versions of most of these albums on eBay, and most of them will be new, sealed product. As has been mentioned in the past, it's nothing more than a cash grab disguised in the Emperor's new clothes :rolleyes:

Okay I will begin to take this format seriously as this is a big sign of commitment. I own all of the box sets and one is PAL video DVDs I must play on a universal (cough hacked cough) player.

My gut feeling is that depending on the state of the masters and processes these will sound better than the SACDs do.

Now if we could get BD players into cars. I think Audiovox offered one overpriced offing so far.

I hope the next release in the series (hopefully in either February or March) is "We Can't Dance", followed by "Foxtrot".
Both of those surround mixes are excellent, and the Dynamic Range on both of those represent the best in the series.

It would be nice if the Live over Europe is released in blu ray so that we can enjoy the HD video this time. I didn't buy the live box set, so I might get the Seconds Out disc in blu ray this time.

Being able to buy Genesis in lossless surround at a reasonable price is going to be great. Looking forward to this.

Also it is another little nudge that people who are not into surround may feel and wonder "what's that all about?".

I really hope they do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with the slideshow. It wouldn't be a High fidelity Pure Audio disc though would it?

wondering will they includes in re-issue the live set which never saw the light in lossless surround?
i definitely will buy "Second Out" if so. for all other? i was lucky to snap last 1970 - 1975 box.
all other i got as separate set for each album SACD/DVD except 1983 and last one. will wait for reviews
and if the sound on BD-As turned to be better, most likely will re-purchase. don't care about video part,
frankly never watched any off available with SACDs. perhaps due lack of time but most likely not really much TV person.

I really hope they do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with the slideshow. It wouldn't be a High fidelity Pure Audio disc though would it?

No this won't happen (even though it should) because they've pretty much established that HFPA is an audio-only format.
I wish these reissues would be CD/Blu-Ray combo packs like the recent XTC & Yes releases. THAT is the way to do it, cause that way everyone can enjoy all of the wonderful video extras that Genesis offered to us.
But I will get all of these on HFPA because I love the Blu-Ray format and I love Genesis! :)

Back