Project 3 Records - How to determine the format??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
OK - I'm aware from the Project 3 page (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm) that Project 3 issued albums in all the major vinyl formats...

Of the Project 3 records that I have, they are labelled slightly different to the examples shown on the page above..and in most cases don't (obviously) indicate format. The label colour doesn't seem to help also....

One that is obvious is the Popular Science Test Record. I have the SQ one - (although its not mentioned that its SQ on the cover apart from the catalog number) (PR 401 SQ):
IMG_1130.jpg

I assume that the suffix of QD means QS... e.g. 4 Channel Dynamite (PR 5068 QD) - this seems to fit in with what I've seen of the Mark Anderson discography..
IMG_1126.jpg

But what about the SD suffix (I've got one that is QS and one thats SQ)
Sammy Kaye is definitely QS - as it was only issued in QS (PR 5065 SD) - Ahhh I just noticed the run-out groove has PR 5065 QD - so that explains it:
IMG_1127.jpg

Whereas The Greatest Movie Themes of the Decade is definitely SQ (PR 5081 SD) - The run-out has PR 5081 SQ:
IMG_1129.jpg

Another confusing one is Big Band Hits of the 30's and 40's this doesn't have any suffix - (PR 5056) - The run-out has PR 5056 QD & it is QS:
IMG_1128.jpg

So - use the run-out groove to check... PR XXXX QD for QS and PR XXXX SQ for SQ...

Strange, those pressing numbers look more like Columbia numbers than Project 3 numbers.

Did CBS press Project 3 stuff in NZ?

Just noticed ...

the ones with the LQ prefix are SQ
and the ones with the PJL prefix are QS

Just noticed ...

the ones with the LQ prefix are SQ
and the ones with the PJL prefix are QS

Actually - This isn't correct. I just got "Provocative Quadraphonic" which has a Cat. no. of LQ 50003/4...

Interestingly each of the four sides seems to be one side of other project 3 albums and labelled with a LQ prefix:

5033 Worlds Greatest Jazz Band
5062 Tony Motolla/Superstar Guitar
5065 Sammy Kaye/Swing & Sway
5051 Enoch Light/Big Hit Movie Themes

Project3 (600 x 587).jpg

So - use the run-out groove to check... PR XXXX QD for QS and PR XXXX SQ for SQ...

I just look at the grooves to see which way the amplitude or phase is going or if there are 30kHz carriers there.

:D

Doug

Nice, thanks for that. when i was a wee lad I was fascinated with my Dads "Provocative Quadroponic" LP, Now I know its QS for sure! Many years of trying to decode my Enoch Prj 3 Lps solved. Funny thing is, the stack of AUS pressings ive just looked at only ONE is SQ (big band hits of the 30's) the many others are all QS or QD. The QS one has "S Q A" in the runnout.

Back