Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you've seen these Dynamic Range readings for the (mostly) 2007 remastered SACDs but it's bloody awful and confirms many members review comments on the various Genesis poll threads. I'm not holding out much hope for better results on the HFPA disc (probably same master):

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=Genesis&search_album=SACD

Most of the DR Readings listed though are for the stereo mix masterings, which are horrible (overall). The 5.1 mixes definitely have a little more dynamic range than their stereo counterparts and most on here like the way many of the surround mixes sound, so LISTEN before you make any judgments…

I can tell you for a fact that the 1970-1975 albums are the best, followed by the 1983-1998 albums. The 1976-1982 remixes sound the worst, even though "A Trick of the Tail" is one of my favorites.

This looks pretty much like the same master for Selling England by the Pound...

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Analyzed folder: /Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Genesis/Selling England by the Pound (Blu-ray)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 DR		Peak		RMS		Filename

DR9		-0.03 dB 	-13.09 dB 	01 Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.m4a
 DR9		-0.02 dB 	-11.57 dB 	02 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe).m4a
 DR9		-0.02 dB 	-12.35 dB 	03 Firth of Fifth.m4a
 DR12		-0.06 dB 	-17.20 dB 	04 More Fool Me.m4a
 DR10		-0.02 dB 	-12.60 dB 	05 The Battle of Epping Forest.m4a
 DR10		-0.03 dB 	-14.03 dB 	06 After the Ordeal.m4a
 DR8		-0.03 dB 	-11.49 dB 	07 The Cinema Show.m4a
 DR12		-0.18 dB 	-16.74 dB 	08 Aisle of Plenty.m4a

Number of files:	8
 Official DR value:	DR10

==============================================================================================

I have the Selling England By The Pound Blu Ray and the 5.1 mix sounds very good indeed.

I've never had an issue with any of the Genesis 5.1 mixes on SACD. Those that I own (Foxtrot, And Then There Were Three, Abacab, Duke, Genesis, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance) have always sounded very good in 5.1. To be honest, I've rarely, if ever, played the stereo versions.

I have the Selling England By The Pound Blu Ray and the 5.1 mix sounds very good indeed.

I've never had an issue with any of the Genesis 5.1 mixes on SACD. Those that I own (Foxtrot, And Then There Were Three, Abacab, Duke, Genesis, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance) have always sounded very good in 5.1. To be honest, I've rarely, if ever, played the stereo versions.

Blimey Laddie!

Why don't you have?

Selling England By the Pound
The Lamb
Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering

@the group:

I have the first two SACD box sets and I LOVE all the 5.1 mixes. I haven't even played the 2.0 mixes. I still have all the original Genesis CDs and then the remasterings. I enjoy the 5.1 so much, it fills my listening room amazingly well. I can't imagine downgrading to 2.0 channels....:mad:@:

Blimey Laddie!

Why don't you have?

Selling England By the Pound
The Lamb
Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering

I do have SEBTP, on Blu Ray.

Why not the others? Because I was a fool who (rightly) decided that I couldn't afford to pull the trigger on the box sets when they were released. I was pretty broke at the time and could not justify it. Yes, I kick myself now. I picked up individual discs when I could, a practice I continue to this day when they can be found at sensible prices. This might be something more affordably rectified if they continue to reissue them on Blu Ray.

I have all Genesis' albums in stereo, however. This will suffice until I can acquire their 5.1 counterparts.

Although not regarded as a classic Genesis album, I really enjoy Calling All Stations and Amazon UK currently have the SACD/DVD for around a tenner..... One to add to your collection maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, newbie checking in. I really hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere and I have to go sit in the corner. I love the slideshow too, and the surround experience just is a pure joy. I couldn't wait, huge anticipation when this was first announced, I had to get both the PAL and NTSC box for this volume only so I could have access to the SACD's. My only gripe on the DVD is that the "title" of the track displays while the song is playing - and I've tried every button I can think of to make it go away (help! Both my Oppo players). It seems part of the production. I hope they remove that if they indeed do release a bluray version of this as stated on their website: http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Genesis-albums-to-be-released-on-Pure-Audio-Bluray-n385.html

I picked up this new Pure Audio Blu Ray SEBTP from Amazon France, and can't say that the mix sounds any different, but I much prefer the simple auto play menu and track selection display. They mentioned that their won't be any visuals on SEBTP but there are in the form of this static interactive a/v menu. But to be able to just pop it in and let it play (but still easily control) is nice. High-res 5.1 Dolby HD Master 24/96 and 5.1 PCM 24/96. Also 2.0 mixes in the same eoncoding formats. Let's see... how many times have I bought these two albums (and the rest of the early catalog). I'd do it all over. I still have the promo "gatefold story" set on seats before the shows. Same PG story, but a keepsake for me.

The Genesis 5.1 mixes are very compressed. The blu ray audios are just the SACD masterings(Elton John and Genesis). TOO much compression, victims of the loudness wars which should NOT apply to high resolution titles.

The Genesis 5.1 mixes are very compressed. The blu ray audios are just the SACD masterings(Elton John and Genesis). TOO much compression, victims of the loudness wars which should NOT apply to high resolution titles.

I've heard that too and do agree, still the best we have for now and maybe forever. I'd still buy this new BluRay if they would lose the track number and song title from the entire DVD slideshow presentation. They did such a great job of inter-mingling live photos with the three screen slides, sometimes highlighting significant slides full screen. But the track and title overlay constantly being on the lower portion of the screen is highly distracting.

I'm all for freedom of speech and I respect your opinion, if that's how you feel fair enough but on a personal level I long for the day you give it a rest about the compression on these discs, it's really getting tedious.

you've made your point and it's taken on board -- and yet when I ask you (more than once now) if you have heard the new Blu-ray's and how you can account for the differences people with no axe to grind are hearing between the SACD and BDA of Yellow Brick Road you don't respond and just keep trotting out the same old negativity about discs that the vast majority of people here rate highly.

