Fly Like An Eagle with Bonus DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blrac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I bought this cd with a bonus DVD with the album in 5.1, where it was listed as region free (region 0). I can't get it to play on anything. I don't own any region free players, all mine are set up for the US. I read in reviews on Amazon that most people had the same problem that they couldn't get this to play despite being listed and labelled as region free. One person stated he was able to copy it to his computer and burn it to a disc with the appropriate region code and then he was able to play it. My questions are: how do you do this and what special equipment or software do I need; and has anyone else had this issue with this disc and have you found a different way to listen to the surround mix?

Have you confirmed that its not region 1, if thats your issue, use your DVD Decryption software of choice.. e.g. anyDVD, DVD Decrypter... & burn a disc with multi-region...

DVD Decryption software will tell you the region codes on the disc (IIRC)..

It's interesting to note that (if memory serves) most concert/music video DVD's tend toward Region 0. Regardless, yes, decryption software should tell you its region, and then you can make it a 0 if it isn't already. There *could* be a different reason it doesn't play on your machine, but logic strongly suggests it's a region issue.

ED :)

I bought this cd with a bonus DVD with the album in 5.1, where it was listed as region free (region 0). I can't get it to play on anything. I don't own any region free players, all mine are set up for the US. I read in reviews on Amazon that most people had the same problem that they couldn't get this to play despite being listed and labelled as region free. One person stated he was able to copy it to his computer and burn it to a disc with the appropriate region code and then he was able to play it. My questions are: how do you do this and what special equipment or software do I need; and has anyone else had this issue with this disc and have you found a different way to listen to the surround mix?

Hey All,

I have had problems with one of the versions of the two available editions of the DVD-A of Fly Like An Eagle. You can read about my experiences here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-fly-like-an-eagle-audio-dvd.6804/post-158708
While preparing this post I went back and verified that the problem still persists. Seems like others in this thread have had the same problem. I can report that one of the two editions works perfectly with no problems and no workarounds necessary.

There are two different Deluxe Jewel Box sized editions of this. These are the same size as a normal CD Jewel Case but they open up trifold fashion, and is therefore the package is thicker.

These are manufactured by:

Edsel Catalog number EDSX 3010 (this is the "problem" edition). Bar code (sometimes listed on eBay) = 7 40155 30103 3.

Capitol Catalog number CDP 0946 3 71116 2 8 (this is the "trouble-free" edition). Bar code (sometimes listed on eBay) = 0 9463-71116-2 8

Here is all you need to know to visually tell them apart:

Both packages are the same size and style, and both feature the familiar "bad hair day" photo of Steve Miller on the cover.

However, on the "problem" edition the lettering of "Steve Miller Band" is yellow, and the lettering of "Fly Like An Eagle" is red.

Also, the following words appear on the cover "Special Edition Includes Bonus DVD of Two Hour Live Concert"

Also, the "DVD Video" logo appears in the lower lefthand corner of the cover.

Also, on the back cover there is a photo of Steve Miller in which no guitar can be seen.

In contrast, on the "trouble-free" edition the lettering of "Steve Miller Band" AND the lettering of "Fly Like An Eagle" are reflective gold.

Also, no reference is made to Bonus DVD content on the cover.

Also, in the lower lefthand corner of the cover are the words 30th Anniversary Special Limited Edition. These words are also reflective gold.

Also, on the back cover there is a photo of Steve Miller in which a large portion of his guitar can be seen.

By now it should be obvious that my recommendation is to avoid the ironically monikered Edsel edition and seek the Capitol edition. The good news is that the Capitol edition does in fact have the bonus video footage even though it is not listed as included on the external packaging.

By the way, I love the 5.1 mix herein and use it as demo material for those of my generation!

I hope this helps!

Ken

Last edited:
Just got it last week
Many Thanx to all

Incredible in surround , this album opens up the sound and somehow brings back the original Steve Miller feel that I haven't heard since my favorite album " Number Five " from 1970

All speakers are involved,and its well engineered
The mix is clear and airy with lots of moments of silence

Even the overplayed , loud , Dynamic-less sounding FM " classic hits" are given new life with this 5.1

To hear The Window and
Wild Mountain Honey in 5.1 is heaven.

It's 48k , but i didn't even check it wasn't
higher resolution until after i finished the album

My Acura Demo from 2009 has the same truncated "Space Intro" as is on the Dolby 5.1 album version. The only difference is that it's in Hi-Rez!:banana:

same here, the Acura demo DVD-A I have (the one with Fleetwood Mac's "Monday Morning" on it) has the 30th Anniv. DVD-V 5.1 remix, only in Hi-Rez., as you say :)

I have the DTS 5.1 CD of Fly Like an Eagle. The 'space intro" is in surround.

Are there any other Steve Miller Band surround releases?

Back