Are the hundreds of people on here who voted 10's on the Elton SACDs deaf? Or are they deluded in your eyes and under some grave misapprehension that you need to constantly prove everyone who loves these discs wrong!?

Yes, Compression has been used on them and yes they are louder than is absolutely ideal - it is a shame, needless even - but it is what it is, the surround mixes are great and the discs are not unlistenable for the overwhelming majority of people as a result.

In fact the EJ SACDs are still, almost 10 years on, among the most highly regarded surround music discs ever - check out the QQ Polls and you'll see how well regarded they are around here.

So I ask you, with respect, what are you hoping to achieve by constantly crapping on these discs? Discs that are clearly greatly enjoyed by the vast majority of people and patently worth checking out for people on here who haven't yet discovered them and all the good things about them instead of bleating on about the negative all the time?

I'm all for freedom of speech and I respect your opinion, if that's how you feel fair enough but on a personal level I long for the day you give it a rest about the compression on these discs, it's really getting tedious.

you've made your point and it's taken on board -- and yet when I ask you (more than once now) if you have heard the new Blu-ray's and how you can account for the differences people with no axe to grind are hearing between the SACD and BDA of Yellow Brick Road you don't respond and just keep trotting out the same old negativity about discs that the vast majority of people here rate highly.

Are the hundreds of people on here who voted 10's on the Elton SACDs deaf? Or are they deluded in your eyes and under some grave misapprehension that you need to constantly prove everyone who loves these discs wrong!?

Yes, Compression has been used on them and yes they are louder than is absolutely ideal - it is a shame, needless even - but it is what it is, the surround mixes are great and the discs are not unlistenable for the overwhelming majority of people as a result.

In fact the EJ SACDs are still, almost 10 years on, among the most highly regarded surround music discs ever - check out the QQ Polls and you'll see how well regarded they are around here.

So I ask you, with respect, what are you hoping to achieve by constantly crapping on these discs? Discs that are clearly greatly enjoyed by the vast majority of people and patently worth checking out for people on here who haven't yet discovered them and all the good things about them instead of bleating on about the negative all the time?

What do i hope to achieve? LESS compression on future discs. I am telling the truth. Why do you have an issue with that? I said the mixes are great. The mastering however is not and that is a fact.

Do you have an issue with people saying the Genesis 5.1 mixes are too bright or compressed? LOTS of people do say exactly that.

What do i hope to achieve? LESS compression on future discs. I am telling the truth. Why do you have an issue with that? I said the mixes are great. The mastering however is not and that is a fact.

Do you have an issue with people saying the Genesis 5.1 mixes are too bright or compressed? LOTS of people do say exactly that.

The discs were done a decade ago.. what good will it do? Whatever damage you feel has been done to these has been done. I don't disagree that these decisions should not be made in future but its futile holding up an example of generally well-liked discs. There are and have been much worse offenders.

The upshot is you can still enjoy the mixes for what they are - and in my opinion and the opinions of many many others, the surround on the EJ SACDs sounds superb.

The EJ 5.1's are not heavily DR compressed - look at the DR info I posted in the other thread.. that's a pretty respectable set of results. they are, however, louder than is ideal. You should make that distinction or you are misleading people with your comments.

I don't have an issue because for me personally, too many of the Genesis SACDs suffer poor EQ - they are bright and they are fatiguing (the 80's albums are particularly ear-ache inducing for me, the Peter Gabriel era is better). It's a mastering issue and it's poor EQ choices coupled with inherently bright source material but again what's done is done, these discs were done and dusted years ago and Universal are not spending any time or money creating new mixes or masterings for so many of these Blu-ray reissues. can't you just let it go and move on?

The discs were done a decade ago.. what good will it do? Whatever damage you feel has been done to these has been done. I don't disagree that these decisions should not be made in future but its futile holding up an example of generally well-liked discs. There are and have been much worse offenders.

The upshot is you can still enjoy the mixes for what they are - and in my opinion and the opinions of many many others, the surround on the EJ SACDs sounds superb.

The EJ 5.1's are not heavily DR compressed - look at the DR info I posted in the other thread.. that's a pretty respectable set of results. they are, however, louder than is ideal. You should make that distinction or you are misleading people with your comments.

I don't have an issue because for me personally, too many of the Genesis SACDs suffer poor EQ - they are bright and they are fatiguing (the 80's albums are particularly ear-ache inducing for me, the Peter Gabriel era is better). It's a mastering issue and it's poor EQ choices coupled with inherently bright source material but again what's done is done, these discs were done and dusted years ago and Universal are not spending any time or money creating new mixes or masterings for so many of these Blu-ray reissues. can't you just let it go and move on?

Sorry this is probably the wrong place to post this but all this talk about EJ...Greg Penny just absolutely kills it on the Tumblweed Connection 5.1 mix...If you are a newbie like me or not much of an EJ fan, like I was, ya gotta have it!

Sorry this is probably the wrong place to post this but all this talk about EJ...Greg Penny just absolutely kills it on the Tumblweed Connection 5.1 mix...If you are a newbie like me or not much of an EJ fan, like I was, ya gotta have it!

"Where to Now, Saint PK..?" ;) :p

Genesis SEBTP arrived today. Had one listen thus far. Nice. No harshness. Loud with too much compression yes but nice EQ IMO, not overly bright by any means. First impressions i would recommend to others. Got mine off Amazon UK for £11.84. I wish the Flaming Lips surround discs sounded as nice as this. More 5.1 on Blu ray please, i will definitely support!

Back